IGNORED

One song from yesterday

bristoldan19

8 minutes ago, bristoldan19 said:

The problem is, we could get fined and the S82 sanctioned of reported, we have nothing to do with rangers and the sectarian song has no place in Ashton gate! 

Sectarianism isn't really a thing in England so yeah. Could be a problem you're right, especially with the current ongoing persistent standing thing and the fact there was a flare v QPR.

Putting aside the fact that it isn't terribly relevant or ideal, we as a club do not need it when under scrutiny which we surely are owing to the above!

We have Irish players too do we not. Well at least one anyway. Any Catholics in our squad?

Ah related to Robbored perchance with emojis in place of debate (sorry Robbored- you're good really!)

Care to elaborate @STeveOELlis

Are we under scrutiny over the persistent standing? Yes.

Will the flare v QPR have been noted by the relevant bodies? Yes.

Is a song like 50p flute looked upon well? Doubtful.

Anything factual to add?

There are a reasonable number of good songs, and the vocal support from s82 first 20 especially for a midday kickoff was excellent at times and decent overall- yet this one just seems IMO unnecessary.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah related to Robbored perchance with emojis in place of debate.

Care to elaborate @STeveOELlis

Are we under scrutiny over the persistent standing? Yes.

Will the flare v QPR have been noted by the relevant bodies? Yes.

Is a song like 50p flute looked upon well? No.

Anything factual to add?

The whole of the EFL is under scrutiny for persistent standing.

A smoke bomb, not flare, was detonated and thrown toward the pitch. The offender has been dealt with by Police and it would've been included in a Referee's match report. It was not as major an event as OTIB has made it out to be. No club - other than a small non-league club with a persistent 'issue' - has ever been fined in England for pyrotechnics, despite what the press may lead people to believe.

It was sung a couple of times by a minority, if it was even noted then there may have been a text to S82 from the stadium management. There hasn't been. 

You're trying to make a ski resort out of molehill, good forbid you ever see anyone consuming alchohol within view of a regulated sports fixture!

9 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

A smoke bomb, not flare, was detonated and thrown toward the pitch. The offender has been dealt with by Police and it would've been included in a Referee's match report. It was not as major an event as OTIB has made it out to be. No club - other than a small non-league club with a persistent 'issue' - has ever been fined in England for pyrotechnics, despite what the press may lead people to believe.

It was sung a couple of times by a minority, if it was even noted then there may have been a text to S82 from the stadium management. There hasn't been. 

You're trying to make a ski resort out of molehill, good forbid you ever see anyone consuming alchohol within view of a regulated sports fixture!

Thank you for a response.

Hopefully the PL too! I believe that is a total overreaction and unnecessary by those authorities.

I'm not terribly au fait with the different types of pyrotechnics. Smoke bomb then.

Minority and a couple of times? Well okay, that's different- wasn't clear from the context. Tbh until I read it on here I wasn't even aware of it having been sung.

Couldn't give a monkeys if people drink in view of the pitch.

I suppose my main point was that when under scrutiny, and I'm not really a fan of the song lyrics but the tune is good, but my main other point is that when under scrutiny it's perhaps not the best idea to invite more.

6 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Let’s be honest though, the last couple of home games haven’t put s82 in a great light. 

Atmosphere wise, as per normal, they've been great.

However, chucking a smoke bomb/flare in front of the disabled section and now singing the Rangers song are both stupid incidents that will only inhibit them in the future. 

I know you are a big advocate for the singing section etc, and so you must see that these events are only going to make the club think twice about having it in future seasons

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Let’s be honest though, the last couple of home games haven’t put s82 in a great light. 

However, chucking a smoke bomb/flare in front of the disabled section and now singing the Rangers song are both stupid incidents that will only inhibit them in the future. 

I know you are a big advocate for the singing section etc, and so you must see that these events are only going to make the club think twice about having it in future seasons

I fear it could be the case too.

Would be OTT though. I should also add that a push for expansion- which I believe there is a demand for- would be severely inhibited if there is perceived to be a problem.

49 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

It was nothing to do with Randolph. The people singing it knew what they were singing. We have no more of an affiliation with Rangers than any of the other 89 EFL clubs (Milwall and Chelsea not included). It was being sung as a stance against UEFA/ SFA and various other football governing bodies for their mistreatment of Rangers fans recently, particularly the Union Bears group

Also, **** the pope and the IRA.

Are you saying that the singing section are so astutely politically aware of the ‘mistreatment’ of Glasgow Rangers that they felt so strongly that they sang a sectarian song?.........jeez...........:facepalm:

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Have got to remember that the singing section and Section 82 are two different entities.

What happens within the SS is sometimes, but not often, the responsibility of S82. The club know this and there is constant dialogue, when necessary, with club officials and S82

33 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I went to watch Blackpool V Portsmouth this weekend with some mates and this song was being sung by Portsmouth fans also.

I think it is popular with very pro UK fanbases, Millwall/Chelsea/Portsmouth Etc. 

I wouldn't put City in that category, if anything probably more left wing. 

Parroting sectarian shite that the English left behind in the 18th Century does not make you pro-UK, just a moron.

(Not directed at you Wolfie, I realise you were simply reporting a phenomenon)

This seems to rear its head every few years TBH. Some seem to want us to align with the Gers. Either that or they're too stupid to understand and just think it's clever. 

I remember there was uproar when McInnes was here about playing a Rangers song, penny arcade IIRC.

We aren't a sectarian club and never should be, leave it to the Glasgow clubs. I couldn't care less if a catholic or a protestant is wearing a City shirt, he/ she is a fellow red.

As someone who was born in Northern Ireland, I don't want to hear songs from either side of the sectarian divide sung at the Gate and would seriously think about giving up if we were trying to align with either.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This seems to rear its head every few years TBH. Some seem to want us to align with the Gers. Either that or they're too stupid to understand and just think it's clever. 

I remember there was uproar when McInnes was here about playing a Rangers song, penny arcade IIRC.

We aren't a sectarian club and never should be, leave it to the Glasgow clubs. I couldn't care less if a catholic or a protestant is wearing a City shirt, he/ she is a fellow red.

As someone who was born in Northern Ireland, I don't want to hear songs from either side of the sectarian divide sung at the Gate and would seriously think about giving up if we were trying to align with either.

Perfectly written and sums up my views too (except family in N.Ireland as opposed to being born there). I just hope it was just a case of some morons trying to act all big and clever on TV without knowing back stories etc.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I went to watch Blackpool V Portsmouth this weekend with some mates and this song was being sung by Portsmouth fans also.

I think it is popular with very pro UK fanbases, Millwall/Chelsea/Portsmouth Etc. 

the city of Bristol is probably more left leaning, but make no mistake BCFC has a few right wing supporters...some of whom make their views made plain in no uncertain terms on social media etc. That is their prerogative, not passing judgement on it at all, just saying dont think we can generalise BCFC as having fans one way politically or the other. 

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I just reckon we've got a minority of utter helmets in our fanbase, sadly.

Agreed. It can be no surprise that S82 has a few halfwits in its midst. With apologies to halfwits. 

I mean, it's not like some of our greatest ever players were raised Catholic is it?

Or perhaps they thought it the best way of persuading O'Dowda to sign a new contract? Then again, thought requires thinking which requires braincells.  

At a time when our club is modernising by the minute, at a time we're embracing players from all sorts of countries, backgrounds, ethnicities etc, it's a ucking disgrace that a few ****s want to sing moronic songs based in bigotry, hate and division.

Again, sincere apologies to halfwits everywhere.

6 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

After reading this thread I was no wiser what the song was, as didn’t recall hearing anything about the Pope or IRA on Saturday, so had to look it up!

Please don’t listen if easily offended.......

I am not easily offended, but the spelling of those lyrics is absolutely atrocious!

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Maybe a few of the maturer lads might have a quiet word with the young’uns that don’t realise that smoke bombs and sectarian songs ain’t a great look?

That isn’t a euphemism by the way, I do mean a discreet word.  If nothing else it might stop the stupid feckers getting themselves arrested and banned.

12 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

After reading this thread I was no wiser what the song was, as didn’t recall hearing anything about the Pope or IRA on Saturday, so had to look it up!

Please don’t listen if easily offended.......

I much prefer The Piranahas version ?

21 minutes ago, Gunner Jones said:

I was singing this on Saturday in section 82, can't see what the problem is

I really hope Gunner Jones is a tribute to the old fella in Dad's Army, and that you are not a present or past serving member of the British Army.   

If you are in the Army or ever have been and you see no problem with singing '**** the Pope' you must have your head up your ******* ar$e.  

Pure sectarianism and has no place anywhere, let alone at Ashton Gate. 

On 02/09/2019 at 11:23, WolfOfWestStreet said:

This sums it up mostly ..Lots of us are very Pro UK it' was old firm weekend so felt topical 

Probably won't be a regular thing let's put it in perspective tho ..The IRA are/were not worthy of defence surely 

Your left wing prognosis got hit hard when R D moved abroad :laugh:

Archived