IGNORED

Afobe v Stoke (Merged)

Jerseybean

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different competition- maybe it's even a default position that loanee can face parent club?

In PL, the opposite seems to apply. Championship unless specificed I think...certainly don't expect Afobe to be eligible here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/26972498

Had to have a quick check above to make sure memory was in the right place 

Seems it was because Chelsea put in the agreement it wound cost 5 million for the two games, which counts as influencing another club. 

Uefa declared that as void, so he could play

14 hours ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

You can play against loan clubs but it’s up to the parent club to decide when the loan was agreed.

Pretty sure nowadays its a rule, that it cannot happen. At least in the league.

Not always been the case i know. I remember David Seal scoring against us. Very embarrasing.

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Am I making it up or did Courtois play against Chelsea in the Champions League whilst on loan at Atletico?

Quite possible.
As mentioned by someone earlier, the player is only ineligible if that is a term of the loan agreement when the loan deal is made.

As the two play in different countries and both teams would have had pretty high European coefficients, the actual chances of the two sides facing each other would have been very slim, so no need for the "can't play against parent club" clause to be added. 

Knowing how shrewd Mark Ashton is maybe he left the can't play against Stoke clause out of the contract? :whistle:. Just imagine the Stoke fans if Benik popped up with the winner.

I'm sure this happened to us in the past. David Seal at Northampton if I recall correctly? :innocent06:

54.8 During the period of any Temporary Loan Transfer, a Player shall not play against his Transferor Club without the prior written permission of the Transferor Club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate Temporary Loan Transfer form).

Guidance

The EFL will permit Clubs to amend a loan agreement to include permission where this is agreed by both Clubs and the Player at a later date.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

54.8 During the period of any Temporary Loan Transfer, a Player shall not play against his Transferor Club without the prior written permission of the Transferor Club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate Temporary Loan Transfer form).

Guidance

The EFL will permit Clubs to amend a loan agreement to include permission where this is agreed by both Clubs and the Player at a later date.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-6---players/

So, to summarise... Nobody on here has seen the loan agreement, so therefore nobody actually knows 100% whether he can play or not! 

On 01/09/2019 at 20:49, The Batman said:

I've a bad feeling about the Stoke game. Hoping their awful run will continue after the international break. 

Our awful form doesn't look like ending anytime soon, if we can screw up a  1-0 lead at Birmingham (who were woeful on the day) then you definitely have a chance! I remember coming on here at the beginning of the year and saying you guys could well put the final nail in rowetts tenure and lo and behold it happened how ironic that we play each other again at a crucial stage in Nathan Jones' tenure also! a defeat and i feel he's a goner fans have turned on him and all his promises of promotion and exciting attacking football in pre season have not come to fruition thus far he's massively out of his depth and he makes at least 6 changes every game and changes formations on a weekly basis all you'll need to do on Saturday is score and our heads will drop were that frail mentally! It's got  a third stint of Tony Pulis written all over it!

21 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

Our awful form doesn't look like ending anytime soon, if we can screw up a  1-0 lead at Birmingham (who were woeful on the day) then you definitely have a chance! I remember coming on here at the beginning of the year and saying you guys could well put the final nail in rowetts tenure and lo and behold it happened how ironic that we play each other again at a crucial stage in Nathan Jones' tenure also! a defeat and i feel he's a goner fans have turned on him and all his promises of promotion and exciting attacking football in pre season have not come to fruition thus far he's massively out of his depth and he makes at least 6 changes every game and changes formations on a weekly basis all you'll need to do on Saturday is score and our heads will drop were that frail mentally! It's got  a third stint of Tony Pulis written all over it!

I guess we will do our best to oblige Stokie but we have a long and storied history of making a right mess out of games like this. Many thanks for Benik Afobe who is playing out of his skin, but not available, thus I think the latest potential multi million pound super star off the conveyor belt Antoine Semenyo will start or at least get a very decent run in attack. 

Adam Nagy May or May not be fit, how we got this guy who knows, but I cant see Stoke staying garbage forever. Just hope another week if possible!

On 10/09/2019 at 15:09, REDOXO said:

I guess we will do our best to oblige Stokie but we have a long and storied history of making a right mess out of games like this. Many thanks for Benik Afobe who is playing out of his skin, but not available, thus I think the latest potential multi million pound super star off the conveyor belt Antoine Semenyo will start or at least get a very decent run in attack. 

Adam Nagy May or May not be fit, how we got this guy who knows, but I cant see Stoke staying garbage forever. Just hope another week if possible!

I'm not suprised at all that Afobe is doing well for you if he's given service he'll score goals his stint at Wolves proved that! One thing i think you should do against us on saturday to gain a result is play at a high tempo come at us and don't be cautious when Leeds played us a couple weeks ago as soon as they upped the tempo they cut through us like a knife through butter exactly the  same happened at Birmingham. Pace and power upfront and in wide areas and you wont go far wrong.

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Would prefer him on as an impact. Diedhou for me! Not really sure on their style or squad tbh but Its a toxic atmosphere down there at the moment. If they go a goal down I can't see them getting anything from us.

None of us stokies are really sure on our style of play or which team he'll pick either he doesn't know his best 11. We initially played the diamond at the start of the season but when that was countered far too easily by QPR and Charlton he binned it and hes played 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1 and used our whole squad making numerous changes in the process over the past few weeks desperately trying to find a winning formula he may as well use a tombola and pick the team and formation that way NJ really aint got a clue and your right if we go a goal down our heads will drop we concede on average 2 goals a game so i fully expect that to continue.

3 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

None of us stokies are really sure on our style of play or which team he'll pick either he doesn't know his best 11. We initially played the diamond at the start of the season but when that was countered far too easily by QPR and Charlton he binned it and hes played 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1 and used our whole squad making numerous changes in the process over the past few weeks desperately trying to find a winning formula he may as well use a tombola and pick the team and formation that way NJ really aint got a clue and your right if we go a goal down our heads will drop we concede on average 2 goals a game so i fully expect that to continue.

Do you think you`re in danger of doing an Ipswich/Sunderland this season or do you think you have enough to end up OK?

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Do you think you`re in danger of doing an Ipswich/Sunderland this season or do you think you have enough to end up OK?

I look at it this way, we are currently 4 points adrift if we  go further adrift in the coming weeks (for argument sake 7+ points) it will be increasingly more difficult to claw that back even at this early stage of the season. We haven't won a league game since April we have a habit of losing and we cant shift it not only that our owners seem oblivious to the situation they have wasted millions on poor recruitment of both managers and players and continue to bury their heads in the sand they even came out and said NJ has their backing and support (pretty much a vote of confidence). If we keep NJ we'll end up like Ipswich last season as he hasn't got a clue. If we lose the next 2 against you and Brentford we'll have to change it and like i said on a previous post it seems set up for a Tony Pulis return.

7 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

I look at it this way, we are currently 4 points adrift if we  go further adrift in the coming weeks (for argument sake 7+ points) it will be increasingly more difficult to claw that back even at this early stage of the season. We haven't won a league game since April we have a habit of losing and we cant shift it not only that our owners seem oblivious to the situation they have wasted millions on poor recruitment of both managers and players and continue to bury their heads in the sand they even came out and said NJ has their backing and support (pretty much a vote of confidence). If we keep NJ we'll end up like Ipswich last season as he hasn't got a clue. If we lose the next 2 against you and Brentford we'll have to change it and like i said on a previous post it seems set up for a Tony Pulis return.

The good news for you, if we play well, is we do have a fine history of getting Managers the sack.........almost like other Chairmen think losing to Bristol City is the ultimate humiliation ?

10 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

You're lucky that we've got some key players missing. 

You're unlucky that our squad is quite deep this season and we're ridiculously good away from home!

16 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

If that`s the alternative I think I`d rather take my chances with relegation!

17 hours ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

If we ever get to a stage where a Tony Pulis return is the answer, I'll be calling it a day. 

I know he did some great things for you guys but no......just no

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

If we ever get to a stage where a Tony Pulis return is the answer, I'll be calling it a day. 

I know he did some great things for you guys but no......just no

He'd be the answer to our chairman! they both are still really close and TP would come back at the drop of  hat he'd split the fan base if he came back but more and more people are calling for him to return which just shows what a dire situation we are currently in very worrying times.

29 minutes ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

He'd be the answer to our chairman! they both are still really close and TP would come back at the drop of  hat he'd split the fan base if he came back but more and more people are calling for him to return which just shows what a dire situation we are currently in very worrying times.

I'm pretty sure he'd get you up the league but at what cost?

Our new young French player, Messengo isn't afraid to try a bit of show boating, the odd back heel etc, we all love it but every time he does it I think -Tony Pulis would fine you for that. 

No place in the game for a bit of flare under TP

44 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I'm pretty sure he'd get you up the league but at what cost?

Our new young French player, Messengo isn't afraid to try a bit of show boating, the odd back heel etc, we all love it but every time he does it I think -Tony Pulis would fine you for that. 

No place in the game for a bit of flare under TP

When TP got us to the FA Cup Final back in 2011 we actually had quite a bit of flair we had Ricardo Fuller (who could create something out of nothing) then we had two traditional wingers in etherington and pennant although we played direct couter-attacking football they were all allowed a degree of flair but that soon got dismantled as soon as peter crouch came on the scene we went too route one and that then proved to be the down fall of TP.  We really now dont have much creativity in our side apart from Ince who only really shows up when he feels like it so we really wouldn't be missing much if TP came back.

1 hour ago, StaffordshireStokie said:

When TP got us to the FA Cup Final back in 2011 we actually had quite a bit of flair we had Ricardo Fuller (who could create something out of nothing) then we had two traditional wingers in etherington and pennant although we played direct couter-attacking football they were all allowed a degree of flair but that soon got dismantled as soon as peter crouch came on the scene we went too route one and that then proved to be the down fall of TP.  We really now dont have much creativity in our side apart from Ince who only really shows up when he feels like it so we really wouldn't be missing much if TP came back.

I was at that cup final and also I was in Valencia the year after for the Europa league, my wife is a Stokie, 2 great occasions. Valencia was the best time I've had at football not involving City or England. 

Alas, both games will go down as a missed opportunity due to TP's negative tactics. In Valencia already worrying about the following weekend game. 

You did have some great players, no doubt about that 

Archived