IGNORED

Front cover City!

Dr Balls

Happened to find an old article about the anniversary of Roy of the Rovers. And one of the front covers they used will bring back memories for those of us old enough to recall the 4 years when we were a top flight club. Maybe those days could be back very soon...

B1118711-4DAE-42A7-94FE-0D8D06CBAC14.jpeg

Gosh, that takes me back.  What a team we had in those days.  I was there when we clinched promotion v pompey and again when we escaped relegation at highfield road.  Hardly missed a game in those days, even though not a season ticket holder (you could only get season tickets in the stand).

I was lucky enough to know Paul Cheesley, Trevor Tainton, Gerry Gow and Clive Whitehead, which made it all the more enjoyable. Who were the others who used to congregate at the Mariners at Pill on a Sunday lunchtime?

I would love to see us playing at the top level again and I really think that we have the players and set up to do it if it is all managed properly.

The prem is a hard division to crack however, and it maybe that we only get a crack at it for a season or two.  That said, I don't think we are that different to the likes of Leicester and that seemed to go pretty well.

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Not so! My mate and I had season tickets to stand in the Enclosure for each year we were in Division One.

I had a season “book” for the East End during the Division One day’s  and, if I remember correctly, half was full of match numbered tickets and the other half alphabetical vouchers!

Guess what? I can just about remember both - First Division days and Roy of the Rovers.

Every week my old gran used to buy me that and every year the annual.... happiest days of my life.

So much so I’ve just found this very copy on eBay. It’ll look lovely in a frame alongside the rest of the City stuff we’ve got! ?

Ah, that's right.  You could get them for the enclosures, but not the ends.  We used to stand on the open end right next to the enclosure and get wet because we couldn't afford the extra 6d or whatever it was to stand under cover.

As for the Dolman stand, that had not been built when I first started going and there was nothing in front of the brick wall at first.

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ah, that's right.  You could get them for the enclosures, but not the ends.  We used to stand on the open end right next to the enclosure and get wet because we couldn't afford the extra 6d or whatever it was to stand under cover.

Nope, I had one for the East End!

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, I don't remember being able to get those.  Mind you, we lived week to week in those days and a season ticket would have been out of the question. 

You're with me kid, the posters on here stating that they had season tickets to stand in the enclosure are clearly giving away the fact that they were amongst the affluent minority in the 1970s. Even those with Schoolboy Enclosure season tickets had had them purchased for them by affluent parents. My parents, as you stated, lived week to week back then, both worked. I had a paper round and saved some of the money. Then when Xmas came around, my mum borrowed £20 off of me (the majority of my savings) to get my presents! When my aunt died we could only afford to have her buried vertically.

I got £2 a week for the paper round and had 50p a week pocket money. It used to cost me 90p to get into the covered end and 15p for a programme. I used to have Shoot magazine delivered which was about 25-30p so I had very little left over from football expenses. Those who had season tickets to stand in the enclosure were like the bourgeoisie to me back then. Those that had season tickets to sit in the stands were nobility. They were seriously rich by 1970s standards.

The good thing is, I haven't let this affect me and I have largely forgotten about it and how downtrodden I felt. We are all Bristol City fans, after all, and I enjoyed the football. Anyway, happy days.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

You're with me kid, the posters on here stating that they had season tickets to stand in the enclosure are clearly giving away the fact that they were amongst the affluent minority in the 1970s. Even those with Schoolboy Enclosure season tickets had had them purchased for them by affluent parents. My parents, as you stated, lived week to week back then, both worked. I had a paper round and saved some of the money. Then when Xmas came around, my mum borrowed £20 off of me (the majority of my savings) to get my presents! When my aunt died we could only afford to have her buried vertically.

I got £2 a week for the paper round and had 50p a week pocket money. It used to cost me 90p to get into the covered end and 15p for a programme. I used to have Shoot magazine delivered which was about 25-30p so I had very little left over from football expenses. Those who had season tickets to stand in the enclosure were like the bourgeoisie to me back then. Those that had season tickets to sit in the stands were nobility. They were seriously rich by 1970s standards.

The good thing is, I haven't let this affect me and I have largely forgotten about it and how downtrodden I felt. We are all Bristol City fans, after all, and I enjoyed the football. Anyway, happy days.

Certainly not affluent at the time, had just started work and guess the cost of a season ticket was about £15? If so about a week’s take home? ?

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

As for the Dolman stand, that had not been built when I first started going and there was nothing in front of the brick wall at first.

I think the ‘schoolboys’ enclosure in front of the Dolman Stand was initially rapidly built between the draw being made and the Leeds United FA Cup tie in 1974 in order to accommodate a few thousand extra. I was there for that game . Managed to get tickets for the open end a few weeks later for the Q/F against Liverpool. 

In our final season in the top flight, I had a Saturday job in the warehouse at ASDA. I was better off financially compared to the paper round and pocket money days but it meant I hardly seen City that final season. I look back now and think I was poorer for it even though I had a bit more brass in my pocket. 

On top of that, I had sat through some absolutely awful Cup Finals - the only domestic club game broadcast live on TV each season back then - and the one I missed, 1979, through working, turned out to be a thriller. I had heard in ASDA that it was 2-0 to Arsenal with just a few minutes left in a rather tepid affair. So I felt rather pleased with myself that I had missed another stinker as I walked home. I got in and seen the Green' UN and my jaw dropped to the floor to discover that Man Utd had pulled it back to 2-2 in the last couple of minutes, only for Sunderland to go up the other end and grab the winner! 3-2. 3 bloody 2. 

(I will wait for some of our younger posters to pull me up shortly. He, he.)

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

In our final season in the top flight, I had a Saturday job in the warehouse at ASDA. I was better off financially compared to the paper round and pocket money days but it meant I hardly seen City that final season. I look back now and think I was poorer for it even though I had a bit more brass in my pocket. 

On top of that, I had sat through some absolutely awful Cup Finals - the only domestic club game broadcast live on TV each season back then - and the one I missed, 1979, through working, turned out to be a thriller. I had heard in ASDA that it was 2-0 to Arsenal with just a few minutes left in a rather tepid affair. So I felt rather pleased with myself that I had missed another stinker as I walked home. I got in and seen the Green' UN and my jaw dropped to the floor to discover that Man Utd had pulled it back to 2-2 in the last couple of minutes, only for Sunderland to go up the other end and grab the winner! 3-2. 3 bloody 2. 

(I will wait for some of our younger posters to pull me up shortly. He, he.)

was it man u sunderland or arsenal sunderland.i remember an ian Porterfield being a hero and maybe bob stokoe?

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Me too Rog! I was on the open end side of the tunnel - not immediately next to it but about ten yards away, halfway back and in front of a crash barrier (so that I couldn’t be crushed against it when we scored!). 

I was on the covered end side! 2 or 3 pints in the Plume of Feathers, go to the game, go for a piss, watch the second half, walk back to the Plume, more pints of Pompey Royal, stagger back to my girlfriends place! Regular!

8 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I had a schoolboy enclosure ST but I can assure I certainly didn't have affluent parents, bit of a generalisation to say that all season ticket holders were affluent.

Archived