IGNORED

U23s LIVE v Leeds (Merged)

ExiledAjax

Leeds could have scored plenty if it wasn't for the superb Maenpaa. To be fair that was a very strong Leeds side.

Maenpaa - outstanding. Just so good. I'd have him in our first team personally.

Harrison - looks quite tall and strong. Left centre back of a 3. Looks comfortable bringing it out. I like the look of him.

Williams - looked solid enough. Decent on the ball as we know.

Baldwin - looked decent. Would say Harrison excites me more from this performance.

Rees - right footed left wing back. Very impressed. Very quick, made some good challenges. Went on a little run and good shot at goal. Surprised by him.

Watkins - had a really good game. I said a while ago he might be more effective at wing back. He looked it here. Very strong runs with the ball, works his socks off. Wouldn't surprise me if we see him right wing back for us this season. It's definitely an option I reckon.

Bakinson - awful. Gave it away more than any other player. Just looked so poor to me. Needs a loan.

Walsh - not great. Did a few good things. Bit disappointed in his performance, expect more.

Towler - didn't get a lot of the ball but looks very big and strong for his age. Works hard and clearly has a bit of class, nice touch and can use either foot. Very highly rated and he shown little glimpses.

Semenyo - not great, but shown his pace and some nice touches at times. Works hard. Clearly got huge potential, but it was mainly all Leeds.

Diedhiou - not particularly great from him. Maybe needs more around him to get the best out of him.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Leeds could have scored plenty if it wasn't for the superb Maenpaa. To be fair that was a very strong Leeds side.

Harrison - looks quite tall and strong. Left centre back of a 3. Looks comfortable bringing it out. I like the look of him.

Baldwin - looked decent. Would say Harrison excites me more from this performance.

Rees - right footed left wing back. Very impressed. Very quick, made some good challenges. Went on a little run and good shot at goal. Surprised by him.

Watkins - had a really good game. I said a while ago he might be more effective at wing back. He looked it here. Very strong runs with the ball, works his socks off. Wouldn't surprise me if we see him right wing back for us this season. It's definitely an option I reckon.

Bakinson - awful. Gave it away more than any other player. Just looked so poor to me. Needs a loan.

Walsh - not great. Did a few good things. Bit disappointed in his performance, expect more.

Towler - didn't get a lot of the ball but looks very big and strong for his age. Works hard and clearly has a bit of class, nice touch and can use either foot. Very highly rated and he shown little glimpses.

Semenyo - not great, but shown his pace and some nice touches at times. Works hard. Clearly got huge potential, but it was mainly all Leeds.

Diedhiou - not particularly great from him. Maybe needs more around him to get the best out of him.

I think that's pretty accurate.

When people are criticising LJ for team selections, I suggest taking in these little bits of evidence as to why players like Semenyo/Walsh/Watkins/Bakinson et al don't start for the first team.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Towler 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Long blonde hair? Towler if so

Thanks.

Liked what I saw of him - and Harrison as well.

Semenyo still looks so raw to me, still only 19 so time on his side.

The senior/fringe players did nothing to help them get nearer the first team imo. I'm thinking of Walsh and Bakinson in particular, they were up against some strong players but they needed to do a lot more.

Williams strolled through the game well enough and did what he had to do, another 90 minutes and he should be ready for the first team I would have thought, if not now.

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Anything else on Towler? Physically reminds me of De Ligt, been really interested in his development.

15 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Anything else on Towler? Physically reminds me of De Ligt, been really interested in his development.

Not really much else I can say. Didn't really get a lot of the ball. Would have helped if Walsh and Bakinson had better games than they did. Strike force not great either.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Thanks.

Liked what I saw of him - and Harrison as well.

Semenyo still looks so raw to me, still only 19 so time on his side.

The senior/fringe players did nothing to help them get nearer the first team imo. I'm thinking of Walsh and Bakinson in particular, they were up against some strong players but they needed to do a lot more.

Williams strolled through the game well enough and did what he had to do, another 90 minutes and he should be ready for the first team I would have thought, if not now.

In no way am I writing either off, but:

Walsh - for all the nice flashes, I just can’t ever see him helping to control a centre of midfield at Championship level.  Hope he proves me wrong.  He does have technical skills, but I worry he can’t get on the ball in the hurly-burly pace of top end Champ football.

Bakinson - I see some potential, he moves the ball well at his feet, but his passing is not good.  The very little I saw of him at Newport, I was disappointed in terms of the rave reviews he was getting.  But I accept they were odd games, bits of games, and others will have seen much more of him...and have generally been impressed by him.

As it stands, making a very short-term judgement, I would really worry if our first team midfield contained either at this point.  Happy to be told otherwise.  This also based on the impact Morrell is having at Lincoln.  Not just starting every week, but MOTM candidate every week too.  I think his game is much more suited to Champ football that either Liam or Tyreeq.

5 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Interesting.  Bentley was also rather good yesterday and I can see why we paid a lot of money for him.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some are suggesting it was as low as £2m.

I’ve seen rumours of between £2 and £4m.

£2m is the understanding of my journalist mate with very strong Brentford FC connections. He did say there could be add-ons.

Good goalies though are always a fraction of the price of good forwards, for some reason. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some are suggesting it was as low as £2m.

I’ve seen rumours of between £2 and £4m.

He was sought after by City some years ago when he was a 'promising' young keeper at Southend and touted as being a future England keeper.

I seem to recall that the approx. £2M fee being quoted by Southend at that time put off City from actually bidding, so, notwithstanding his drop in form with Brentford last season, I would suggest City paid an absolute minimum of £2M.

The live showing on club TV, brings the under 23 side to a much wider audience.

I have no concept of the costs involved but Leeds clearly consider it worthwhile to do.

On the other hand it may reduce the numbers of die hards who may go to the stadium.

I would really appreciate it if the City decided to invest in the equipment and allow many more of us to see our young Academy boys more often.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In no way am I writing either off, but:

Walsh - for all the nice flashes, I just can’t ever see him helping to control a centre of midfield at Championship level.  Hope he proves me wrong.  He does have technical skills, but I worry he can’t get on the ball in the hurly-burly pace of top end Champ football.

Bakinson - I see some potential, he moves the ball well at his feet, but his passing is not good.  The very little I saw of him at Newport, I was disappointed in terms of the rave reviews he was getting.  But I accept they were odd games, bits of games, and others will have seen much more of him...and have generally been impressed by him.

As it stands, making a very short-term judgement, I would really worry if our first team midfield contained either at this point.  Happy to be told otherwise.  This also based on the impact Morrell is having at Lincoln.  Not just starting every week, but MOTM candidate every week too.  I think his game is much more suited to Champ football that either Liam or Tyreeq.

Morrell is good enough to play first team footy at City.

How did Semenyo get from Ashton Gate after a game on saturday that didn't finish until 5 pm,

to Leeds for a game that kicked off at 2 pm, and be considered refreshed enough to start the

game ??.  I was at the Barnsley game at Ashton Gate on monday and their coach driver said

they had come down the day before and stayed overnight in a hotel.  

Archived