IGNORED

What Could Have Been...

Tomo

16 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I showed my 9 Year Old Son this video this morning. 

We both agreed that it would have looked amazing but glad we stayed at 'The Gate'

Exciting at the time. But what a backwater city we are when it comes to progressing. I’m glad we stayed at the gate . But BCC can **** off 

32 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Exciting at the time. But what a backwater city we are when it comes to progressing. I’m glad we stayed at the gate . But BCC can **** off 

The council were not the problem they gave us the go ahead eventually, it was those village people that stopped it and I don't mean the ymca, there seems to be this misconception that it was the council that was the problem and that was not the case.

33 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

God I'm glad we stayed and renovated AG. I forgot how bland that new proposed stadium looked! 

Just a shame we could not renovate the whole of ashton gate, personally I'm still disappointed we didn't move to ashton vale as it would have future proofed us with the ability to increase the capacity IF we ever got to the prem, we are a little constrained where we are with the houses behind the Atyeo stand.

17 minutes ago, pillred said:

The council were not the problem they gave us the go ahead eventually, it was those village people that stopped it and I don't mean the ymca, there seems to be this misconception that it was the council that was the problem and that was not the case.

Thanks for the clarification . 

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

Just a shame we could not renovate the whole of ashton gate, personally I'm still disappointed we didn't move to ashton vale as it would have future proofed us with the ability to increase the capacity IF we ever got to the prem, we are a little constrained where we are with the houses behind the Atyeo stand.

JL talks about In the OSIB podcast this week.  The dog walkers excuse really wasn’t a serious objection...but it somehow was the reason that stopped it.

55 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

God I'm glad we stayed and renovated AG. I forgot how bland that new proposed stadium looked! 

Let’s not kid ourselves here. Ashton Vale would have been a seriously impressive stadium, and not the ‘bland, identikit’ stadium many are talking about on here. BE00B664-E5A6-42FB-929E-24CA4FC851E6.thumb.jpeg.1bc7fdeb6998325e872743323371f1e1.jpeg7E6D8AAB-DA7B-44BD-82E8-1800A912934B.jpeg.81ac83bef974aedf3caffb2445023931.jpegE0C65FA1-9323-43F6-9526-5CED95E754FA.jpeg.bd367ffc9405b7d756e265c65b8afd0c.jpeg6C638429-DA26-480B-8565-1C1B5CFA2A7E.jpeg.a4dd2aa9379e81098d46366128608377.jpeg

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I would have loved the Ashton Vale stadium, but it would have entailed a longer walk to the Merchants Arms after the match. Therefore, overall, I’m glad we’re still at Ashton Gate. 

There was room to incorporate a moving walkway to ferry pedestrians to the Merchants Arms after the match without needing to walk at all. The same walkway would've moved in the opposite direction before the match to ferry punters at the Merchants to Ashton Vale. This was the main stumbling block which eventually caused the plan to be abandoned as the dog walkers in the area, once they heard of this proposed moving walkway, thought that it would encourage their dogs not to walk anymore.

I think if we had been awarded the World Cup the ground would have gone ahead no questions asked 

I think the same applies to Plymouth as well , there ground would have been vastly improved and one or 2 other grounds as well 

but it was not to be and all the plans were halted 

A lot of the images look very similar to what we've ended up with at AG to be fair. It's difficult to compare the two when a video made that long ago is compared to a completed build we've all experienced in person.

Personally I would have preferred a move to AV because of, as mentioned above, future-proofing. We don't have much more room to manoeuvre in the current location because of the surroundings and it could hold us back a little if we "get there".

Everyone talks about a stadium with "no soul" or whatever but no stadium was built with that in mind back in the day anyway, it becomes what the fans make it and I think we'd have been just fine a short distance up the road. 

I'm glad we're on the same site but I'd have preferred a complete rebuild from the ground up rather than the half and half job we have now. To me, something doesn't feel right about AG in it's current guise. It's like 3 different stadiums pieced together, with there being a distinct difference between Atyeo/Dolman/Rest. I know that appeals to some but for me it feels like mismatched bits stuck together and not quite making a whole.

31 minutes ago, TBW said:

A lot of the images look very similar to what we've ended up with at AG to be fair. It's difficult to compare the two when a video made that long ago is compared to a completed build we've all experienced in person.

Personally I would have preferred a move to AV because of, as mentioned above, future-proofing. We don't have much more room to manoeuvre in the current location because of the surroundings and it could hold us back a little if we "get there".

Everyone talks about a stadium with "no soul" or whatever but no stadium was built with that in mind back in the day anyway, it becomes what the fans make it and I think we'd have been just fine a short distance up the road. 

I thought that when I watched the video, the stand behind the goal is pretty much the South Stand.

If the Dolman ever does end up being redeveloped, then maybe the Gate will look even more like it.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

JL talks about In the OSIB podcast this week.  The dog walkers excuse really wasn’t a serious objection...but it somehow was the reason that stopped it.

If the stadium had landed as per the video we certainly wouldn't have had any more objections from the dog walkers!

7 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I thought that when I watched the video, the stand behind the goal is pretty much the South Stand.

If the Dolman ever does end up being redeveloped, then maybe the Gate will look even more like it.

When I was in one of the original meetings when the Ashton gate development plan were first released, we were told due to the way it was built the dolman only had around 20 years of service left in it. So imagine it will definitely happen at some point in the next 15 years now.

Archived