IGNORED

Only one of our opening seven games...

Kid in the Riot

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...have we had more possession than the opposition (Brum A); what do we read into that? 

Seems in stark contrast to last season when we bossed most games.

So, deliberate tactic or a sign we're struggling in possession? 

Possibly that our passing tended to be more cautious last season? Plus the loss of Webster.

We are playing a much more counter attacking game. 

Nagy and Massinga step in to break up play and we move the ball fast with energy. In the past we had much slower players looking for passes from the back, our style has changed. We play with energy close down step in and spring.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...have we had more possession than the opposition (Brum A); what do we read into that? 

Tactical? We have a lot less of the ‘to me, to you’ and tend to be looking to get forward and wide much quicker, transitioning much faster.

Having said that, we are not exactly solid either. Injuries not helping that of course, but giving away at least as many chances as we are creating. Not dull!

Stats regarding possession can be misleading. You can have a lot of possession and create nothing. The opposition can have a lot of possession but never look dangerous. You can have less possession than the opposition but still create more chances etc. 

Boro had a lot of possession today but for long periods much of it was just along their back 4. We are looking to move the ball quicker, so don’t tend to hang around unlike last season where Pack for all his qualities would often hold onto the ball way longer than necessary or was good for getting forward.

Didn’t we boss the majority of the opening games when we first got back into the Championship with Cotts, only to lose games on individual errors and the inability to put the ball in the back of the net?

Possession means very little. Scoring more than your opponent is imperative and the final score is all that really matters in the grand scheme of things .

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With afobe and wiemann up top we’re better suited to playing on the break . Bentley comes into that as well , how quickly it starts our attacks . It suits us  atm 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

100% change in tactics....and it's clearly working. 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Stats regarding possession can be misleading. You can have a lot of possession and create nothing. The opposition can have a lot of possession but never look dangerous. You can have less possession than the opposition but still create more chances etc. 

Exactly my view too. 

9 minutes ago, myol'man said:

We seem to be playing a quicker higher risk strategy. Very entertaining to watch, will it get results?

Time will tell

I’m sure LJ will admit we were far too open as a home side today (Though I’ve seen little credit for Boro who I thought were excellent - Ashley Fletcher caused us all sorts of issues with his movement) but if we can get some players back and work on our shape we will get the balance much better I’m sure

Far more positives on the pitch , than negatives for me , and enjoying watching it surely a massive plus 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

That is true but we are giving up possession by not being good enough to keep the ball ourselves at the moment,chasing the ball all game and then expecting to counter attack every time the keeper gets it is not a pedigree for success 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m sure LJ will admit we were far too open as a home side today (Though I’ve seen little credit for Boro who I thought were excellent - Ashley Fletcher caused us all sorts of issues with his movement) but if we can get some players back and work on our shape we will get the balance much better I’m sure

Far more positives on the pitch , than negatives for me , and enjoying watching it surely a massive plus 

Definitely. A significant improvement entertainment-wise on Leeds just under a month ago, and 80%+ of home games last season.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Definitely. A significant improvement entertainment-wise on Leeds just under a month ago, and 80%+ of home games last season.

And in theory , a lot easier to work on and improve shape and structure without the ball than turn a blunt looking side (Which we looked at home last season) into a threatening force

We have creativity  and creating chances and goals now , some work and tweaking which is hardly surprising as it’s a new side / squad in major parts playing in a different way  (I’m actually surprised how many points we’ve acquired to date bearing that in mind) 

Personally i think we look , or have the look of a better side already , than we did last season 

Really enjoying some of what we are seeing , we have some quality to work with 

It seems each of LJs full seasons here our style changes. Not a positive or negative just a thought. 

Perhaps due to the amount of change we get within our squad each season. For sure think we look to hit channels early and often this year to get us up the pitch quicker. Similar to crosses, this comes as a % game. A lot of times it won’t come off leading to teams regaining possession quicker. Not against it per se but also think once/if we get to full strength and gelling that may change yet again. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

It seems each of LJs full seasons here our style changes. Not a positive or negative just a thought. 

Perhaps due to the amount of change we get within our squad each season. For sure think we look to hit channels early and often this year to get us up the pitch quicker. Similar to crosses, this comes as a % game. A lot of times it won’t come off leading to teams regaining possession quicker. Not against it per se but also think once/if we get to full strength and gelling that may change yet again. 

Whether it dawned on him last season Joe but I recall him commenting at one point that out of 7 or 8 wins we’d had , in only one had we had more possession

Possession stats became almost the popular way of analysing a game in the media , and are over stated IMHO

Just one factor

35 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Shape was the issue today.  We had a flat, static shape which got exposed by crossing runners.  @jbcfc told us McNair would break beyond his own forwards, but Fletcher and Johnson did to.

It made for an exciting game, and I thought we were just getting a bit of control after an hour, and Boro had a lot of possession at the start of the second half.  I’m not blaming subs....I don’t we had the right subs to affect the shape without bringing Williams on and going 5212/532.  Perhaps we should have.

But fair play, having conceded two quick goals to fall behind, we roused ourselves and got the equaliser with a pretty simple goal.

Boro were very good, and played a bit of a 4123.  We never really got anyone on Clayton, and if I had one criticism of Weimann and Afobe today it was that they didn’t quite get their press or closing passing lanes down quite right....hence Clayton a lot of time to start their attacks.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Shape was the issue today.  We had a flat, static shape which got exposed by crossing runners.  @jbcfc told us McNair would break beyond his own forwards, but Fletcher and Johnson did to.

It made for an exciting game, and I thought we were just getting a bit of control after an hour, and Boro had a lot of possession at the start of the second half.  I’m not blaming subs....I don’t we had the right subs to affect the shape without bringing Williams on and going 5212/532.  Perhaps we should have.

But fair play, having conceded two quick goals to fall behind, we roused ourselves and got the equaliser with a pretty simple goal.

Boro were very good, and played a bit of a 4123.  We never really got anyone on Clayton, and if I had one criticism of Weimann and Afobe today it was that they didn’t quite get their press or closing passing lanes down quite right....hence Clayton a lot of time to start their attacks.

I thought Clayton was excellent , as was Ashley Fletcher with his movement - caused all sorts of headaches

Said somewhere else - I thought we needed an organiser to calm things down at times and get us reset

44 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I was impressed with their attacking movement generally. Particularly first 20 minutes or so, before we settled into it a bit more. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought Clayton was excellent , as was Ashley Fletcher with his movement - caused all sorts of headaches

Said somewhere else - I thought we needed an organiser to calm things down at times and get us reset

Perhaps Williams might have been the answer then.

Still, we got the point....11 from 6....with lots of injuries....nice little break now.  I think we need it.

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

Possession means very little. Scoring more than your opponent is imperative and the final score is all that really matters in the grand scheme of things .

Bit of a sweeping generalisation to suggest the team scoring more than its opponents most frequently tend to win the league isn't it? 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps Williams might have been the answer then.

Still, we got the point....11 from 6....with lots of injuries....nice little break now.  I think we need it.

With a new side , a new style , plus injuries disrupting I’m surprised at our points tally to date

Lots more positives than any negatives and the negatives the easier ones to fix IMHO

(Looking at Palmer on occasions today I again thought , and not a expression I’d throw around - too good for the Championship in some aspects  )

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

With a new side , a new style , plus injuries disrupting I’m surprised at our points tally to date

Lots more positives than any negatives and the negatives the easier ones to fix IMHO

(Looking at Palmer on occasions today I again thought , and not a expression I’d throw around - too good for the Championship in some aspects  )

Some aspects but nowhere near in terms of his allround game.  Biggest problem with him isn't 'laziness' per se, more that I think he switches off too often.  His vision is outstanding but he would have to improve in a lot of the aspects of his game to be good enough for a higher level.

Archived