IGNORED

Leyland DAF cup boycott

Never to the dark side

5 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Was thats what it was called when we won it for the first time.

So this makes interseting reading

https://www.iron-bru.co.uk/iron-and-grimsby-fans-to-raise-money-for-charity-in-efl-trophy-protest-match/

We won that trophy when it was under three different names - but none of them were Leyland DAF ...

1986 Freight Rover Trophy 

2003 LDV Vans Trophy

2015 Johnstone’s Paint Trophy 

... and we lost the final twice under the names Sherpa Van Trophy (1987) and Auto Windscreens Trophy (2000) - surely we must be the only team to play in five finals of the same competition where the trophy had five different sponsors ?! Or perhaps the League Cup may have changed sponsors just as regularly ...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We won that trophy when it was under three different names - but none of them were Leyland DAF ...

2003 LDV Vans Trophy

... and we lost the final twice under the names Sherpa Van Trophy (1987) and Auto Windscreens Trophy (2000) - surely we must be the only team to play in five finals of the same competition where the trophy had five different sponsors ?! Or perhaps the League Cup may have changed sponsors just as regularly ...

Well the last time I looked the League cup had been called the League Cup, Milk Cup, Littlewoods Cup, Rumbelows Cup, ,Coca Cola Cup, Worthingtons Cup, Carling Cup, Capitol 1 Cup, EFL Cup,  and finally the Carabao cup, so we have a little way to go yet.  

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

2003 LDV Vans Trophy

First time I went to Wembley, I was 8....everyone at the time called it the Freight Rover Trophy. Never knew until now that it was called the Sherpa Van Trophy that year.

Makes me sick what they have done to this competition. I've had some great times following City in some of these games. It's an absolute insult to expect 1st teams to face the u23's for the academy teams. Imagine Barcelona putting their u23's into the Europa League and facing off against Man United or Arsenal.

This season academy teams from Brighton, Fulham, Leicester, Norwich & Southampton are all in the competition. These clubs should know better as very recently they were all competing in this competition properly.

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

First time I went to Wembley, I was 8....everyone at the time called it the Freight Rover Trophy. Never knew until now that it was called the Sherpa Van Trophy that year.

You may be correct Pete - I think it changed sponsors to Sherpa Van in 1987 - but not sure exactly when in 1987 - it may have been after the Mansfield final ...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You may be correct Pete - I think it changed sponsors to Sherpa Van in 1987 - but not sure exactly when in 1987 - it may have been after the Mansfield final ...

I'm pretty sure I've got a scarf from that final which says "Freight Rovers Trophy"

Archived