IGNORED

Missing Cat - Possible Sightings near Ashton Gate

T R

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

We never got our cat back who disappeared last summer. Not knowing what happened is worse in a way than if we found him dead.

I have massive sympathy for anyone whose pet is missing. They are very much part of your family.

Fingers crossed for the OP.

Quite agree. I've had 3 cats who've died, one being run over aged 3 in 1974. All of these occasions have been deeply upsetting. However, the cat that went missing in 1991 aged 2 (on the anniversary of the cat's death in 1974), I never seen again. I don't know if he died that day, or died of hunger weeks or months later, or if he found a new home and lived a happy and contented life for years thereafter. I still wonder to this day what happened to him. A week or so later in the Bristol Journal an article appeared stating that some gits were going around Bristol killing cats for their fur which was then sent to Germany, so I even have thoughts that his fate could have been associated with this.

One thing that has brought me some solace is that over the years, when I was with my ex, and now, we put food out for the foxes and hedgehogs at night and from time to time a stray cat would alight upon it and eventually befriend us. We reunited a few cats with their owners that way and took on three cats ourselves when we couldn't locate their owners and they had no chips etc. Where I am now, I've taken on a stray cat, Perseus, who kept hanging around the food I put out. So that's four. Having experienced this I like to think that my cat in 1991 fell upon a similar source of food and was taken on by caring souls.

9 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Quite agree. I've had 3 cats who've died, one being run over aged 3 in 1974. All of these occasions have been deeply upsetting. However, the cat that went missing in 1991 aged 2 (on the anniversary of the cat's death in 1974), I never seen again. I don't know if he died that day, or died of hunger weeks or months later, or if he found a new home and lived a happy and contented life for years thereafter. I still wonder to this day what happened to him. A week or so later in the Bristol Journal an article appeared stating that some gits were going around Bristol killing cats for their fur which was then sent to Germany, so I even have thoughts that his fate could have been associated with this.

One thing that has brought me some solace is that over the years, when I was with my ex, and now, we put food out for the foxes and hedgehogs at night and from time to time a stray cat would alight upon it and eventually befriend us. We reunited a few cats with their owners that way and took on three cats ourselves when we couldn't locate their owners and they had no chips etc. Where I am now, I've taken on a stray cat, Perseus, who kept hanging around the food I put out. So that's four. Having experienced this I like to think that my cat in 1991 fell upon a similar source of food and was taken on by caring souls.

Our missing one disappeared at about the time a bunch of rural inbreeds were illegally "lamping" for foxes and badgers in the woods behind our house, so I fear the worse. Hopefully his vanishing has nothing to do with those ****s - maybe he just jumped in the back of a van or flatbed and was transported further away than he knew to get back from. I don't mind the thought of him happy with new owners.

The two we have left are both strays. Neither chipped, but both obviously very used to domestic life. Some owners somewhere might be anguished about them, but they are having a happy, well-loved life with us

6 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Had another sighting on duckmoor road but it was not to be. I am pretty convinced now he is not in this area and they're just local cats.

I'd personally like to thank everyone on here for their kind comments and suggestions.

Could the mods please move this to non football chat now.

Thank you

Chin up mate. My aunt and uncles vat went missing for 2 years I kid you not but eventually turned up. Crazy I know!

One of my cats got locked in a neighbour's house for 2 weeks when they went on holiday. He was a bit thinner for the ordeal. But went tonnto live to 20 years old 

Fingers crossed he will come back from whatever adventure he's been on

My niece in Dublin had her cat go missing for over 3 weeks and were desperate to find him. One night out on patrol looking for him in an area just half a mile from their home he popped out of a garden and strolled up to them like nothing had happened! He was a bit thin and rough looking but happy enough to go home where a GPS collar awaited him...

He’s not gone missing since and the GPS collar allows them to track him and give them peace of mind he’s not to far away at anytime  

Sounds like he may be locked in a shed or similar so hopefully he’ll get released when the owners return after a few more days - don’t give up hope, as we all know cats are a law until themselves!

12 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

No I wouldn't consider myself a 'sensitive little chap' even though I lost my dad to cancer and someone else very close to me has terminal cancer.

I just think it's stupid how the person who made the original comment was offend by a joke taking the piss out the fact this is on a football forum but then brings a stupid comment in about cancer. 

I'm sorry for your loss. However you misunderstand. Cancer is just another disease, you live long enough you'll almost certainly get it but you'll die of something else. People who have it deal with it, as I'm sure your dad did. Joking about it generically or using it as a comparison is ok by me. What is not ok are people like Mr Peacock or Henry who belittle or see humour in other peoples suffering. Soulless amoebic *****.

On 07/09/2019 at 19:20, Henry said:

Not in other people’s garden.

You don't step in cat shit on the pavement though do you? because lazy owners can't be bothered to pick it up, as they are supposed to.  Cats cover up their doings, it's instinct against predictors and don't do it on the pavement or football pitches in parks! Here in Estonia cats are to be kept indoors by law, still some go missing though.

23 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Yes my cat will do anything for food. Been trying to keep his weight under control for years.
Also asked for it to be moved because some comments are not helpful. But I appreciate the backup and support you guys have provided.

I have exactly the same breed of cat as you, it  is called a Cream spotted British Shorthair and could be his twin. His name is SonnyJim and he also has a weight problem,  averages about 8 to 9 kilos, he is 11 years old and we have a problem with his left eye which keeps running, the vet is trying everything without much success, we have to give him eye drops twice a day and it seems to help. I really hope you find him soon, as I mentioned in another post, here in Estonia it is against the law to let your cat roam, it must be kept indoors, unless like a dog,  taken for a walk on a lead.

21 hours ago, TRL said:

Chin up mate. My aunt and uncles vat went missing for 2 years I kid you not but eventually turned up. Crazy I know!

One of my cats got locked in a neighbour's house for 2 weeks when they went on holiday. He was a bit thinner for the ordeal. But went tonnto live to 20 years old 

Fingers crossed he will come back from whatever adventure he's been on

Thanks for that mate was feeling pretty low yesterday. Posts like these are keeping me hold onto hope

4 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I have exactly the same breed of cat as you, it  is called a Cream spotted British Shorthair and could be his twin. His name is SonnyJim and he also has a weight problem,  averages about 8 to 9 kilos, he is 11 years old and we have a problem with his left eye which keeps running, the vet is trying everything without much success, we have to give him eye drops twice a day and it seems to help. I really hope you find him soon, as I mentioned in another post, here in Estonia it is against the law to let your cat roam, it must be kept indoors, unless like a dog,  taken for a walk on a lead.

Our cat is also 11 years. They could be lost twins or something!

We had a similar problem during the summer with high pollen counts. He kept having sneezing fits. Hope his eye gets better.

Hope that you find him soon.

Don't give up hope - saw this on our vet's FB page last week:

A rather heart warming story to end the working week ?

This is Coco, who was brought into the practice as a stray by a member of the public. After scanning him for a microchip, we were both surprised and delighted to be able to reunite him with his owner, after going missing  8 years ago!

The importance of microchipping really cannot be emphasised enough.

We wish Coco and his reunited family all the very best ?

My cat went missing for 11 days once. He got in a piss because I brought a new kitten home. Eventually got the sod back, just a few days before I moved house. Was getting worried about what I would do if I had to move before he came back. 

I take it you’ve phoned all the vets again? And the council number for street cleaning? Just in case they’ve had a cat found and didn’t scan for a chip? 

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

My cat went missing for 11 days once. He got in a piss because I brought a new kitten home. Eventually got the sod back, just a few days before I moved house. Was getting worried about what I would do if I had to move before he came back. 

I take it you’ve phoned all the vets again? And the council number for street cleaning? Just in case they’ve had a cat found and didn’t scan for a chip? 

I'm glad you got your cat back. its funny how they get grumpy, just like us humans.  Been in touch with the council twice so faar and will check again tomorrow.  The vets said they will put out an email to all their branches and we've informed the chip people who will email around.  We've been advised to go to the cat and dogs home to check there.  Many thanks for yours and everybody elses posts. 

On 07/09/2019 at 17:45, JBFC II said:

Weird question but have you moved house recently?

About 10 years ago we moved from wells to Westbury on Trym and within about a week the cat had gone missing. Looked for him everywhere and we had all but given up before getting a call from our old next door neighbours in wells to say he’d turned up on their doorstep!

Wow, your cat travelled around 24 miles back to your previous house?! He had a seriously good sense of direction - glad you found him safe and well ...

11 hours ago, marksy said:

No, there's nothing wrong with his bowels. I just look the other way and make out I'm unaware of what he's doing. 

Curious how you know there is nothing wrong with your dog's bowels when you openly say you look the other way?

I mean your dog is shitting solid gold bars and you're missing out on a fortune old chap.

Please check your Danny's turds regularly because he's informed me via pet telepathy that he's dropping his guts outside old Mrs Steele's because she's on a jolly in Barbados at the moment. He has plans for Mr Spencer's gate across the road. Mr Spencer is Tory AF and doesn't need the few bob. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow, your cat travelled around 24 miles back to your previous house?! He had a seriously good sense of direction - glad you found him safe and well ...

Yep it sounds totally ridiculous I know ?

We reckon he must have got in a car that ended up in wells and then found his way home from there...

10 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

I'm glad you got your cat back. its funny how they get grumpy, just like us humans. 

His story doesn’t have a happy ending. I only had him for another 4 months before he was sadly hit by a car on Christmas Eve a few years back, and died from his injuries. Just the two cats now :( 

Archived