IGNORED

Garry Monk appointed new Owls manager.

Lanterne Rouge

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

As title. I`m still not sure what to make of him TBH. Promising up-and-coming English manager or wide boy stealing a living?

@Owl Visiting?

I think that’s great news for the rest of the Championship, he’s definitely flattered to deceive with very little flattery.

Be interesting to see who he signs & what ‘agent’ he uses......

I'm sure I've seen a number of articles in the press about his questionable practices with agents.

This has led I believe to Boro taking him to court, and Birmingham getting shot of him on the hurry up.

I'm amazed Sheff Wed have employed him to be honest, with all this going on. It does appear however that they've been turned down by a number of managers. So maybe both parties were desperate.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/new-claims-over-wiped-laptop-16535755

12 hours ago, GJS said:

What happened to them getting Danny Cowley? Thought they were close to getting him.

Any manager of the ilk of Cowley needs to take a look at Nathan Jones to realise the grass isn’t always greener.  Not saying don’t consider it, just don’t do it based on ‘bigger club’, ‘more money’.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Any manager of the ilk of Cowley needs to take a look at Nathan Jones to realise the grass isn’t always greener.  Not saying don’t consider it, just don’t do it based on ‘bigger club’, ‘more money’.

There was a story & interview with Danny Cowley on SSN the other day, basically saying that he was approached about joining Huddersfield & he said “no disrespect but wherever he / they (him & his brother) go, it has to be right for them & their families & that they are 100% happy where they currently are”.

So I would imagine that if they turned Huddersfield down & with Wednesday’s financial issues & geographical positioning, they probably turned Wednesday down as well?

And much more to your point of them realising ‘the grass isn’t always greener’, it seems like they clearly have their heads screwed on & will be making any future decisions based very much on every aspect of the job, not just the financial benefits or historical size of a club.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

8 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There was a story & interview with Danny Cowley on SSN the other day, basically saying that he was approached about joining Huddersfield & he said “no disrespect but wherever he / they (him & his brother) go, it has to be right for them & their families & that they are 100% happy where they currently are”.

So I would imagine that if they turned Huddersfield down & with Wednesday’s financial issues & geographical positioning, they probably turned Wednesday down as well?

And much more to your point of them realising ‘the grass isn’t always greener’, it seems like they clearly have their heads screwed on & will be making any future decisions based very much on every aspect of the job, not just the financial benefits or historical size of a club.

I would imagine that, in the unlikely event that LJ were to move on, Danny Cowley would be high on our list as a replacement and I suspect he would take the job if it was offered.

Not sure about him really, felt a bit underwhelmed yesterday but mainly because it's the kind of appointment that could have been made several weeks ago. Feeling more positive today though, the Birmingham fans seem to like him and generally he's done alright in most of his jobs. 

It's hard to get too excited with anything Wednesday related at the moment as I think we've got midtable written all over us this season regardless. 

I don't believe any contact was ever made with Cowley, it was just that one report from Sky which Cowley dismissed later that night. Wrong time for him to come to us anyway, expectations are unrealistically high at Hillsborough, always have been whilst I've been alive. 

Relieved it wasn't Pulis by the way. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wasn’t Monk on his way from Swansea to sign for us as a player once, but changed his mind during the drive and turned around?  Summer 2012?

I remember that, yes.

We'd started the season pretty well, Baldock and Davies- at home pretty free scoring but signs that we were just that bit open i our play. He was linked but I wasn't fully aware of the story that he changed his mind during the drive- we really needed that experienced CB...

22 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Wasn’t Monk on his way from Swansea to sign for us as a player once, but changed his mind during the drive and turned around?  Summer 2012?

I remember that. Struggled at the time to get into our premier league side, so probably was looking for some regular first team football. When he did get a run in the team due to injuries, he did very well. Never had a bad game regardless of what division he was playing in.

Archived