IGNORED

What’s the point of VAR in the Premier League?

Dr Balls

32 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

For me, he had plenty of time to move his hand so therefore it should be hand ball. 

So you want him to move his arm from a natural position to an unnatural position to try avoiding the ball, but if it then still catches his arm its now in an unnatural position and will be given as a penalty, its tucked into his body, not sure where he's supposed to try and move it.

7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’d change the offside rule, so there had to be clear daylight between the attacker and the last defender.  It seems mad to me that part of your body can be onside and part off.

Okay so daylight between all the body/upper body or what? if its all body then you'll get the discussion is a fraction of his boot still in line with the defender etc

17 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’d change the offside rule, so there had to be clear daylight between the attacker and the last defender.  It seems mad to me that part of your body can be onside and part off.

Like the ball being over the line or not for a goal.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Admittedly the poor punter at the ground doesn’t get to see any of that, same as football

At rugby, both league and union, the crowd get to see what's being reviewed on the big screen whilst the game is stopped. That in itself becomes a spectacle and adds to the atmosphere.

VAR needed to happen but laws and methods around it need refining. IE; officials make an on field decision and signal it then VAR looks for "Clear and obvious" contradictions otherwise on field call stands. Will speed up the process as an added bonus plus similar tweaks to the above. 

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

VAR is crap, and it's being made worse by the way the PL is implementing it. They're petrified of being seen to be undermining their referees, even on obvious mistakes like that penalty shout tonight.

In fairness though it worked with the goal. 

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

In fairness tho, a premier League lino should not be making such a bad call, he wasn't marginally onside, he was massively onside.

I agree but that's why VAR is a good thing when it can correct such a shocking decision.

9 hours ago, hodge said:

So you want him to move his arm from a natural position to an unnatural position to try avoiding the ball, but if it then still catches his arm its now in an unnatural position and will be given as a penalty, its tucked into his body, not sure where he's supposed to try and move it.

Okay so daylight between all the body/upper body or what? if its all body then you'll get the discussion is a fraction of his boot still in line with the defender etc

Then bring back the definition of “seeking to gain an advantage”, that way you can say that’s offside as they are a body width ahead of their marker. 

Having your toe or shoulder slightly ahead of the player is not seeking to gain an advantage.

• Admin
19 hours ago, hodge said:

The whole body, limbs, hands, feet, whatever, clear daylight and it’s offside.  What could be simpler?

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The whole body, limbs, hands, feet, whatever, clear daylight and it’s offside.  What could be simpler?

As said, if there's the smallest part of a boot or hand in line or not and still gets flagged offside

• Admin
2 minutes ago, hodge said:

As said, if there's the smallest part of a boot or hand in line or not and still gets flagged offside

The VAR technology should be able to distinguish clear daylight between players.  What ever rule you had, there would still be linesman errors.

Thought I’d resurrect this thread given arguably the worst VAR decision given against Fulham for Newcastle tonight. 

Correct decision: yellow card for diving. 

actual decision: penalty and red card. 

what makes things worse is that the ref reviewed it pitch Side. 

Game has officially gone. 

Archived