IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Selred

On 07/09/2019 at 17:13, Andy082005 said:

I bet he didn’t even know where Jamaica was on a map 12 months ago

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

My point in the comment is I believe you should only be able to represent the country you are born in and bought up in.

Absolute rubbish. You post is nothing of the sort. 

2 hours ago, fishy said:

So you don't believe that Mo Farah should be able to represent GB, then?

WellFarah  showed his gratitude to this country for giving him and his family shelter by ******* off to the US with his family and is a tax exile from the UK so personally I think he should be nowhere near a GB vest.

Bobby perfectly qualified to play for Jamaica.certainly rather more than all the pacific islanders playing for nothern hemisphere rigby sides after a few years "residency".

17 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I think Andy has a point though, our Lee was given a call about playing for Gib. Now surely that doesn’t make sense? A country he might not have visited, a country i doubt he has any allegiance to but is able to play for them?

Obviously there are some cases where the rules are seriously stretched. However this isn’t one of them...

39 minutes ago, Selred said:

Absolute rubbish. You post is nothing of the sort. 

Yeah it was. Some of the international caps you see are laughable 

I see Tammy Abraham is considering changing to Nigeria ....

Already played for England. Now might change?

Declan Rice is it? Played for Ireland? Now England....

It's daft 

25 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I think Andy has a point though, our Lee was given a call about playing for Gib. Now surely that doesn’t make sense? A country he might not have visited, a country i doubt he has any allegiance to but is able to play for them?

The exact point I was getting at 

It stops the country in question developing and giving home grown talent an opportunity 

As for Bobby, I apologise to those if I got it wrong. I had no idea he had been on holiday there a few times. That's makes up for it ?

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It's daft 

That's crap, the only person who thinks Tammy is switching to Nigeria is the head of the Nigerian Football Association. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9852663/tammy-abraham-england-nigeria/

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Obviously there are some cases where the rules are seriously stretched. However this isn’t one of them...

They arnt stretched though, his nan is from there. Having it as place of birth would make more sense, if you look at someone who emigrated to this country as a young lad they could play for either

England

Wales

Scotland

NI

Plus his country of birth,

Now, lets say both parents are from different countries, Thats now up to 7 national teams they can play for,

Take their grandparents, who were each born in different countires, thats another 4 teams. I know its extreme, but one lad who grew up here could play for 11 countries, that doesnt make sense.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

They arnt stretched though, his nan is from there. Having it as place of birth would make more sense, if you look at someone who emigrated to this country as a young lad they could play for either

England

Wales

Scotland

NI

Plus his country of birth,

Now, lets say both parents are from different countries, Thats now up to 7 national teams they can play for,

Take their grandparents, who were each born in different countires, thats another 4 teams. I know its extreme, but one lad who grew up here could play for 11 countries, that doesnt make sense.

In the last world cup didn't two brothers play against one another? Germany v Cameroon or something like that?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What if you are born in one country and brought up in another? 

And why shouldn't someone be able to represent the country one of their parents is from?

But in this case he isn't .

It's all opinions I guess. I look at Bobby and see him as British / English etc, whatever you prefer. 'Born and Bred' in Bristol the articles used to say wasn't it?

Good luck to the kid though. Always worked hard and did well for us, and always had a good attitude . Deserves his success 

24 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The exact point I was getting at 

It stops the country in question developing and giving home grown talent an opportunity 

Ummm, so by that logic Taylor Moore should play for France, no? Country in question benefiting from developing, that's where he was 'grown'. 

As for Bobby, I apologise to those if I got it wrong. I had no idea he had been on holiday there a few times. That's makes up for it ?

This assumes home for him wasn't a 'little Jamaica' in Blighty being immersed in the Jamaican culture. A bit like a Spanish kid growing up near the coast in Benidorm would probably feel just at home on a hot day in Brean Sands. 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

It's daft 

I agree with that. But you didn't say that originally. You said you doubt Reid even knows where Jamaica is. 

You made a cheap jibe at Reid, without knowing your facts, and looked an idiot. Same as with Abraham and Nigeria, do your research, as he hasn't suggested that at all.

I understand and get your point about players playing for countries with no connection, but Reid doesn't fall into the bracket at all.

It’s a complex issue and to be honest I’m not sure there’s a right answer. It seems wrong to me that Bobby Reid can represent Jamaica. He was born in England, raised in England, educated in England and lived his whole life in England. Whilst I know that his parent(s)? are Jamaican, to me, that doesn’t make Bobby Jamaican in any tangible sense. 

Having been born, raised, and always lived in England, I can’t imagine ever wanting to represent another nation just because I technically could. Though I also have English parents so I don’t know how it feels to have that link to another nation  

For me the acid test is if he had Southgate on the phone at the same time, who would he choose to represent. If it’s England, then for me he should be nowhere near a Jamaica shirt, but only he will know the honest answer to that, though he’ll also be well aware that it’s a hypothetical question, so has he chosen Jamaica for the ‘right’ reason or just because it’s his only chance at international football? For me that’s wrong (not saying that’s the case here). 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Are you kidding? 

No. I’ve always found the notion odd that you are what your parents are. If I had two English parents but was born in France, educated in France and spent my entire life from womb to grave in France, I’d consider myself pretty French. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No. I’ve always found the notion odd that you are what your parents are. If I had two English parents but was born in France, educated in France and spent my entire life from womb to grave in France, I’d consider myself pretty French. 

I don't totally disagree - I just don't think it's that simple. I guess everyone's individual circumstances are different, obviously,  but if you were brought up in the same situation as you describe yet you spoke English at home, ate English food, went to an English speaking school and watched English TV all the time I guess you'd probably be quite within your rights to think of yourself as "English" despite by a freak of geographical location being born in France. Nothing against the French by the way, their's is a beautiful country! 

My father was Indian. He was the only person on his side of his family that i knew. (apart from my brother and sister of course)

Rest of my family are all english.

I have never been to India. I can only speak English.

But i still class myself as half indian. Because i am. I have indian blood.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I agree with that. But you didn't say that originally. You said you doubt Reid even knows where Jamaica is. 

You made a cheap jibe at Reid, without knowing your facts, and looked an idiot. Same as with Abraham and Nigeria, do your research, as he hasn't suggested that at all.

I understand and get your point about players playing for countries with no connection, but Reid doesn't fall into the bracket at all.

“You made a cheap jibe at Reid without knowing your facts and looked an idiot”

not really mate . I stand by my comments. Sorry if you want to get all precious about it....

As another poster put....had he been offered the chance to play for England, he wouldn’t have given Jamaica a second thought. Why? Because he’s English 

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

But Taylor-Moore wasn’t born in France?? What’s your point? He was born in London 

Suppose its the point of those military recruitment adverts - born in X but made in the army/navy/RAF. 

You spoke of 'Home Grown', whilst Taylor was born in London, his footballing prowess was grown, developed in France where he called home - which was his home when he was playing for.... England schoolboys. Same as Eric Dier in Portugal. 

I think if you're someone quite insular and have never traversed the world, it is difficult to understand that you can get a strong your sense of belonging from your parental upbringing. It would be easy for a white English bloke always living in England to not understand that second generation immigrants (even further) feel a sense of belonging to the country their parents were brought up in because of the culture their parents may instil at home. 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

As another poster put....had he been offered the chance to play for England, he wouldn’t have given Jamaica a second thought. Why? Because he’s English 

Chances are, he would pick England. But not because he's english (he is and jamaican)

But because England are a much better team to play for on the international stage - its that simple.

Archived