IGNORED

How did we miss...

TBW

With him making the latest England squad, I noticed the below tweet earlier on and can't help wonder how did we miss out on Tyrone Mings right on our doorstep?

Not sure if this was common knowledge, but personally I had no idea he was playing that local to us and ultimately there was a £20m+ player there eventually. Just looked him up further too and seems he was briefly on the books at Bristol Rovers and they gave up too.

Did he just suddenly get good at some point? Seems strange he'd pass by all of us, Rovers, Cheltenham, Swindon, Forest Green, etc. and have to go to Yate and Chippenham before Ipswich took a punt for £10k.

Sorry if there's a lot on him already. Just seems a big miss and wondered if there's a story there that I haven't heard before.

He came through at Saints who obviously have a bigger pull in Bath due to their centre at the university.

At the time, I feel like we were pretty poor on recruitment of other academies drop outs, plus as he stated himself, he wasn't good enough then.

Just one of those things really. 

Read years ago an interview with I think it may have been mick Mccarthy not sure though, that they gambled on Mings because he was perfect athleticism wise but wasn't a great footballer but they thought they could coach him to the level. At his age most teams wouldn't take that gamble and already have an academy team full of players who could play to a standard by that age. 

29 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Sounds like there was a bit of luck involved for Ipswich in that he was recommended to them by one of his teammates. 

We can hardly expect to be able monitor every young player in the area, although it seems we may be a bit better at this than we used to be. 

He was recommended and taken to Ipswich by Russell Osman

Southampton are still at it in Bath, signing up talented youngsters for their academy.  My son’s team (which is particularly talented) have already lost one to Southampton, and Bristol Rovers have been sniffing round too, but no sign of City.  Maybe I should give someone at Ashton Gate a nudge, but I don’t want us to lose some of our best players.

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Southampton are still at it in Bath, signing up talented youngsters for their academy.  My son’s team (which is particularly talented) have already lost one to Southampton, and Bristol Rovers have been sniffing round too, but no sign of City.  Maybe I should give someone at Ashton Gate a nudge, but I don’t want us to lose some of our best players.

Chap I work with who lives in Combe Down has a 9 year old son at Southampton. He says he isn’t very good but it’s a numbers game. 

38 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Don't worry. If a top talent signs for Rovers, he's sure to have an affordable buyout clause!

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Been the way for decades. I don’t really know where city scout to be honest. Southampton seem to have a monopoly on bath and wilts. When I was in my teens WBA and brum would pull them in 

Even if we would of had Mings back in those early days, the chances are we would of lost him before he actually ‘made it’ here, it’s the way we were back then.

Now it would be a totally different story because of the way the club have progressed & is now run but back then he would of be poached from us.

I have a friend who played with him at youth level for Chippenham for many years. Apparently, Mings wasn't really a standout player in his youth. However, due to his physical attributes and athleticism, scouts and coaches thought they could coach the football side into him. He came into pro football relatively late, and that is partly why. 

Good to see him achieve what he's done though - especially considering the injury he had at Bournemouth.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Even if we would of had Mings back in those early days, the chances are we would of lost him before he actually ‘made it’ here, it’s the way we were back then.

Now it would be a totally different story because of the way the club have progressed & is now run but back then he would of be poached from us.

What about if we'd taken him from Chippenham instead of Ipswich though?

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Maybe city don’t think he is good enough or what they are looking for?

they are hardly going to go “we have had a look at your number 5 he isn’t what we are after”

20 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Maybe city don’t think he is good enough or what they are looking for?

they are hardly going to go “we have had a look at your number 5 he isn’t what we are after”

Maybe, but my point is that I’m involved in youth football week after week and I’ve never seen a City scout yet.  Southampton, Rovers, Weston and other local league clubs, but never City.  Just worried we could be missing out on some real talent.  I saw a kid playing for Mangotsfield yesterday who was the business.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Maybe, but my point is that I’m involved in youth football week after week and I’ve never seen a City scout yet.  Southampton, Rovers, Weston and other local league clubs, but never City.  Just worried we could be missing out on some real talent.  I saw a kid playing for Mangotsfield yesterday who was the business.

I've seen them at lots of games and development centres.

If there is someone worth looking at I expect they already have.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

When my lad was 9/10/11 years of age there was always City scouts at summer tournaments and even some of the league games on a sunday morning. Even seen Mr Tinnion many times at these things. He's 15 now and your right in you don't really see them about anymore or you dont at his age group anyway!! I guess when they get to his age the scouts have to be told about a certain lad.

Archived