IGNORED

England v Bulgaria

frenchred

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Qualifiers are boring when teams come to Wembley with zero ambition to actually try and win a game

That definitely the case with Bulgaria. 

I only watched the second 45 and England never really needed to get out of second gear. It was all very easy.

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Tend to agree,didn’t even watch because I was more worried about a cat,let’s just have everyone qualify and it will stop these boring international breaks and make the season shorter so we can have build up games to the tournament when let’s be honest we care how we do 

I wouldn’t even profess much build up or warm up games. The skill in international football - and management - should be in picking players for a system. 

Lets be honest if club managers are doing their job, you don’t really need to train them. They should have versatility and adaptability.

Agree there’s a point about familiarity, but we had that once when most England players came from 2 or 3 clubs. We disappointed in that era but there was a reason, and he goes by the name of Sven.

A very successful manager and one of the most ‘successful’ for England but he completely devalued playing for England and the pride of a cap. Sven is the international equivalent of Tiny P, he got results but he won’t leave you better off. 

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We have beaten Bulgaria quite easily and I did enjoy the game with a nice glass of Bordeaux on my Sofia.

Kosovo may provide a sterner test on Tuesday though having beaten the Czechs (albeit without their star centre back) earlier on.

Each to their own, but please stick to the footy!?COYR 

I personally feel that England games should be played around the country. Whilst Wembley was being rebuilt games were being shared around the country. And the atmosphere was so much better and more intense. Watching bits of the game last night the atmosphere was nonexistent. The Wembley experience is certainly not for me . 

50 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I personally feel that England games should be played around the country. Whilst Wembley was being rebuilt games were being shared around the country. And the atmosphere was so much better and more intense. Watching bits of the game last night the atmosphere was nonexistent. The Wembley experience is certainly not for me . 

England v Kosovo on Tuesday night is being played at St Mary’s.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We have beaten Bulgaria quite easily and I did enjoy the game with a nice glass of Bordeaux on my Sofia.

Kosovo may provide a sterner test on Tuesday though having beaten the Czechs (albeit without their star centre back) earlier on.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Keith Welch said:

Not criticising today's performance but we still lack quality midfielders if we're serious about winning something.

The likes of Rice and Barkley are nowhere near the level that's required when you look at the quality that France, Belgium etc have in central areas.

We need Foden to start getting serious game time at City.

On a more positive note - Sterling is a joy to watch. One of the best players in Europe right now.

Admittedly I haven’t seen tonnes of him (who has ?) but I worry he’s another Jack Wiltshere. Seems to dribble with the ball almost out of control inviting challenge.  Will need to see more of him to see whether he really is the real deal. 

I spent a lot of the first half watching Harry Kane. In general build up play his movement is non-existent!  Of course he’s a fine finisher and comes alive in the box.  It’s fine against your Bulgaria’s when you get chances, but I do think he is a problem that needs to be solved when we play better opponents. 

He doesn’t move his marker around, he doesn’t create room for his teammates and it is easy to stifle England by getting behind the ball. 

The likes of Lineker who also was a box man, used to move his marker around, drag them short to spin them over the top. Kane does not if that. 

And yet will get all the plaudits for a hat trick. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Admittedly I haven’t seen tonnes of him (who has ?) but I worry he’s another Jack Wiltshere. Seems to dribble with the ball almost out of control inviting challenge.  Will need to see more of him to see whether he really is the real deal. 

I spent a lot of the first half watching Harry Kane. In general build up play his movement is non-existent!  Of course he’s a fine finisher and comes alive in the box.  It’s fine against your Bulgaria’s when you get chances, but I do think he is a problem that needs to be solved when we play better opponents. 

He doesn’t move his marker around, he doesn’t create room for his teammates and it is easy to stifle England by getting behind the ball. 

The likes of Lineker who also was a box man, used to move his marker around, drag them short to spin them over the top. Kane does not if that. 

And yet will get all the plaudits for a hat trick. 

I remember watching just Lineker Dave , in a game at Wembley for a good 25-30 mins

He was constantly on the move,  drifting back and across the front line , and constantly diving into gaps in between looking for a ball , didn’t come and off he’d go again , drift ...sprint...drift...dummy move ...drift ...sprint

Probably made 5 or 6 runs for every ball that came anywhere near him - was fascinating to watch - constantly on the move

15 hours ago, The Bard said:

I assumed that this was the more difficult of the 2 games but Kosovo beat Czech Republic earlier and are 2nd in the table.  Perhaps Southgate was thinking this was the easier game.  I would hope that T AA and Chilwell play on Tuesday as they are vastly superior to Trippier and Rose.  

Surely time to give Maddison his debut??

Kosovo should be a better game. Apparently they are unbeaten in 15 (although i havent looked at who they played) hopefully be more of a test for us.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Kosovo should be a better game. Apparently they are unbeaten in 15 (although i havent looked at who they played) hopefully be more of a test for us.

I watched them against the Czechs yesterday

They were quite phenomenal in their spirit, energy and workrate and should provide a far tougher test than Bulgaria

If we are sloppy or not at it , they could shock us

Muriqi was a constant thorn in Czechs side and for a ‘unit’ his workrate off the scale ,  his hold up play good ,and his closing down was incredible

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I remember watching just Lineker Dave , in a game at Wembley for a good 25-30 mins

He was constantly on the move,  drifting back and across the front line , and constantly diving into gaps in between looking for a ball , didn’t come and off he’d go again , drift ...sprint...drift...dummy move ...drift ...sprint

Probably made 5 or 6 runs for every ball that came anywhere near him - was fascinating to watch - constantly on the move

Exactly. That’s what frustrates me watching England. We have decent enough players but good sides find it all too easy to defend us. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly. That’s what frustrates me watching England. We have decent enough players but good sides find it all too easy to defend us. 

I agree with you about Kane atm 

Strange as I’ve seen him with decent movement on plenty of occasions , albeit mainly in a Spurs shirt

Instructions ?

His box movement still good tho 

Sounds strange after a 4-0 (Against a dreadful Bulgaria tho) I thought our general movement , save a gleaming exception in Sterling , was poor and we didn’t move the ball quickly enough (Can think another side like that !)

Im unconvinced by Rice and Berkeley atm (Accepting Both are still young) 

I’d be working hard on integrating Maddison but unfortunately Mount looks ahead in the pecking order 

We are certainly better when sides come at us , and I think we are fortunate in Sterling that we have a player who will cause problems even if a side sits in against us 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’s because we don’t have a top notch central midfielder - were a solid top 10 side now and if we had that midfielder i think we would challenge again at the next tournament 

6 minutes ago, Rob k said:

That’s because we don’t have a top notch central midfielder - were a solid top 10 side now and if we had that midfielder i think we would challenge again at the next tournament 

It is strange as we have always had top midfielders but they were never used right. Southgate would love now to be able to choose a Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

1 hour ago, Super said:

It is strange as we have always had top midfielders but they were never used right. Southgate would love now to be able to choose a Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes.

Both spot on.

Archived