Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Are You Geoff Twentyman?

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

He also asks decent questions in interviews, I recall him giving SL a grilling a few years back. 

‘But you own the club Steve’

I’ll always respect him for that interview and in particular that little moment. Seems an eternity ago now but he really represented us fans and was unafraid to ask tough questions in what was a dark time for the club. Can’t say I get where this meticulously-crafted vitriol comes from

Edited by Newquay-Red
  • Like 3

Boston - what’s your problem with GT?

He’s a former professional footballer and on retirement trained a sports journalist and now works for the BBC. 

As others have said, he’s a very fair and well balanced sports radio presenter - the best around imv.

What a strange thread - I think Geoff has really improved over the last 10 years or so. His broadcasting skill has really improved and he does a great job at being neutral and balanced despite his Rovers history.

It says a lot that seemingly most City fans are content with a former Rovers captain presenting local football - that's testament to how well he gives a balanced account that gives time and energy to both sides.

I really am puzzled about what's bought this thread on

• Like 10

Actually despite his past loyalties he gives a balanced and honest assessment. 

I particularly enjoyed the grillings he gave hammy and his Chelsea supporting boss AND the fact he refuses to take sides despite the desperate fewers wanting their needy love in  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like twentyman... He does a pretty good job considering his past loyalties. He also does not shirk way from asking awkward questions.

I get it he boils the OP's piss. At least he has got it off his chest. No harm in that.  I don't agree but fair enough.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TRL said:

I like twentyman... He does a pretty good job considering his past loyalties. He also does not shirk way from asking awkward questions.

I get it he boils the OP's piss. At least he has got it off his chest. No harm in that.  I don't agree but fair enough.

I agree. I do get the reading out texts thing though - why do it? It adds nothing to the programme. I can only imagine he`s told to do it to `engage wiv da yoof` or something.

16 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I agree. I do get the reading out texts thing though - why do it? It adds nothing to the programme. I can only imagine he`s told to do it to `engage wiv da yoof` or something.

Audience interaction I guess. I'd rather they just left it to the phone in though. Reading a text is on the whole pointless. And a waste of airtime that could be given over to some better media/interviewing work.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

I’ll always respect him for that interview and in particular that little moment. Seems an eternity ago now but he really represented us fans and was unafraid to ask tough questions in what was a dark time for the club. Can’t say I get where this meticulously-crafted vitriol comes from

That's the interview mate. 

I think it was during the record breaking losing run if memory serves. GT really pushed him, it got tense and then he landed that point.

Obviously things turned a corner but GT certainly got my respect from that interview.

• Like 4

GT is at his best talking football, talking to listeners who call in, and is very good interviewing managers chairmen and cutting through the BS .  The programme though - and t h at may be the RB management - has some dire time fillers that the OP has touched on. The frequent travel updates when there's no problems anywhere and the lad reads out a huge list of places as far away as Westbury Trowbridge Taunton that have zero issues. Similarly the repetitious reading out of texts pre match that all basically say " come on you Reds".  The commentaries are good (when you can't find a stream) ....Gary Owers is good, as is Durden...Richard Hoskin is dire though. 

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 2

I really like GT. He is a really smart guy who has lived in the area for years and knows his stuff. He certainly isn't anti - City in the least bit, and so what if he played for the Gas during those days.. Geoff Twentyman is an honourable Bristolian in my book.  Keep up the good work, Geoff.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 6
3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Great interview, bit much SL waiting until now to get back at him by pretending he’s from Boston and writing a quiz though? Come on Steve, the game’s up.

• Haha 2

I think GT does a good job on a limited budget...and has done for years. 

But the OP made me laugh...it's been the same show for an eternity. I particularly like the fact that, having travelled back to my car on the park and ride bus, I will always turn on just in time for an extended matey interview with the manager of an exceptionally obscure local side who've just put eight past their opponents...or some such.

At the same time BBC local radio stations such as Sheffield or Derby will be using well informed former players to forensically examine the tactics and performance of their local league sides. I'm afraid that Radio Bristol is all a bit amateur-night at times, but GT keeps the show on the road and has a nostalgic charm.

Edited by Red Exile