IGNORED

City women at the gate vs Brighton

ZiderheadTJ

Wasn't able to go today but I am impressed that the attendance is officially 3,041.:clap: That was a fair bit more than the Champions League game against Barcelona a few years ago. I was fearful that other attractions would have kept it down but the club should be applauded for this move. Will there be more games moved from the SGS to the Gate in the future? I understand there was a lot of off-the-field entertainments and so forth to bring in the crowds.

Seems that the Vixens have a decent squad and will be strong opponents for the new season, although the departure of Lucy Graham may be felt in the scoring department. As always the strikers are in greatest demand, so hopefully the new acquisitions will have some goals in them.

Next home game: Sunday Sept 29 - Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Fatalist said:

Very solid defensively but no creativity until they brought on Ebony (no9) who had a bit of pace and energy. Shame they put her on the left, and kept attacking down the right.

Felt sorry for the starting striker who was isolated against 2 bigger centre halves who won everything in the air.  Salmon changed the game when she came on.  We looked more dangerous then. Thought the keeper was excellent too

I really enjoyed the again albeit very different to City and felt both teams were a bit rusty but its to be expected. 

I think its poor the lack of advertising for this game compared to the mens game and in paticular because its a one off at the Gate, after the sucessful world cup and the cheaply priced tickets! 

But i did really enjoy it , though funny how you are allowed to have a pint in the stand!! But made the experience even better to be fair . I think we have good forwards who needed better service and a really good keeper. 

Not my cup of tea , but I was impressed by Palmer and Afobe who both went and supported the Ladies

Great attitude towards the Club

And so good to see

Fair play to Kasey Palmer he’s really committed , and bought into the Club , and the move, and his lad is regularly  in his City kit and singing his Dads song !

Afobe comes across as a really really nice lad who has responded immediately to being welcomed

Their instant friendship is a real bonus and could be pivotal on the pitch for us going forward 

55C8F38C-D748-4D09-AB9B-E2002BE32D43.png

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not my cup of tea , but I was impressed by Palmer and Afobe who both went and supported the Ladies

Great attitude towards the Club

And so good to see

Fair play to Kasey Palmer he’s really committed , and bought into the Club , and the move, and his lad is regularly  in his City kit and singing his Dads song !

Afobe comes across as a really really nice lad who has responded immediately to being welcomed

Their instant friendship is a real bonus and could be pivotal on the pitch for us going forward 

55C8F38C-D748-4D09-AB9B-E2002BE32D43.png

Would have been nice if the media team made more of a fuss of this, like they did with JET going to the Flyers a few years back. 

It’s good to see the players buying into the cross sport ethic of Bristol Sport.

@miketh2nd I thought that playing at your affiliates ground was now a pre-requisite of being in the WSL? 

Whether that’s the case or not, Bristol Sport will look at the attendance and the income raised, and if they deem it a success, they will want to repeat it surely?

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Would have been nice if the media team made more of a fuss of this, like they did with JET going to the Flyers a few years back. 

It’s good to see the players buying into the cross sport ethic of Bristol Sport.

@miketh2nd I thought that playing at your affiliates ground was now a pre-requisite of being in the WSL? 

Whether that’s the case or not, Bristol Sport will look at the attendance and the income raised, and if they deem it a success, they will want to repeat it surely?

I was also just thinking with the ongoing racist storms and debates just what a couple of positive shining role models they are 

Palmer is absolutely a shining example of a family man who absolutely dotes on his partner and son and just loves playing football and comes across extremely well interviews

Afobe , looks like a mean unit in a shirt but speaks intelligently and quietly and on what I’ve seen gives everything ,without acting like a **** or pushing the rules , and another dedicated family man by all accounts 

Palmer with his funky dreads , and Afobe with his polished dome,   -  Two fantastic role models 

Racism rife through football supporters  - B********S

Football , in this country at least ,has done more than any other part of football to change

Says it all that two of our most popular players are these two , and I like that , and the best thing is they are liked simply and only because they are good lads and good players

........... Two fine role models to many people of any race, colour or creed 

Interesting to see that there were two big derby games in the WSL this opening weekend, both at the men's stadiums: Chelsea v Spurs and Man C v Man U. The former had a gate of 24,000 and there were 31,000 at the Etihad. I accept this was probably a special situation but that sort of crowd will shake up many who will not have been inclined thus far.

3 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Interesting to see that there were two big derby games in the WSL this opening weekend, both at the men's stadiums: Chelsea v Spurs and Man C v Man U. The former had a gate of 24,000 and there were 31,000 at the Etihad. I accept this was probably a special situation but that sort of crowd will shake up many who will not have been inclined thus far.

The Chelsea game was mainly free tickets apparently, they’d expected 40k but 15k who had picked up a free ticket didn’t turn up. 

Regardless, it’s good to see the women’s game spreading to wider audiences 

On 09/09/2019 at 01:50, JBFC II said:

The Chelsea game was mainly free tickets apparently, they’d expected 40k but 15k who had picked up a free ticket didn’t turn up. 

Regardless, it’s good to see the women’s game spreading to wider audiences 

It's football everywhere isn't it? I watched Wales for 20 min yesterday due to Joe Morrell. More important and interesting things in life than football. I imagine long term women football in growing areas can attract crowds like the ones in League One & Two. Separate crowds though and a happy marriage. 

Archived