IGNORED

Bobby Reid

Selred

7 minutes ago, swanker said:

My mother was English and a Bristol girl,  my father was a Jew born in Cardiff. His father was a Russian Jew who lived in Poland before fleeing to Cardiff.  I’m English through and through!

But you also part welsh and have russian blood! :laugh:

But if you only feel english fair enough.

19 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Not really quite sure what you are getting at here, and there's every chance I could be misinterpreting this...but can't help but find this a little patronising . 

I'm assuming....(happy to be corrected), that you think I'm a bit insular and never travelled? If so, I'll have you know that's not the case . I've been very fortunate. 

Taylor-Moore is an English kid who went to ply his trade, and learn his trade in another country. He's English at the end of the day....he plays for England 

Bobby Reid is English. He is playing for Jamaica. My personal opinion is that by him playing for Jamaica, just like when the 'Irish' players used to play for Ireland ....it is taking the spot of someone who was born and bred in that country, and would give anything to represent their country 

Playing for your country should be the ultimate honour. It used to be anyway. As someone else rightly said....he would not have given Jamaica a second thought had Southgate been on the blower. That's not how it should be imo

No misinterpretation - rather it was me being very unclear in my explanation. That was my mistake there and I can see how patronising it sounds looking back. Apologies. 

What I'm meant to get at but failed was I - perhaps like you - know a lot of second generation immigrants to the UK. In my experience, the children of immigrants often have a strong sense of belonging to the place of their parent's upbringing (as well as Britain) because, within the four walls at home and in how the children are brought up, typically it is reminiscent of their second nationality. They usually speak the other language, know the culture, know the history and know even current affairs. Of course that could just be within my bubble and I miss the wider picture, but I can only speak as I find. That's why if Bobby's upbringing was similar, I'd strongly defend his right to feel both British and Jamaican. 

I can think of one guy in particular, born in Bristol to Italian parents and my god, if I needed a Princess saving or some plumbing done, I'd be phoning him. And were I to emigrate from the UK, my unborn Children would very much understand what it means to be British and would know all the Wurzel's songs... okay maybe not the last one (tin hat on). 

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

No misinterpretation - rather it was me being very unclear in my explanation. That was my mistake there and I can see how patronising it sounds looking back. Apologies. 

What I'm meant to get at but failed was I - perhaps like you - know a lot of second generation immigrants to the UK. In my experience, the children of immigrants often have a strong sense of belonging to the place of their parent's upbringing (as well as Britain) because, within the four walls at home and in how the children are brought up, typically it is reminiscent of their second nationality. They usually speak the other language, know the culture, know the history and know even current affairs. Of course that could just be within my bubble and I miss the wider picture, but I can only speak as I find. That's why if Bobby's upbringing was similar, I'd strongly defend his right to feel both British and Jamaican. 

I can think of one guy in particular, born in Bristol to Italian parents and my god, if I needed a Princess saving or some plumbing done, I'd be phoning him. And were I to emigrate from the UK, my unborn Children would very much understand what it means to be British and would know all the Wurzel's songs... okay maybe not the last one (tin hat on). 

Yeah can't argue with this. And I do get your point, one very well made. Have a fair few friends with Italian heritage and where as they are born and grew up in Britain, they still have been bought up Italian 

Archived