IGNORED

A Cider With: Jon Lansdown

Shtanley

Really enjoyed listening to the interview. Came over as a really nice guy who clearly cares passionately about the club and the role he’s performing. Clearly not as used to being behind a microphone as Stanley or Dave, but put himself over very well, and was actually fascinating to listen to, and one wonders why we’ve haven’t heard from him more often. I’d not really heard him talk at length before and probably like all those that have listened to it, came away feeling an immense sense of gratitude that our club is being supported by such an incredible family who’s support for the club is not just financial, but they’re actually continuing to working tirelessly to improve everything at the club themselves too.

As one who stood on the terrace at Newport away with my Dad back in 1982 when we didn’t know whether our club would be liquidated the following week following years of well meaning, but evidently financial mismanagement.  I’m so grateful to those people and their families who’ve put money into the club, knowing full well they’re pretty unlikely to see that money again, when it’s so much easier not to do so, and let’s face it, when there’s so many other things they could’ve spent the money on.

I know it wasn’t the aim of the interview, but probably like most I came away feeling that we’re so incredibly lucky to have their family running our club. 

Great podcast thank you  

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Anyway, how about Jonathan Pearce? Isnt he based in London? Aren't you based in London? He seems to be a mad city fan so would surely be up for it.

I had a yes from JP but then it didn’t quite get sorted. I’ll try again soon. 

23 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

That's a good shout.  Also what about Richard Scudamore?  He's a City fan and could give us some interesting insights into the Premier League.

You could ask him about raping and pillaging the integrity of our beloved sport. 

I should qualify my above statement. Given his remit, he did a terrific job for the few clubs who are ever-present in the Premier League, turning them all into behemoths of the game. He's turned footballers into Aston Martin's main demographic. He's generated huge amounts of revenue, blah blah blah. With the view of a cold businessman or someone who prioritises fans with new 60" screens and bags of doritos, or Asian fans visiting for the weekend with 50/50 scarves he couldn't have done a better job. 

He must be Sky's best friend. 

For me he's one of the most dislikable people in football. That he comes from Bristol and went to my school is even worse. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

I should qualify my above statement. Given his remit, he did a terrific job for the few clubs who are ever-present in the Premier League, turning them all into behemoths of the game. He's turned footballers into Aston Martin's main demographic. He's generated huge amounts of revenue, blah blah blah. With the view of a cold businessman or someone who prioritises fans with new 60" screens and bags of doritos, or Asian fans visiting for the weekend with 50/50 scarves he couldn't have done a better job. 

He must be Sky's best friend. 

For me he's one of the most dislikable people in football. That he comes from Bristol and went to my school is even worse. 

And to accept £250k from virtually all the clubs as a pay-off was a disgrace.  I can’t forgive that. 

Thanks Stanley, just finished this excellent podcast. All of the 'Cider Withs' have been excellent but in some ways I found this the most interesting as he is the one of the interviewees so far I knew the least about.

JL has always just been SL's son to me prior to this and I'd never really appreciated either what he did or him as a person. This interview really did bring this out and he clearly is his own person (as much as one can be given his Father) who has done a lot for the club; and is clearly and has been a massive fan.

His comments and insight into the corporate, political and at times archaic world of football was superb. Personally I was disappointed with his, what I perceived to be, underplaying of the massive achievement of the double winning season (maybe the body language was better?) and him being somewhat dismissive of SC; there is clearly a lot that went on there of which there are lots of rumours but we'll never really get the full story from both sides.

If you've not listened to it I really recommend it, in some ways more than any of the others as it certainly made me appreciate and respect JL for all he's done. 

Excellent podcast. Also thought JL came across really well (frog in throat aside). A fan who gets to do what loads of us would dream of doing if we had the financial position, but still a proper fan of the club aiming to do what is best for the club. 

Hearing this, and looking at likes of Bury and Bolton, realise how lucky we are to have them. 

On 29/09/2017 at 23:34, Shtanley said:

I think we could easily organise a fans’ podcast. Plenty of people would want to get involved. 

On 05/10/2017 at 18:28, Shtanley said:

Me and my good pal Joe are organising it cause it's something we've been thinking about for the past couple of months. We figured 3 people is the right number for something like this so we'll just see who wants to get involved each week. We're pretty committed but sometimes we won't be around so people can step in. We want as much fan involvement as possible really rather than coming across to everyone like we're "experts".

Nearly 2 years ago. Where has the time gone? ?  Fantastic interview.  Fantastic show.  Podcast 'salright. ?

5 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Thinking about local interviews with Benny Lennartsson and Sven-Göran Eriksson (regarding the Maynard saga signing for Leicester).

Jan Möller, Vegard Hansen, Stig Johansen and Gustav Engvall on the waiting list.

Possibly under the OSIB umbrella if allowed too. 

We'd have to change the name of the spin-off series to Twenty Ciders with Tommy &...

Archived