IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Selred

40 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I don't totally disagree - I just don't think it's that simple. I guess everyone's individual circumstances are different, obviously,  but if you were brought up in the same situation as you describe yet you spoke English at home, ate English food, went to an English speaking school and watched English TV all the time I guess you'd probably be quite within your rights to think of yourself as "English" despite by a freak of geographical location being born in France. Nothing against the French by the way, their's is a beautiful country! 

Completely agree hence me saying it’s a complex issue. I completely understand why people with mixed heritage wouldn’t necessarily feel the way I feel about it. 

41 minutes ago, Riaz said:

My father was Indian. He was the only person on his side of his family that i knew. (apart from my brother and sister of course)

Rest of my family are all english.

I have never been to India. I can only speak English.

But i still class myself as half indian. Because i am. I have indian blood.

Interesting. Hypothetical of course but if both national teams were courting your services who would you pick? Deep down do you feel slightly more English than Indian or vice verse? If it’s completely, inseperably 50/50, would you just choose the better team in footballing terms?

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting. Hypothetical of course but if both national teams were courting your services who would you pick? Deep down do you feel slightly more English than Indian or vice verse? If it’s completely, inseperably 50/50, would you just choose the better team in footballing terms?

From what i've written the choice is obvious. England.

But if i could represent India, i would.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Why? Because he’s English

He’s English and Jamaican. 

Your original point about him not knowing where Jamaica was naive and wrong. Just admit it. 

Also he probably massively identifies being Jamaican as I bet his household was full on Jamaican culture, from the music to the food. It’s not like when people come over here they lose all of their home country culture. 

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

As did/do Jamaicans John Barnes and Raheem Stirling.

Edit: Not cricket obviously!  :laughcont:

Viv Richards played a Football World Cup qualifier for Antigua allegedly.  One of those quiz questions, “who played in the football and cricket World Cup”.

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Suppose its the point of those military recruitment adverts - born in X but made in the army/navy/RAF. 

You spoke of 'Home Grown', whilst Taylor was born in London, his footballing prowess was grown, developed in France where he called home - which was his home when he was playing for.... England schoolboys. Same as Eric Dier in Portugal. 

I think if you're someone quite insular and have never traversed the world, it is difficult to understand that you can get a strong your sense of belonging from your parental upbringing. It would be easy for a white English bloke always living in England to not understand that second generation immigrants (even further) feel a sense of belonging to the country their parents were brought up in because of the culture their parents may instil at home. 

Not really quite sure what you are getting at here, and there's every chance I could be misinterpreting this...but can't help but find this a little patronising . 

I'm assuming....(happy to be corrected), that you think I'm a bit insular and never travelled? If so, I'll have you know that's not the case . I've been very fortunate. 

Taylor-Moore is an English kid who went to ply his trade, and learn his trade in another country. He's English at the end of the day....he plays for England 

Bobby Reid is English. He is playing for Jamaica. My personal opinion is that by him playing for Jamaica, just like when the 'Irish' players used to play for Ireland ....it is taking the spot of someone who was born and bred in that country, and would give anything to represent their country 

Playing for your country should be the ultimate honour. It used to be anyway. As someone else rightly said....he would not have given Jamaica a second thought had Southgate been on the blower. That's not how it should be imo

2 hours ago, Selred said:

He’s English and Jamaican. 

Your original point about him not knowing where Jamaica was naive and wrong. Just admit it. 

Also he probably massively identifies being Jamaican as I bet his household was full on Jamaican culture, from the music to the food. It’s not like when people come over here they lose all of their home country culture. 

It was tongue in cheek for christ sake 

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

Chances are, he would pick England. But not because he's english (he is and jamaican)

But because England are a much better team to play for on the international stage - its that simple.

If this is the case, then it just reaffirms my belief he shouldn't be playing for Jamaica . 

Each to their own I guess 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No. I’ve always found the notion odd that you are what your parents are. If I had two English parents but was born in France, educated in France and spent my entire life from womb to grave in France, I’d consider myself pretty French. 

Is there such a thing as ugly french?

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Would you still say the same if it had been his grandparents that were Jamaican ?

Why not. It’s all about your heritage and identity, surely? 

If the rules state you qualify, you’re good enough and are happy to represent whichever country comes calling, fair play I say. It would be a bit odd to represent a country you feel no affinity with. 

8 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

I think Andy has a point though, our Lee was given a call about playing for Gib. Now surely that doesn’t make sense? A country he might not have visited, a country i doubt he has any allegiance to but is able to play for them?

It's not the same as someone with Jamaican parents though is it? Ridiculous comparison.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s a complex issue and to be honest I’m not sure there’s a right answer. It seems wrong to me that Bobby Reid can represent Jamaica. He was born in England, raised in England, educated in England and lived his whole life in England. Whilst I know that his parent(s)? are Jamaican, to me, that doesn’t make Bobby Jamaican in any tangible sense. 

Having been born, raised, and always lived in England, I can’t imagine ever wanting to represent another nation just because I technically could. Though I also have English parents so I don’t know how it feels to have that link to another nation  

For me the acid test is if he had Southgate on the phone at the same time, who would he choose to represent. If it’s England, then for me he should be nowhere near a Jamaica shirt, but only he will know the honest answer to that, though he’ll also be well aware that it’s a hypothetical question, so has he chosen Jamaica for the ‘right’ reason or just because it’s his only chance at international football? For me that’s wrong (not saying that’s the case here). 

No offence mate but who are you to say what nationality and heritage someone should identify with?

You know relatively nothing about his upbringing, family, community or other.

Honestly how complicated is someone having dual nationality or heritage? 

14 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Ive often wondered if, had you been born in say, Turkey while your parents were on holiday, would that make you Turkish first and foremost ?

Some countries offer birthright citizenship, many, including Turkey, don't. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli?wprov=sfla1

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Surely hes from Jamaican Descent as per what Jamaican websites have been putting, he wasnt born there so surely he is english with Jamaican descent?

I dont see how someone can be from a country, if they were not born there.

He has jamaican parents.

He is both.

I've never been to India, but i am still indian, aswell as English.

35 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He has jamaican parents.

He is both.

I've never been to India, but i am still indian, aswell as English.

Here's an interesting question,

If you were adopted, for instance like Cass Pennant who classes himself as British due to being raised by his Adoptive Parents, if you had never met your Father, would you still class yourself as Indian?

If you have parents who were not born in the country you were born in e.g. Jamaica, you’re of Jamacian descent but you are English and have English nationality. 

If we want to take our nationality back  to our forebearers we’d all be eligible for the Viking national team?

15 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Playing for your country should be the ultimate honour. It used to be anyway. As someone else rightly said....he would not have given Jamaica a second thought had Southgate been on the blower. That's not how it should be imo

As a Jamaican and English, it can be the ultimate honour to play for either. One is not necessarily less than the other.

20 hours ago, The Bard said:

Well, you don't set the rules do you. Terry Butcher would have been Singapore''s best ever player following your logic.

Not Really. His father was in the armed forces so he would have been born in the Navy Hospital on the camp which is considered British territory.

56 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

If you have parents who were not born in the country you were born in e.g. Jamaica, you’re of Jamacian descent but you are English and have English nationality. 

If we want to take our nationality back  to our forebearers we’d all be eligible for the Viking national team?

My sister-in-law was born in Jamaica, and lived there for barely a year before the family returned to the UK. As a result she had dual citizenship, British and Jamaican (since added a third, French, as a result of living there for 20+ years).

Good luck telling her she is of English descent but has Jamaican nationality.

22 hours ago, Riaz said:

My father was Indian. He was the only person on his side of his family that i knew. (apart from my brother and sister of course)

Rest of my family are all english.

I have never been to India. I can only speak English.

But i still class myself as half indian. Because i am. I have indian blood.

My mother was English and a Bristol girl, my father was a Jew born in Cardiff. His father was a Russian Jew who lived in Poland before fleeing to Cardiff.  I’m English through and through! I’ve been to India twice and liked it a lot as I do the chilli inn in hanham! 

Archived