Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire reds

Dan Bentley

Yes, I’ve been impressed too. He’s made good saves and his distribution is good. He seems like a strong character as well. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, I’ve been impressed too. He’s made good saves and his distribution is good. He seems like a strong character as well. 

Seemingly he had a shit season last season and his confidence was shot so to will be interesting to see if he has a strong character when he makes a big mistake and how he deals with it.

• Like 1

I really wasn't convinced on him over the first few games (and pre season). 

I was totally wrong on him.  Goes to show you ant judge a player on a few games.

He has a big part to play in launching quick counters . 

I have been very impressed with the lad . I believe he has kept us in at least three of our six games with good saves at key moments.

• Like 3

He is a brilliant keeper and he had an excellent game on Saturday making several awesome saves and his kicking is the best I have seen from a City keeper in my 30 + years as a City fan.

I believe Maenpaa is now fit, but he is unlikely to replace Bentley any time soon - unless Dan gets injured. 

The few that were concerned by him were right to be concerned. He was very poor last season. However I think he has done well.

But him or Maenpaa? Maenpaa for me if I had to compare the two. But I imagine Bentley will have to have some bad games for that to happen. Thought he had a couple of very dodgy moments in the game yesterday that he got away with.

Maenpaa is a goalie who barely has any bad moments, ever. That's the level he was at last season. Best goalie in Championship last season, or close with Henderson. Don't get how Randolph got in the team of the year, made numerous mistakes.

Great competition between the 2.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gordie said:

Seemingly he had a shit season last season and his confidence was shot so to will be interesting to see if he has a strong character when he makes a big mistake and how he deals with it.

His young son was critically ill during last season and he’s was clearly distracted by it. 

Now that he’s recovered from that he appears to be getting back to the performance levels that had him touted as one of the best young keepers outside the premier league, a few seasons back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

His young son was critically ill during last season and he’s was clearly distracted by it. 

Now that he’s recovered from that he appears to be getting back to the performance levels that had him touted as one of the best young keepers outside the premier league, a few seasons back. 

Wasn't it a similar situation last season for Benik,,I'm sure I read that his daughter had been rather unwell??

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

People often forget that footballers are actual human beings just like you and I. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

He is a brilliant keeper and he had an excellent game on Saturday making several awesome saves and his kicking is the best I have seen from a City keeper in my 30 + years as a City fan.

I believe Maenpaa is now fit, but he is unlikely to replace Bentley any time soon - unless Dan gets injured. 

I’m a little way away from the practice net up in the Lansdown Stand, but there appears to be good camaraderie between Bentley, Mäenpää, Gilmartin and Mountain.  Guess it’s the old “goalkeeper’s Union” stuff, but good to see us with strength in this position.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I was totally wrong on him.  Goes to show you ant judge a player on a few games.

You seem to forget that here on Otib we regularly write players off before they even kicked a ball for us!! 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

I'll be man enough to admit likewise.

He's sound as a pound and I'm very happy to see him between the sticks. 

He's particularly good at those close-range "reaction saves" where you have to block a shot or header taken from a few feet away which often you have only a split second to see.

Top man Dan.

The only gripe I have is that yesterday he chose to punch the ball a few times rather than catch it when catching it seemed the more obvious choice. Although I did wonder if this maybe had something to do with the ball being wet so he chose the safest option.

Good signing. Seems to be a good communicator, which imo is so important from a goalkeeper. His distribution is not only good, it’s quick, which I’m sure was one of the reasons he was signed, with our style of play in mind. He is happy to have the ball to feet, which is so important in the modern game. COYR 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wasn't it a similar situation last season for Benik,,I'm sure I read that his daughter had been rather unwell??

I’ve not heard that about Afobe, but possibly. 

I doubt that Stoke fans booing their top scorer helped much either..! 

47 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Good signing. Seems to be a good communicator, which imo is so important from a goalkeeper. His distribution is not only good, it’s quick, which I’m sure was one of the reasons he was signed, with our style of play in mind. He is happy to have the ball to feet, which is so important in the modern game. COYR 

I noticed that yesterday always talking to the defenders especially Moore . 

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Yes, I believe so. Affected his sleep, diet & basically lifestyle. Which if anyone has ever been in a similar situation & anyone with a brain really, would totally understand. COYR 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I noticed that yesterday always talking to the defenders especially Moore . 

Definitely. Anyone know what his connection with Assombolonga is? They had an extended hug during the line ups and handshakes, then he was giving Moore advice about how to handle him in the first half. 

I also noticed them laughing and joking a couple of times at corners.

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Definitely. Anyone know what his connection with Assombolonga is? They had an extended hug during the line ups and handshakes, then he was giving Moore advice about how to handle him in the first half. 

I also noticed them laughing and joking a couple of times at corners.

Assombalonga had a loan at Southend while Bentley was there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

I wouldn't be surprised if our scouting team were aware of both personal circumstances affecting these players, and factored them in. 

Form is temporary, class is permanent.  If you can find and explanation for a dip in form, then you can get yourself a bargain. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Not only a good all round keeper but an excellent communicator as well. Always pointing to where he wants players and not afraid to give them a bit of verbal if he thinks they should have closed down quicker or marked a bit tighter. His speed of thought when he gets the ball to get us attacking is something we have lacked for a while and with his kicking game he's up there with the best in the championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

The few that were concerned by him were right to be concerned. He was very poor last season. However I think he has done well.

But him or Maenpaa? Maenpaa for me if I had to compare the two. But I imagine Bentley will have to have some bad games for that to happen. Thought he had a couple of very dodgy moments in the game yesterday that he got away with.

Maenpaa is a goalie who barely has any bad moments, ever. That's the level he was at last season. Best goalie in Championship last season, or close with Henderson. Don't get how Randolph got in the team of the year, made numerous mistakes.

Great competition between the 2.

The majority of a keepers game is played  with the feet. And it is there that Bentley excels. He offers a tactical flexibility that Bristol City do not have with other options, and have not had since the back pass rule changed how Keepers can play. That is a bold statement to make but his ability to hit players using multiple techniques outstrips Maenpaa's easily. He offers the team an opportunity as an extra outfield player, an ability he has is not yet being fully utilised and maybe won't be with the loss of Webster at this point to play off.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The majority of a keepers game is played  with the feet. And it is there that Bentley excels. He offers a tactical flexibility that Bristol City do not have with other options, and have not had since the back pass rule changed how Keepers can play. That is a bold statement to make but his ability to hit players using multiple techniques outstrips Maenpaa's easily. He offers the team an opportunity as an extra outfield player, an ability he has is not yet being fully utilised and maybe won't be with the loss of Webster at this point to play off.  

I actually think Maenpaa is just as good in his distribution. Maybe his touch is not as good as Bentley's, but Maenpaa really distributed the ball excellently last season imo.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I actually think Maenpaa is just as good in his distribution. Maybe his touch is not as good as Bentley's, but Maenpaa really distributed the ball excellently last season imo.

Maenpaa is good not remarkable. Maenpaa uses less techniques fluently and so offers less flexibility. Bentley goes across the spectrum of distribution skills through over arm, javelin, side arms throws and use of drills, drives, half volley, side volley, wedges with feet … In the past I posted about signing Bentley and ahem a certain chap called Webster because of the flexibility they offered in possession. The point I made was about his distribution, other aspects of his game are unremarkable versus what he is capable of with his feet and throws. The player makes so much sense for Bristol City if the club is dedicated to playing on the deck, this lad for an extended period has been one of the best outside of the Premiership.

I would like to say I have been as bang on with others players I would like to see in a City shirt but no I have been crap .. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

His “bad season” was probably completely exaggerated anyway. He’s been great so far. It’s nice that we now have two top keepers.

I rate Bentley’s distribution from quick throws. Right up there with Basso.

Edited by David Brent
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Maenpaa is good not remarkable. Maenpaa uses less techniques fluently and so offers less flexibility. Bentley goes across the spectrum of distribution skills through over arm, javelin, side arms throws and use of drills, drives, half volley, side volley, wedges with feet … In the past I posted about signing Bentley and ahem a certain chap called Webster because of the flexibility they offered in possession. The point I made was about his distribution, other aspects of his game are unremarkable versus what he is capable of with his feet and throws. The player makes so much sense for Bristol City if the club is dedicated to playing on the deck, this lad for an extended period has been one of the best outside of the Premiership.

I would like to say I have been as bang on with others players I would like to see in a City shirt but no I have been crap .. 

I was going on about how good Webster was for a couple of years. But admittedly never thought about us signing Bentley, and actually thought it might be a bad signing when we did due to his very poor season with Brentford. So far I am wrong on that one.

Bentley may have the technical qualities, but I have yet to really see his end results of where the ball ends up as being better than Maenpaa. In fact I would argue Maenpaa's distribution has been better based on what we have seen so far, though I understand that could well change as it's early days for Bentley. \

They're both certainly big upgrades in their distribution than what we have been used to down the Gate.

Becoming a popular guy with the fans of BCFC, and rightly so.

I always feel we've got a chance when DB bombs out, narrows the angle and makes himself big.

Well played, Daniel Bentley, you're doing rather well here.

Edited by AppyDAZE

22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

His “bad season” was probably completely exaggerated anyway. He’s been great so far. It’s nice that we now have two top keepers.

I rate Bentley’s distribution from quick throws. Right up there with Basso.

No he really did have some shockers last season, a LOT of simple mistakes. 

3 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

You seem to forget that here on Otib we regularly write keepers off before they even kicked a ball out of touch for us!! 

Forgive the little alterations .

:whistle2:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I've noticed he's good on the dec, too. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

That compilation of mistakes really had me worried. Some people on here said everyone makes mistakes. Well there were about a dozen or so mistakes that are as bad mistakes as you will ever see. I still think he looks a bit erratic at times, one cross that was easy to catch yesterday he pushed in the air and he caught it the second time, and in the second half he came wildly for a ball in crowd of players he was never going to get to.

Am I being overly critical? No because the levels he has to play at to get in our team are very high, because we have the excellent Maenpaa back fit, who was superb today against Leeds. But I am impressed with what I have seen so far from Bentley, and at 2 million, possibly rising to 4, it looks like very good business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The only gripe I have is that yesterday he chose to punch the ball a few times rather than catch it when catching it seemed the more obvious choice. Although I did wonder if this maybe had something to do with the ball being wet so he chose the safest option.

I guess you mean when he punched it straight up into the air before it came down and he was able to claim it? Did you see after he kicked it upfield he was furious with himself and let out a few big screams to release pent up frustration or anger. He clearly didn't want to punch but had too. Once he had a few yells and punched the air a bit he was able to concentrate again. So dont be too hard on him, he obviously knew he didn't make the best decision in his eyes.

I think he has now settled in well after a bit of a nervy start. As I have said before if we could play Leeds now instead of the first game where everyone was unsettled, we would give them a much closer game I believe.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Selred said:

Fair enough. I thought it had just been read on a Brentford forum.

I wondered about the punch straight up at the time but on reflection I think if he`d punched it forward it would have hit Assombalonga and maybe gone in. By doing what he did and getting in position to catch it when it came down he ought to be OK as if he`s challenged by one of theirs he just goes down and gets the foul.

Still a bit risky though, he`s relying on the ref to give it if it happens.

2 hours ago, JakeOTIB said:

Crazy to think that we’ve got the best goalkeeper in the Championship, League One and League two :)

Is Heaton still ours and still in the Prem? 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Brent said:

Fair enough. I thought it had just been read on a Brentford forum.

I can only comment about Brentford away and he was noticed then targeted for intimidation by our fans, nothing abusive but just pressure every time he was called into action. You could see it made him uncomfortable and forced into mistakes.

17 hours ago, Up The City! said:

People often forget that footballers are actual human beings just like you and I. 

If you are referring to their huge wages, they are nothing like me.

If you are referring to tax dodging, drink driving, shagging grandmas, dogging in car parks, and faking injury for a day off..... you have a point.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I can only comment about Brentford away and he was noticed then targeted for intimidation by our fans, NOTHING ABUSIVE but just pressure every time he was called into action. You could see it made him uncomfortable and forced into mistakes.

Nothing abusive??? Has his mum actually got a "c#ck and some b#llocks" then???

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I still think he looks a bit erratic at times, one cross that was easy to catch yesterday he pushed in the air and he caught it the second time, and in the second half he came wildly for a ball in crowd of players he was never going to get to.

If he didn't have the odd erratic moment, he'd been playing in the Prem for someone else.  

9 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

If he didn't have the odd erratic moment, he'd been playing in the Prem for someone else.  

Maenpaa doesn't have the odd erratic moment though and he's a championship goalie.

• Like 1