IGNORED

Only one of our opening seven games...

Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Some aspects but nowhere near in terms of his allround game.  Biggest problem with him isn't 'laziness' per se, more that I think he switches off too often.  His vision is outstanding but he would have to improve in a lot of the aspects of his game to be good enough for a higher level.

Bear in mind he’s being asked to do here , far more than he has Id suggest at any point in his career to date 

Hes learning ,   and his attitude has been excellent IMHO 

I had him wrong , and wouldn’t have believed I would have seen the work he’s trying to put in tbh 

Potentially outstanding at his level IMHO 

24 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Not sure why the flames, but we have scored 11, one of the top scorers in the league.

Doesn’t flames emoji mean “you’re on fire”, as in I thought you posted a really good post.  I was complimenting you on the simplicity of your post in hitting the mark.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Doesn’t flames emoji mean “you’re on fire”, as in I thought you posted a really good post.  I was complimenting you on the simplicity of your post in hitting the mark.

Sorry Dave I am entering new territory here, I assumed I was to be flamed as in the Biblical sense, Bob are you seeing this!!!?

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...have we had more possession than the opposition (Brum A); what do we read into that? 

Seems in stark contrast to last season when we bossed most games.

So, deliberate tactic or a sign we're struggling in possession? 

Looks like we are still relying on counter attacking teams 

Today there were at least 6 occasions when Bentley looked for a quick throw out to players to start counter attacks and led to good chances

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

...have we had more possession than the opposition (Brum A); what do we read into that? 

Did we boss most games possession wise last season? I'd suggest perhaps not! Mixed bag. If it were earlier I'd pull up the stats for each game but it's late so perhaps Sunday proper!

However it's definitely less possession heavy this year.. Part gameplan, part personnel availability and part formation/tactical setup IMO.

16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I felt last season we had so much pointless possession. We would just knock the ball about and at times would never look like going forward at all. Far to pedestrian for my liking 

I feel we are playing a lot more direct this season. There was a couple of times yesterday where we were under the cosh and within a few seconds we had broke and we were in their box.

I was really impressed with us yesterday. It's just such a huge shame we are carrying the injuries we are as I think this team will concede to many goals to maintain a top 6. That's not a criticism though....Taylor-Moore for example is doing excellently. I just feel he has been thrown in the deep end massively and the learning curve for him his huge 

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Shall I do what I always do and remind people what 'possession' means? 

Possession is the % of passes made in a game.

So City play fewer passes than the opposition. 

This could be that we pass the ball less across the back line, for example.

But I think it because we are more direct than other teams. By 'direct' I mean that we try to play the 'killer pass' at the earliest opportunity.

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I felt last season we had so much pointless possession. We would just knock the ball about and at times would never look like going forward at all. Far to pedestrian for my liking 

I feel we are playing a lot more direct this season. There was a couple of times yesterday where we were under the cosh and within a few seconds we had broke and we were in their box.

I was really impressed with us yesterday. It's just such a huge shame we are carrying the injuries we are as I think this team will concede to many goals to maintain a top 6. That's not a criticism though....Taylor-Moore for example is doing excellently. I just feel he has been thrown in the deep end massively and the learning curve for him his huge 

Agree, much better watch yesterday than about 20 home games last season!!!

Boro played their part too.  That helped make a very good spectacle and with so many chances I tended to watch the game rather than look too much analytically. 

Defensively, I think Moore has come in and improved, but he’s gonna have blips, but what else is LJ meant to do, so I agree.

When we are back to full strength, a back line with options of:

Hunt or Pereira 

Kalas, Baker, Moore, Williams, Wright

Dasilva (Rowe)

in front of Bentley or Mäenpää looks good, especially with Nagy in front of them in midfield too.

Lets get a couple of players back like Nagy and Kalas, and see where we are then.  September has only 3 games, so time to work on the training ground....as it is a new team.

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Stats regarding possession can be misleading. You can have a lot of possession and create nothing. The opposition can have a lot of possession but never look dangerous. You can have less possession than the opposition but still create more chances etc. 

Exactly right.

Im not sure why some fans see possession stats as having any relevance. 

It’s quite possible to have 20% possession and win the game. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Boro played their part too.  That helped make a very good spectacle and with so many chances I tended to watch the game rather than look too much analytically. 

Defensively, I think Moore has come in and improved, but he’s gonna have blips, but what else is LJ meant to do, so I agree.

Hunt or Pereira 

Dasilva (Rowe)

in front of Bentley or Mäenpää looks good, especially with Nagy in front of them in midfield too.

Lets get a couple of players back like Nagy and Kalas, and see where we are then.  September has only 3 games, so time to work on the training ground....as it is a new team.

Astute comments comrade.

And if City fans are grumbling about the game being open, then so should Boro fans, because we cut them open countless times, especially on the break. 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Exactly right.

Im not sure why some fans see possession stats as having any relevance. 

It’s quite possible to have 20% possession and win the game. 

It's the hangover from the Barcelona and Spanish sides of Iniesta and Xavi. People have been mesmerised into thinking possession is key.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hunt or Pereira 

Dasilva (Rowe)

It was an entertaining game to watch as a neutral Dave... offensively both teams were going for it.

However... tactically...when out of possession and defending it was often cringeworthy to see what positions some of our players were taking. Wayyyyyy too open. But I guess that's what makes it 'entertaining'...as it's the human error and imperfections that allow the chances to be created.

If Boro's chances had gone in, I wonder whether fans would still have been entertained?

Watching yesterday, reminded me a little of when we came up under SC and we were playing open attacking football, but getting wooped every week.

I think the International break has come at a great time. We need it.

As for a full fit team. I'd like to see...

______________Bentley_______________

_____Kalas_____Baker____Moore______

Pedro__________Nagy_________DaSilva

_____Brownhill________Messengo_____

______________Palmer_______________

______________Afobe________________

Or...

______________Bentley_____________

Pedro____Kalas______Baker____DaSilva

_______Nagy__________Messengo_____

___Brownhill______________Palmer____

_________Weimann__Afobe___________

?

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was an entertaining game to watch as a neutral Dave... offensively both teams were going for it.

However... tactically...when out of possession and defending it was often cringeworthy to see what positions some of our players were taking. Wayyyyyy too open. But I guess that's what makes it 'entertaining'...as it's the human error and imperfections that allow the chances to be created.

If Boro's chances had gone in, I wonder whether fans would still have been entertained?

Watching yesterday, reminded me a little of when we came up under SC and we were playing open attacking football, but getting wooped every week.

I think the International break has come at a great time. We need it.

As for a full fit team. I'd like to see...

______________Bentley_______________

_____Kalas_____Baker____Moore______

Pedro__________Nagy_________DaSilva

_____Brownhill________Messengo_____

______________Palmer_______________

______________Afobe________________

Or...

______________Bentley_____________

Pedro____Kalas______Baker____DaSilva

_______Nagy__________Messengo_____

___Brownhill______________Palmer____

_________Weimann__Afobe___________

?

You wouldn’t have Rowe starting in either team?

Ive certainly been impressed with what I’ve seen of him so far.

With a fully fit squad LJ will have an abundance of talent - it’ll probably give him a headache.

19 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Boro had a lot of possession today but for long periods much of it was just along their back 4.............

Just like City did when SoD was manager. Endless sideways passes that achieved nothing. Happy days (or not)

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You wouldn’t have Rowe starting in either team?

Ive certainly been impressed with what I’ve seen of him so far.

With a fully fit squad LJ will have an abundance of talent - it’ll probably give him a headache.

Rowe has been fantastic...however I think DaSilva has a better all round ability.

From what I've seen...Messengo, Nagy, DaSilva and Palmer...once dialled in together, could prove very potent in moving the ball around well and quickly. Others could feed off those four nicely.

Tbh... there's an argument to play Rowe at LB and DaSilva in front of him. Both rotating duties down the left.

Like you say we have an abundance of quality options when all fit.

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The fact that Nagy isn’t there. He played most of the game against Brum and then in the 45 we had him on for against QPR we had more possession 

3 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

The fact that Nagy isn’t there. He played most of the game against Brum and then in the 45 we had him on for against QPR we had more possession 

I think that possession stats are pretty meaningless.

I as posted just now any team can win a game with a low percentage of possession.

Its what a team does when in possession that really matters.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think that possession stats are pretty meaningless.

I as posted just now any team can win a game with a low percentage of possession.

Its what a team does when in possession that really matters.

Beg to differ Robbo.

When in possession you are less tired than chasing. Sometimes the aim off possession is to move the ball around, tire the opposition out, keep the ball deep and let the opposition come to you.

This then creates space behind which you can then exploit.

We aim to do this when in possession.

When out of possession, we press when their are triggers. I've noticed we often press higher in the first half of games with energy. looking to steal the ball or intercept higher up.

As teams are tiring...we sit deeper. Drawing the opposition into our defensive third, then counter-attack when we steal the ball and launch into an attack at speed.

Essentially, the tactic involves dropping deep, allowing the opposition to have the ball and come forward with it, committing players forward and leaving gaps in behind as they go. The aim is to take the ball off the opposition, exploiting the space left to attack and score.

We use both possession and counter attack in different parts of the game.

Archived