IGNORED

One song from yesterday

bristoldan19

9 hours ago, RedSkin said:

I really hope Gunner Jones is a tribute to the old fella in Dad's Army, and that you are not a present or past serving member of the British Army.   

If you are in the Army or ever have been and you see no problem with singing '**** the Pope' you must have your head up your ******* ar$e.  

Pure sectarianism and has no place anywhere, let alone at Ashton Gate. 

Ex RCT and I walked the walk twice plenty of us singing it on Saturday in section 82, I'm also active in the protest against Soldier F who is being hung out to dry by this country while IRA terrorists went scot free No Regrets No Surrender 

1 hour ago, mutts said:

This sums it up mostly ..Lots of us are very Pro UK it' was old firm weekend so felt topical 

Probably won't be a regular thing let's put it in perspective tho ..The IRA are/were not worthy of defence surely 

Your left wing prognosis got hit hard when R D moved abroad :laugh:

41 minutes ago, Gunner Jones said:

Ex RCT and I walked the walk twice plenty of us singing it on Saturday in section 82, I'm also active in the protest against Soldier F who is being hung out to dry by this country while IRA terrorists went scot free No Regrets No Surrender 

Objectively speaking, when the club are under scrutiny over a few matters it isn't the best plan. (Persistent standing and smoke bomb). ironically if no thread on it, unsure the club would know?

Second objective point. IRA are terrorists we all know this. There was loyalist terrorism however. In NI as opposed to mainland.

Interested in the poster who mentioned Chelsea and Millwall. Loyal to UK or far right...seemingly in the past (unsure of the present) these clubs had a tieup with Rangers. Far right elements in those fanbases. Fine line?

Further, O'Dowda is Irish. Could any of our other players be Catholic? Probably not an ideal song if so!

Lastly it's probably sectarian. To be expected perhaps in Glasgow, parts of Scotland and more than likely NI but fortunately we're well out of it down here.

1 hour ago, Gunner Jones said:

I thank you for your service to our country but totally disagree about the sectarian singing. It's not welcome at the Gate, certainly not by me any way. The same stands for any republican songs too. We're football supporters, not politicians. What have BCFC got to do with the problems in Ireland? Nothing!

Leave it to the bigots in Glasgow eh.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Further, O'Dowda is Irish. Could any of our other players be Catholic? Probably not an ideal song if so!

Not just about Catholic players is it?  I'm sure there are plenty Catholic City supporters in the ground.

Someone made a comment about older ones in S82 having a word with the younger one who may have mistakenly sang the song without knowing its significance.  I suspect it's the older one teaching them. You aren't born a bigot, sectarianism and racism are taught. Sectarian82?

On 02/09/2019 at 12:15, Ska Junkie said:

This seems to rear its head every few years TBH. Some seem to want us to align with the Gers. Either that or they're too stupid to understand and just think it's clever. 

I remember there was uproar when McInnes was here about playing a Rangers song, penny arcade IIRC.

We aren't a sectarian club and never should be, leave it to the Glasgow clubs. I couldn't care less if a catholic or a protestant is wearing a City shirt, he/ she is a fellow red.

As someone who was born in Northern Ireland, I don't want to hear songs from either side of the sectarian divide sung at the Gate and would seriously think about giving up if we were trying to align with either.

This one's alright though, surely...?

45 minutes ago, Gunner Jones said:

What a band still watch SLF every year

Maybe you should listen to their lyrics a bit closer.  A mixed religion band that united protestants and catholics rather than divided them.  Don't think Jake Burns would be belting out any sectarian anthems any time soon. 

Archived