IGNORED

Mind the gap / Gert Lush.

Lammers

The Mind The gap design is only as a free tester competition prize, the Gert Lush design is mine, I'm sure London Transport will be in contact if its an issue, but as i'm not making any funds on the gap one it shouldn't be too much of an issue. i'll do a bit more research regarding the Logo if its a major issue i'll amend the design. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3257895.stm

Dialect guide is 'gurt lush'
A Dictionary of Bristle
The dictionary's authors hope to demystify the city's dialect
Two Bristolians have launched a dictionary to help decipher the city's local dialect.

"A Dictionary of Bristle" is an idea spawned from the satirical website, That Be Bristle.

The site features a guide - partly created from user contributions - which explains the meaning of local slang phrases such as "babber" and "rit"

One of the book's authors, Harry Stoke, told the BBC that he hoped the book would help reignite interest in the accent.

He said: "Bristol is a city which is built on history, and its language plays a large part in that.

"But like all regional dialects, Bristolian is in danger of dying out.

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3257895.stm

Dialect guide is 'gurt lush'
A Dictionary of Bristle
The dictionary's authors hope to demystify the city's dialect
Two Bristolians have launched a dictionary to help decipher the city's local dialect.

"A Dictionary of Bristle" is an idea spawned from the satirical website, That Be Bristle.

The site features a guide - partly created from user contributions - which explains the meaning of local slang phrases such as "babber" and "rit"

One of the book's authors, Harry Stoke, told the BBC that he hoped the book would help reignite interest in the accent.

He said: "Bristol is a city which is built on history, and its language plays a large part in that.

"But like all regional dialects, Bristolian is in danger of dying out.

like i said i found both ways of spelling it, so glad i posted this, what was an opportunity for someone to get a free t shirt has turned into copyright issues and spelling, might stick to twitter in future, thanks OTIB, never fail to make me smile.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/bristol-words-phrases-meaning/

Smoothin’

This term refers to the affectionate gesture used when comforting a cat, used when most English speakers would say ‘stroking’.

Use it in a sentence: “Tha’s a lovely cat, that is. It sat on my knee, so I been smoothin’ it.”

I've been smoothin ar' cat #bristolian

Spanner

You may be thinking, “I know this one! It’s a handy tool commonly used during DIY”. Wrong. In Bristol, ‘spanner’ denotes a person of inescapable daftness. An idiot.

Use it in a sentence: “That bladdy spanner. Wass ‘ee gone an’ done now?

Gurt

When in Bristol, use ‘gurt’ whenever you’d usually use ‘very’. It’s a truly local way to emphasise something

2 minutes ago, Lammers said:

like i said i found both ways of spelling it, so glad i posted this, what was an opportunity for someone to get a free t shirt has turned into copyright issues and spelling, might stick to twitter in future, thanks OTIB, never fail to make me smile.

Gurt Lush/Gert Lush could be the new People's Front of Judea/Judean People's Front 

19 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/bristol-words-phrases-meaning/

Smoothin’

This term refers to the affectionate gesture used when comforting a cat, used when most English speakers would say ‘stroking’.

Use it in a sentence: “Tha’s a lovely cat, that is. It sat on my knee, so I been smoothin’ it.”

I've been smoothin ar' cat #bristolian

Spanner

You may be thinking, “I know this one! It’s a handy tool commonly used during DIY”. Wrong. In Bristol, ‘spanner’ denotes a person of inescapable daftness. An idiot.

Use it in a sentence: “That bladdy spanner. Wass ‘ee gone an’ done now?

Gurt

When in Bristol, use ‘gurt’ whenever you’d usually use ‘very’. It’s a truly local way to emphasise something

Travelling around the country, you become aware of the phrases you have grown up with that are only used in our area, (or perhaps I should say "areawl". Some examples are: -

Snow only "pitches" in Bristol, other places, it "lies", "settles" or "sticks" and other such words.

"Daps" and "Dap bag" - most people seem to use the term "pumps" for those slip on shoes we used for P.E. as young kids.

"Slider", in the playground, not "slide" as it probably should be referred to. 

Incidentally, the first time I used Uber, I was shocked to discover it seemed to have been designed by Bristolians as the first question it asks you is "where to?" - I was a bit disappointed to find it then said "pick up point" rather than "where bist?" :) 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Travelling around the country, you become aware of the phrases you have grown up with that are only used in our area, (or perhaps I should say "areawl". Some examples are: -

Snow only "pitches" in Bristol, other places, it "lies", "settles" or "sticks" and other such words.

"Daps" and "Dap bag" - most people seem to use the term "pumps" for those slip on shoes we used for P.E. as young kids.

Incidentally, the first time I used Uber, I was shocked to discover it seemed to have been designed by Bristolians as the first question it asks you is "where to?" - I was a bit disappointed to find it then said "pick up point" rather than "where bist?" :) 

Daps is used in Glawster too.

Pretty sure bist is a Forest word too, but that's practically a different language, me ole butt.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

….the good old Bristolian COD LOT seems to be endangered too … use it or lose it me babbers ! !

11 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

….the good old Bristolian COD LOT seems to be endangered too … use it or lose it me babbers ! !

I remember my mum, who was from Belfast, being amazed at how the Bristolians could shorten everything. people called Ian having their names shortened to "e" and so on. One day my mate left my house saying (to my ears) "See you tomorrow Gareth", what my mum pointed out was what he actually said was "c u mar Gar" :) 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember my mum, who was from Belfast, being amazed at how the Bristolians could shorten everything. people called Ian having their names shortened to "e" and so on. One day my mate left my house saying (to my ears) "See you tomorrow Gareth", what my mum pointed out was what he actually said was "c u mar Gar" :) 

Brilliant 

Archived