IGNORED

England 5 1 18 years ago today

sticks 1969

3 years after that win, I was working in Bremen so used to go watch Werder Bremen play( when they were competing in Europe and top of Bundesliga ),  one Saturday i decided to look around the cathedral and climbed the many steps up the 90m tower to get a view of the city, as I climbed the last stair, turned the corner and entered the landing, right in front of you written in foot high letters was Germany 1 England 5, :laugh:, i was surprised to see it and even more surprised it hadn't been removed 

Watched in the fire engine in st George - remember trying to do a somersault by the park and then woke up having knocked my self unconscious ... 

in in these situations I just think you need to do something to remember these momentous events .... hence me head butting the pavement was a way of doing that ... 

Mrs R and I were in Nottingham, staying with some friends who were not football fans but also had no understanding of the game or what it means to be one.

We insisted the telly went on and they were baffled by our joyous reaction to the goals.

How can some people just not get it?

Run out of likes and can’t work out how to go purple without setting up PayPal.

For those that were actually  it must have been a real once in a lifetime, especially as we went one down and the “inevitable” hammering was about to happen. It was surreal enough watching it on TV.

Foreign holiday were fun for a while after with the “Deutschland 1 England 5” t-shirts.

4 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

Run out of likes and can’t work out how to go purple without setting up PayPal.

For those that were actually  it must have been a real once in a lifetime, especially as we went one down and the “inevitable” hammering was about to happen. It was surreal enough watching it on TV.

Foreign holiday were fun for a while after with the “Deutschland 1 England 5” t-shirts.

https://app.moonclerk.com/pay/if7szxdgmvw

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

Not city related 

but just seen it was 18 years ago today we beat Germany 5 1

one Of the biggest turn out from city fans I ever seen

where does the time go .....

And to think, we were 1-0 down!

I remember Gerrard's glorious strike for England's second and his constant pressing, turrnovers of possession and pin-point passing. What a tragedy that he missed the 2002 World Cup due to injury. 

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was there in Munich, an absolutely mental night. As mentioned, there were loads of City flags there and a fair few gas to be fair.

IIRC, didn't Somerset win at Lord's the same day?

I've had worse days! ;)

Somerset did indeed win at Lords. I was there for the game, met Richie Benaud pre game (lame to fame, but a legend nonetheless). Thought we may not have enough then saw Afridi skying it and although not plain sailing, knew we’d win thereafter. After a whole day on the cider ended up in the Pride of Paddington in some kind of haze seeing the 5-1 and not knowing if it was a delusion.

Got on the last train back to temple meads. Fell asleep. Got woken up by the conductor at the station kicking us off as that was (luckily, guessing engineering at Cardiff) the last stop that night.

Best. Day. Ever.

Archived