IGNORED

Club shop now v 80s

54-46

13 hours ago, TBW said:

There's also some shit there... lampshades, aprons, dart flights, mirrors, rosettes. Can't imagine them being big money makers.

I played for a pub darts team at that time.

Always extra needle playing against a Rovers fan and added satisfaction to beat him using my City dart flights.

Remember one was so annoyed to lose to a City supporter he went straight outside the pub and booted his own motorbike! :rofl2br:

Still got the flights, although like my old tungstens they haven't seen the light of day for many years.

Everything was about BCFC in those days and the more ways you could show your colours the better - I wore a bright red City belt out and about for years.

Still remember going down with my dad to get my first city tracksuit. It was a black, white and red bukta effort. 

Its still my favourite bit of city clothing after all these years. I can’t find an image of it online but it was quite distinctive.

Loved it.

18 minutes ago, WesM said:

Still remember going down with my dad to get my first city tracksuit. It was a black, white and red bukta effort. 

Its still my favourite bit of city clothing after all these years. I can’t find an image of it online but it was quite distinctive.

Loved it.

The shellsuit ?

They were nice 

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The shellsuit ?

They were nice 

Weirdly enough they only sold the tops, not the bottoms. At least they did when I got mine, I just got some plain black similar bottoms from elsewhere. I cringe now, but everyone had at least one shellsuit back in the day. I still got it somewhere, will never wear it again but couldn’t bare to throw it out. 

14 hours ago, Xiled said:

I'm old enough that I should know the answer to this but why does everything have a postage price?

Did people call up and order or send a form? If it was in the programme surely the supporter was at the ground and could just call in the shop and buy?

I've no idea why I'm asking questions about this. But equally not sure I can sleep without the answers.

There was often a big queue to get in. One in one out. 

Maybe postage was for those who didn't have the time to wait. 

18 hours ago, redcityman said:

You forgot use the bathroom before bedtime remembering to use your Bristol Rovers toilet paper!

I  still don't know why the club shop doesn't sell Blue & White quartered toilet paper. By omitting their badge, no Royalties to pay either.

I agree with

5 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Was that the portacabin behind the Williams Stand? I remember they sold a whole load of old programs too.

8 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Used to love the City Shop back in those days. IIRC it was always open on a Sunday in the 80s when they had the market in the car park behind the Williams. You'd have boxes of old programs on the counter at something like 3 for 20p. Most were old City 1st Div ones but there were older ones and other teams. I used to have quite a collection of randoms. I also STILL have BCFC Dart Flights, thank you very much. 

I miss the cardboard box on the counter which contained programme from previous seasons of many clubs.

Gillingham  v Sarfend,  Liverpool v  Arsenal or Arbroath v Albion? "Got one 'ere somewhere mate".

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

On it's own? That must've been quite the sight! Bit like a BCFC Stan the Man 

Not just a City belt, a denim jacket with BCFC badges and a silk scarf tied round each wrist too. 

My long hair covered the rest. :yes:

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

God I very much doubt it - he was getting on a bit in the 80s! 

He was mentioned on one of the local Bristol FB groups recently and it seems he's long gone unfortunately.

Not sure he was that old judging from some of the replies - think he was so well tanned/weather beaten he may have appeared older than he was.

19 hours ago, 54-46 said:

I know nostalgia isn’t what it used to be but I was looking through some old programmes the other day and noticed the quality items you could buy off the lovely smiling Beryl back in the day

791248C2-9447-4EC9-B54C-97510118B3A1.jpeg

Even accounting for inflation, the SIXTY QUID I was quoted for postage of my City shirt last season (that’s postage alone, not inclusive of the purchased item) is a far cry from 16p.

I had it sent to a UK address and wired the kind soul the actual £8 it cost to post instead.

stan The man from Hungerford Rd in briz- he was always skating about when I was young.

As for the shop and super Beryl well not for me.She wouldn’t let me buy a ticket for the train to Plymouth back in 85 because I wasn’t 16 .Fortunately my mate Nigel who was 14-15 as well but looked older than me got me one and we went to the Rising Sun for a 2 pints of Hofmeister.we slagged her right off.

And as for the special train to Plymouth!!!!  I’m still awaiting for the compensation from  trainline??

Those were the days.

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Last week, myself and the boy went “groundhopping” round London and visited five grounds in the day. We went in the various club shops and by god, some tat is available:

- In Fulham’s club shop you can get a Scott Parker bobble head - about a foot tall

- In Spurs shop they sell Tottenham bra and panties sets, embossed with the cockerel logo (although disappointingly “To Dare is to do” is not across the gusset)

- Loftus Road. You can buy a QPR HGV truck. Just bizarre.

- Spurs also sell half and half scarves...

What were the more impressive items were in Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs. All had reasonable “retro” ranges, some score draw stuff but some not, example of Chelsea had commodore shirts (from the Robbie Turner game!) and 60’s/70’s kit. What was also done, which I think could be done here was a scale puzzle of the ground for £25-£30. Example below of the Emirates. Now Ashton has a fairly unique and recognisable look, could be a seller?

(I’d also love to see a version of the Memorial Ground for sh!ts and giggles...)

16BF4BFA-3EB7-4977-8CD8-CAD2129566DF.jpeg

They would give you a box of matches and some skidmarked undercrackers...do your best.

20 hours ago, 54-46 said:

I know nostalgia isn’t what it used to be but I was looking through some old programmes the other day and noticed the quality items you could buy off the lovely smiling Beryl back in the day

I remember going into the shop/portacabin and it was rammed every time you just had to go with the flow, I used to buy photos of the players and got my very first scarf!  Remember seeing the Hirerite striped shirt and really wanting one but my Dad never taking the hint!  Different times, although the new shop isn’t much bigger!

10 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The shellsuit ?

They were nice 

9 hours ago, RedM said:

Weirdly enough they only sold the tops, not the bottoms. At least they did when I got mine.

Yeah the shell suit. It was well smart.

They did do the matching bottoms, I had the full suit.

On 04/09/2019 at 21:24, 54-46 said:

One Easter Holidays, I was 11 I think, I remember getting my Dad to take me down to that old shop so I could spend the money I’d had in lieu of Easter Eggs. 

Even though it was 10 years after this photo was taken, it brings back memories, to 11 year old me, with £20, it seemed like an Aladdin’s Cave! 

I wonder if the kids go in the new shop and feel the same? Or, has the world changed too much in the last 25 years or so?

Archived