IGNORED

Old Firm game

slartibartfast

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

For as long as I can remember, way before the Premier League, there has always been a 'big 5' or 'big 6' - I'm not sure the Premier League has really changed that very much.

Going into the season, barring a freak season like Leicester, it's always a pick from four or five clubs that have a chance to win it, that never changes, it's just the clubs that have a chance that change over time.

The Premier League hasn't made the blindest bit of difference to that.

And it could easily be a 7th this year, Liverpool.

Rich, yes there was a big six but it was far more competitive before Premier League, for instance in the 70s Leeds, Derby and Forest all won the Title, in the 80s you had Villa and Everton win it. West Ham and Watford both finished top 3.

As we all know the Premier League and Champions League money really has spoilt the game. Very rarely are the Champions League winners even their Nations champions.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I didn’t even bother with it.

No doubt it’ll be all over Talk Sport on Monday morning when the Scots take over...........:sleeping:

I might be tempted to phone in and give my opinion on Scottish football.

Think big al’s on holiday so we’ll be saved from that hopefully 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

For a country of only 5 million the SPL isn’t all that bad. It’s ridiculous to compare a football nation with a population of over 55 million to one with 5.. Celtic and Rangers are Arguably bigger than any Premier League club in terms of fanbases too IMO.  You only have to see the amount of there fans that travel to big European games to see that..wasn’t there 150,000 Rangers fans in Manchester for the Uefa cup final in 2008? Fanatical support.

I went to that game. From the train up, arrival at Piccadilly, pre-game pub, match itself and post-game carnage, my own experience of Rangers fans is I am not sure I have seen a bigger bunch of c<nts at a football match before or since.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I went to that game. From the train up, arrival at Piccadilly, pre-game pub, match itself and post-game carnage, my own experience of Rangers fans is I am not sure I have seen a bigger bunch of c<nts at a football match before or since.

lots of jocks + lots of beer = lots of carnage...…..

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Gets right on my tits that bloke. 

He does a lot for clubs with dodgy owners by trying to contact them but when it comes to Scottish football he’s a pompous arse.

I might not even tune in despite TS being my default radio channel.

3 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

Rich, yes there was a big six but it was far more competitive before Premier League, for instance in the 70s Leeds, Derby and Forest all won the Title, in the 80s you had Villa and Everton win it. West Ham and Watford both finished top 3.

As we all know the Premier League and Champions League money really has spoilt the game. Very rarely are the Champions League winners even their Nations champions.

Yes very much so. I remember WBA in 1979(?) looking contenders until they lost at the Gate on an April (?) evening. 

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

For as long as I can remember, way before the Premier League, there has always been a 'big 5' or 'big 6' - I'm not sure the Premier League has really changed that very much.

Going into the season, barring a freak season like Leicester, it's always a pick from four or five clubs that have a chance to win it, that never changes, it's just the clubs that have a chance that change over time.

The Premier League hasn't made the blindest bit of difference to that.

And it could easily be a 7th this year, Liverpool.

Probably not after Manchester City have beaten them twice. But the point is that while there were runs of dominance in the old first division, between 1967 and 1973 a different club won the championship in each of those 7 years. Also, clubs were in the race for much longer and 20 different sides finished in the top 3 from 1967 to 1992, whereas only 12 sides have finished in the top 3 in the Premier League. These days our 'football experts' are writing off any side that loses 2 games. Apparently only Manchester City and Liverpool can win the Premier league now, with all other teams vying for the 2 remaining champions league spots, although that's limited to Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs too. Thank christ for the Championship keeping football interesting. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

He does a lot for clubs with dodgy owners by trying to contact them but when it comes to Scottish football he’s a pompous arse.

I might not even tune in despite TS being my default radio channel.

Talk Sport is a dire station appealing to the lowest common denominator and as far as I can tell is only listened to by loud mouth taxi drivers, thick northern lorry drivers, and sad people with no life or friends.

Which group are you in?

40 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Talk Sport is a dire station appealing to the lowest common denominator and as far as I can tell is only listened to by loud mouth taxi drivers, thick northern lorry drivers, and sad people with no life or friends.

Which group are you in?

Probably in one of the tolerant, liberal, non judgemental groups of listeners who find the presenters, callers and content entertaining.

42 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Which group are you in?

None, but you’re a right wit CR. You really should phone in to TS and share your erudite talents with the nation.

30 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

Probably in one of the tolerant, liberal, non judgemental groups of listeners who find the presenters, callers and content entertaining.

Tolerant non judgemental people don't listen to Talk Sport - they are the antithesis of their core base who are made up of opinionated ignorant Estrela drinking chavs who no doubt all voted Brexit and hang St George Cross flags from their Magaluf balcony whilst 'En vacance'

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Tolerant non judgemental people don't listen to Talk Sport - they are the antithesis of their core base who are made up of opinionated ignorant Estrela drinking chavs who no doubt all voted Brexit and hang St George Cross flags from their Magaluf balcony whilst 'En vacance'

Another top example of your acid wit CR - you really should phone in to TS and share your talent with the nation.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m really surprised that we English have any interest in Scottish football. It’s always been a two horse race and always will be.

Personally I think it’s crap.

Why do you continually ridicule a country of 5m inhabitants that manages to support 42 clubs in their top four divisions? Their national team has punched well above its weight in the recent past, out-performing the England team despite only having less than a tenth of our population ... and Scotland has given us a plethora of world class players.

Bristol City’s history is also indebted to Scotland - of many examples is Gerry Gow, my fave City player ever.

And Rangers beat the best team in England twice in European competition in 1992 - bet you weren’t calling their teams ‘crap’ at that point.

Scotland is a tiny country yet it competes, both home and abroad it competes. We have a population of 55m yet some of the attendances at our 92 (now 91) clubs are pitiful - Scotland has less than a tenth of our population yet it supports 42 clubs with bloody decent attendances given the relative demographics.

Your continual sniping at Scottish football and dismissal of its standard is boring....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why do you continually ridicule a country of 5m inhabitants that manages to support 42 clubs in their top four divisions? Their national team has punched well above its weight in the recent past, out-performing the England team despite only having less than a tenth of our population ... and Scotland has given us a plethora of world class players.

Bristol City’s history is also indebted to Scotland - of many examples is Gerry Gow, my fave City player ever.

And Rangers beat the best team in England twice in European competition in 1992 - bet you weren’t calling their teams ‘crap’ at that point.

Scotland is a tiny country yet it competes, both home and abroad it competes. We have a population of 55m yet some of the attendances at our 92 (now 91) clubs are pitiful - Scotland has less than a tenth of our population yet it supports 42 clubs with bloody decent attendances given the relative demographics.

Your continual sniping at Scottish football and dismissal of its standard is boring....

Scotland is a beautiful place, been all over it many times. I love it there. The people are welcoming, helpful and are great fun. It’s so lovely that Mrs Robbo and I seriously considered moving up there at one stage having taken annual holidays up there for several years.

So.....I have absolutely no complaints about the country or the people.

My ‘sniping’ as you put it is aimed entirely at their football. I’ve watched several games up there live over the years and compared to the Championship and the PL it’s truly of low quality and yet we hear and see via the media just how well Rangers and Celtic are doing in the SPL.

The reality is that there is no serious competition for either club. 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Scotland is a beautiful place, been all over it many times. I love it there. The people are welcoming, helpful and are great fun. It’s so lovely that Mrs Robbo and I seriously considered moving up there at one stage having taken annual holidays up there for several years.

So.....I have absolutely no complaints about the country or the people.

My ‘sniping’ as you put it is aimed entirely at their football. I’ve watched several games up there live over the years and compared to the Championship and the PL it’s truly of low quality and yet we hear and see via the media just how well Rangers and Celtic are doing in the SPL.

The reality is that there is no serious competition for either club. 

The SPL doesn’t exist and I posted “your continual sniping at Scottish football...” so I’d already accepted your sniping was ‘aimed entirely at their football’ ...

3 hours ago, hollydog said:

Yes very much so. I remember WBA in 1979(?) looking contenders until they lost at the Gate on an April (?) evening. 

I remember something very similar happening to WBA back in March 1976, although at The Hawthorns rather than at Ashton Gate.

Fortunately for WBA, however, they did just scrape through.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Tolerant non judgemental people don't listen to Talk Sport - they are the antithesis of their core base who are made up of opinionated ignorant Estrela drinking chavs who no doubt all voted Brexit and hang St George Cross flags from their Magaluf balcony whilst 'En vacance'

*Estrella ...

*En vacances ...

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Sadly it’s you who’s intolerant and illiberal and sadly out of touch with the realities of modern life, populism, a concept I’m sure you despise, is merely the voice of democracy in the new age of digital communication, watch out for more of it as the masses grasp and exercise its potential.

Archived