IGNORED

Don’t forget that players are human too.

Major Isewater

Read this quote from Michael Owen’s book on the subject of the magnificent Toon Army.

’ 

"When I got home, I switched on Match of the Day to watch the game and I could hear Newcastle fans, my fans, singing: 'What a waste of money,'" he added.

"I can't deny their actions that day changed things for me." ‘

These guys are human and if they can ‘ feel the love ‘ they will bust a gut to perform,alternately, give them shit and that’s what they’ll give you back .

• Admin

Former Newcastle United striker Michael Owen says his move from Real Madrid to the Magpies was a "downward step" and the "one I really regret".

The ex-England captain signed in 2005 for £17m - a year after joining Real from Liverpool - but injuries limited him to 79 appearances in four years.

"I should have followed my gut instincts," Owen says in his new book, Reboot - My Life, My Time.

"I didn't want to go there - my heart was set on a return to Liverpool."

In his book, which is being serialised in the Daily Mirror, Owen says the Reds could not match Newcastle's offer 14 years ago, so he reluctantly agreed his switch to St James' Park.

"From a career perspective, there was no doubt in my mind that a move to the North East was a downward step," added the 39-year-old, who also played for Manchester United and Stoke City before retiring in 2013.

"As unpalatable as that opinion might be to Newcastle fans, that's more or less what I felt."

The 2001 Ballon d'Or winner had a strained relationship with then Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd, which worsened when he was filmed saying he would "carry Michael Owen back to Anfield".

"Freddy was only doing what all the fans constantly do at almost every football club," said Owen. "They believe their club is 10% bigger and their team is 10% better than it actually is.

"This kind of blind delusion is especially true of Newcastle United - which, as I reach for the nearest tin hat, is only a big club in the sense that it has a lot of fans and a big stadium."

Owen said the moment his relationship with the Magpies' supporters was "irreparably impaired" came when he was jeered as he was carried off on a stretcher after being knocked unconscious in their 1-1 draw at Watford in May 2007.

"When I got home, I switched on Match of the Day to watch the game and I could hear Newcastle fans, my fans, singing: 'What a waste of money,'" he added.

"I can't deny their actions that day changed things for me."

That isn't the whole story. Yes, when he got home and turned on Match of the Day to watch the game he did hear Newcastle fans, his fans, singing: 'What a waste of money,' as he was being carried off semi-conscious. But, what he failed to add is that he immediately turned the TV off in disgust. However, the singing continued...the Newcastle fans were in his back garden!

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

That isn't the whole story. Yes, when he got home and turned on Match of the Day to watch the game he did hear Newcastle fans, his fans, singing: 'What a waste of money,' as he was being carried off semi-conscious. But, what he failed to add is that he immediately turned the TV off in disgust. However, the singing continued...the Newcastle fans were in his back garden!

That's bad. But funny! But really bad, of course... But really funny!

But while fans were dissenting at his lengthy spell on the sidelines, given his earnings, Owen has opened up, via the Chronicle, on how the club did not want him to play as doing so would see insurance policy pay-outs cease.

A blazing row with chairman Freddy Shepherd reportedly ensued when Owen, close to his comeback, was told he was not allowed to train with TV cameras recording the session. A back-and-forth over the phone got heated and Owen was told to hide in the toilets so the club would continue to receive money from insurance. 

Owen told Shepherd to '**** off' as he wanted to train having worked so hard to regain fitness. He also explained in his forthcoming book that he felt the issue with the insurance company was not legally and ethically sound.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Former Newcastle United striker Michael Owen says his move from Real Madrid to the Magpies was a "downward step" and the "one I really regret".

The ex-England captain signed in 2005 for £17m - a year after joining Real from Liverpool - but injuries limited him to 79 appearances in four years.

"I should have followed my gut instincts," Owen says in his new book, Reboot - My Life, My Time.

In his book, which is being serialised in the Daily Mirror, Owen says the Reds could not match Newcastle's offer 14 years ago, so he reluctantly agreed his switch to St James' Park.

"From a career perspective, there was no doubt in my mind that a move to the North East was a downward step," added the 39-year-old, who also played for Manchester United and Stoke City before retiring in 2013.

"As unpalatable as that opinion might be to Newcastle fans, that's more or less what I felt."

The 2001 Ballon d'Or winner had a strained relationship with then Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd, which worsened when he was filmed saying he would "carry Michael Owen back to Anfield".

"Freddy was only doing what all the fans constantly do at almost every football club," said Owen. "They believe their club is 10% bigger and their team is 10% better than it actually is.

"This kind of blind delusion is especially true of Newcastle United - which, as I reach for the nearest tin hat, is only a big club in the sense that it has a lot of fans and a big stadium."

Owen said the moment his relationship with the Magpies' supporters was "irreparably impaired" came when he was jeered as he was carried off on a stretcher after being knocked unconscious in their 1-1 draw at Watford in May 2007.

"I can't deny their actions that day changed things for me."

Maybe if he was not such a greedy **** (who didn't even need the money), he would have went to Liverpool where he wanted to go. Money isn't everything, especially when you have plenty of it. 

Sorry Mr Owen - you got exactly what you deserved choosing money over happiness imo. 

1 hour ago, MigratedRobin said:

Wow! He totally hit the nail on the head with that comment.

He's only saying what everyone outside of the Newcastle bubble have already known for years

• Admin
23 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Maybe if he was not such a greedy **** (who didn't even need the money), he would have went to Liverpool where he wanted to go. Money isn't everything, especially when you have plenty of it. 

Sorry Mr Owen - you got exactly what you deserved choosing money over happiness imo. 

That was my first reaction too, if he wanted to go to Liverpool that badly he would have done

The difference in money on the table can't have been that much surely?

1 hour ago, MigratedRobin said:

Wow! He totally hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Yes, but 10%? Has he never heard of Bristol Rovers (possibly not). 

He can add a couple of zeroes at the end. 

"Don't forget, players are human too?".............I'm Sorry sport,  but I saw Jacki Dziekanowski play, and I can catergorically state that he was most definitely a super hero alien.   The venerable John Motson confirmed this, when we played Leicester away ( I was there!!) by stating ""He maybe from another country, but today he's been from a different planet" .   I close my case!!

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

"Don't forget, players are human too?".............I'm Sorry sport,  but I saw Jacki Dziekanowski play, and I can catergorically state that he wasmost definitely a super hero alien.   The venerable John Motson confirmed this, when we played Leicester away ( I was there!!) by stating ""He maybe from another country, but today he's been from a different planet" .   I close my case!!

Agreed. He must be. It was bloody freezing at Filbert Street that day and he was only wearing a thin top. 

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

That was exactly my thoughts too when I read the article.

Would have been extremely comfortable by then, and although Liverpool couldn't match Newcastle, it would still have been a decent wage.

Greed instead of going to a place he wanted to.

Would rather work for slightly less at a place I really like, than go somewhere else for better money but hating every minute of it....especially if I was already minted.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

That was exactly my thoughts too when I read the article.

Would have been extremely comfortable by then, and although Liverpool couldn't match Newcastle, it would still have been a decent wage.

Greed instead of going to a place he wanted to.

Would rather work for slightly less at a place I really like, than go somewhere else for better money but hating every minute of it....especially if I was already minted.

I personally wouldn't have to be minted in the first place, being miserable at work is not a good thing imo.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

So his heart was soooo set on returning to Liverpool until the multi-millionaire saw the dosh being offered by the Geordies was more than his beloved Liverpool was offering ... and now he slags off Newcastle in his book.

I’ve always liked Mike Owen but he does himself no favours with this load of guff.

I reckon he’s always been bitter that he left Liverpool just before they won the Champions League ... but no need to publicly declare he only went to Newcastle for the money, when he didn’t need it ...

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Read this quote from Michael Owen’s book on the subject of the magnificent Toon Army.

’ 

"I can't deny their actions that day changed things for me." ‘

These guys are human and if they can ‘ feel the love ‘ they will bust a gut to perform,alternately, give them shit and that’s what they’ll give you back .

I'm not really sure what I feel about that. I see your point - but in a way, I think if players are earning £100,000+ a week it kind of comes with the territory.

Irrespective of whatever one thinks of Owen and his publicity seeking motives, fact is he speaks a truth held by most fans outside of Geordieland (myself included,) namely Newcastle United are not a 'big' club. Their followers have a disproportionate view of the club's standing in both modern football and the history books.

My first 3 visits there were all 0-0. The first I recall had a decent if not sell-out crowd who to a man booed the hell out of their black & white heroes from first to last. Fickle lot I thought. My second visit the place was empty, couldn't have been more than 15k there. The Gallowgate that day held around 200 and the even the proverbial dog didn't bother to turn up.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm not really sure what I feel about that. I see your point - but in a way, I think if players are earning £100,000+ a week it kind of comes with the territory.

Whatever  you’re earning or whatever your status in life you are still the little kid inside who wants love .

We can , and I’m sure a lot of us have , put up with situations where we aren’t appreciated and we just get on with it . 

Compare that to those situations where people are enthusiastic about you and give you support. 

I know where most people perform best.

Just to point out that our behaviour does have an affect on those around us and for those players who we want to go the extra mile we’d be better off giving them some positivity and not running them down .

This applies in life equally !

Michael Owen specifics aside, I do feel alot of fans do not see players as ordinary people with all frailtiies and insecurities we all share.

In alot of interviews with Kasey Palmer since he joined, he has consistently mentioned how glad he is to sign and feel like he has a home and can settle.

Footballers so get treated as pieces of meat at times when a club no longer wants them.   (Paterson looked like he was in shock being interviewed on Derby's site).   Kasey has been pushed out on loan all over the country by Chelsea.  As well as integrating with new team mates professionally, he will need to make some good friends as building friendships outside the football bubble must be almost impossible.

He has a young family so his partner would have been to make friends away from support of her family each loan move he makes.  New schools for kids to settle into each time they move too.

Yes, they get paid loads but if you are deeply unhappy in your private life - and it's easy to see how this can happen - then that really isn't that much compensation in my eyes.  

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Whatever  you’re earning or whatever your status in life you are still the little kid inside who wants love .

We can , and I’m sure a lot of us have , put up with situations where we aren’t appreciated and we just get on with it . 

Compare that to those situations where people are enthusiastic about you and give you support. 

I know where most people perform best.

Just to point out that our behaviour does have an affect on those around us and for those players who we want to go the extra mile we’d be better off giving them some positivity and not running them down .

This applies in life equally !

Good points, I get that. It's easy to forget most footballers are young men really and having lots of money isn't always a blessing on someone's mental wellbeing.

You've changed my mind - I agree.

1 minute ago, Agard Days Night said:

Yes, that Michael Owen.

So what’s your point?

Because he played for England it’s fine he’s shown a big level of disrespect to newcastle and act like a bit of a cock whilst earning more in a week than most people would earn in 3 years?

2 hours ago, RedSkin said:

Michael Owen specifics aside, I do feel alot of fans do not see players as ordinary people with all frailtiies and insecurities we all share.

In alot of interviews with Kasey Palmer since he joined, he has consistently mentioned how glad he is to sign and feel like he has a home and can settle.

Footballers so get treated as pieces of meat at times when a club no longer wants them.   (Paterson looked like he was in shock being interviewed on Derby's site).   Kasey has been pushed out on loan all over the country by Chelsea.  As well as integrating with new team mates professionally, he will need to make some good friends as building friendships outside the football bubble must be almost impossible.

He has a young family so his partner would have been to make friends away from support of her family each loan move he makes.  New schools for kids to settle into each time they move too.

Yes, they get paid loads but if you are deeply unhappy in your private life - and it's easy to see how this can happen - then that really isn't that much compensation in my eyes.  

Benik Afobe too? How it must feel when your own fans boo you every time you touch the ball I really can`t imagine.

Archived