IGNORED

NFL Season 19/20

Super

Well Mike Vrabel tried to shake the tree but it wasn't enough to win at Arrowhead. Derrick Henry looked hot in the first half but the Chiefs' D adjusted well and stuffed the run effectively in the second. Mahomes' contribution included a teetering 27 yd run to paydirt. And the Chiefs are in their first Superbowl for yonks...

What is the point of the Pro Bowl? Basically no tackling, so why not just have a random skills show? Furthest QB throw, furthest field goal, highest catch for the WR’s, fastest RB etc because this Pro Bowl lark just seems like a reason to give a lot of players that weren’t good enough to make the SB a free holiday.

Sorry, just seems like a pointless game!

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

What is the point of the Pro Bowl? Basically no tackling, so why not just have a random skills show? Furthest QB throw, furthest field goal, highest catch for the WR’s, fastest RB etc because this Pro Bowl lark just seems like a reason to give a lot of players that weren’t good enough to make the SB a free holiday.

Sorry, just seems like a pointless game!

you mean like this??

10 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

you mean like this??

I would rather watch something like this for 3 hours than the Pro Bowl, in fact, I no longer watch the Pro Bowl as I consider it just a complete waste of time.

26 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

And of course they are dubious of playing a 17th game, probably wondering why they should play an extra game especially if their contracts don’t state they’ll get paid for it, I mean, playing for 4 or 5 months a year must be a real ball ache  when you see how their ridiculously well paid job interferes with their social lives! Right? ?

This argument about the Pro Bowl has rattled on for years. Clearly, any player who is deemed good enough to play in it will have performed at a top level over the previous season. But in a game where injuries - big and serious - are just a moment away you can understand the reticence to engage as fully as with a club team. No-one would ruin their career for the sake of this 'show-piece' game. Of course, the people who shell out to go to it will want to enjoy it and perhaps feel that they got their money's worth - given that it would not be as aggressive as normal. Thus we have a game that is, in concept, the finest but in reality is but a shadow.

11 hours ago, Erithacus said:

This argument about the Pro Bowl has rattled on for years. Clearly, any player who is deemed good enough to play in it will have performed at a top level over the previous season. But in a game where injuries - big and serious - are just a moment away you can understand the reticence to engage as fully as with a club team. No-one would ruin their career for the sake of this 'show-piece' game. Of course, the people who shell out to go to it will want to enjoy it and perhaps feel that they got their money's worth - given that it would not be as aggressive as normal. Thus we have a game that is, in concept, the finest but in reality is but a shadow.

If I’m honest, I just don’t understand the need for the game. What is the point of it?

If these players can only play for less than 6 months a year (that’s including training camps into their seasons), then why put this extra game into the schedule? The players obviously struggle to find time for a holiday in amongst their off season & bye week, so why do they put this extra game in?

At least the Charity Shield (or whatever it’s called now) is deemed to be a curtain raiser to our football season & while it never used to be played at 100% with full contact, that has changed somewhat now but the Pro Bowl just seems to be a reason for a group of random mates who are supposedly very good at their trade, to have a mess around together down the park but instead they charge people to come & watch them leisurely mess around.

Maybe I’m just becoming sceptical in my middle age but it feels like giving our footballers a winter break because they are tired & overused, only to allow them to fly to the other side of the world to take part in a winter break friendly in Australia against Barcelona because that’s really good for every member of the clubs rest & recovery!!

I would suggest that the Pro Bowl is the NFL's prime 'prawn sandwich' event in that a lot of people are invited to attend as part of some reward for their efforts - or just some junket that is dished out as a treat among the suits. Some dyed-in-the-wool fans also go, probably as part of a nice NFL package holiday. It is what it is, and what it isn't is competitive.

If you watch the Hard Knocks programmes you would appreciate just how tough (and risky) the training is. Many players sustain bad knocks and bruises this way without coming close to a match, and hence the threat of a serious injury is always present. Any chance to avoid one at this game is uppermost in the thoughts. But as for a trip Down Under for a bit of R&R, Tipps, I may well join you in the queue.  :sun:

5 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I would suggest that the Pro Bowl is the NFL's prime 'prawn sandwich' event in that a lot of people are invited to attend as part of some reward for their efforts - or just some junket that is dished out as a treat among the suits. Some dyed-in-the-wool fans also go, probably as part of a nice NFL package holiday. It is what it is, and what it isn't is competitive.

If you watch the Hard Knocks programmes you would appreciate just how tough (and risky) the training is. Many players sustain bad knocks and bruises this way without coming close to a match, and hence the threat of a serious injury is always present. Any chance to avoid one at this game is uppermost in the thoughts. But as for a trip Down Under for a bit of R&R, Tipps, I may well join you in the queue.  :sun:

But if they are worried about over exertion or injuries then just don’t play this waste of time game.
I watch Hard Knocks, I love that series, to see everything that goes on behind the scenes & into the process of training camp etc, I just wish we did something regularly like that here with our football.

I just can’t bring myself to watch that embarrassment to the sport.

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But if they are worried about over exertion or injuries then just don’t play this waste of time game.
I watch Hard Knocks, I love that series, to see everything that goes on behind the scenes & into the process of training camp etc, I just wish we did something regularly like that here with our football.

I just can’t bring myself to watch that embarrassment to the sport.

Love Hard Knocks and the characters, also think All or Nothing has got better, then tried to watch the Man City version but just found it terrible and cringey gave up after one episode.

Thanks to whoever recommended QB1 great series, now trying Last Chance U.

Anyone seen the Aaron Hernandez docu on Netflix I didn't really know the back story but its a pretty crazy story, 3 of the best hours of TV I've watched in a long time loads of twists and turns that's just episode 1!!

Well here we are once again. The culmination of twelve months of pain, pain and more pain (for those still playing at this point in the season) will result in the crowning of an old name with an older record.

The pizza is on, the telly turned up and it's time for the greatest show. And a game of American Football. Enjoy!  :yawn::chant6ez::winner_third_h4h:

Really intriguing first half. The much talked about Niners' D took on the Chiefs (Mahommes in particular) and struggled - at least initially. More of a point was the opposite situation where the KC Defense strangled their opponents. That was until San Fran hit the throttle later on and ran such a variety of rushing plays that they eventually got a lot of momentum going. Evens at the half and it's all set up for another classic. Oh, and the Half Time Show might also be a good one too.      :trumpet: :travolta::banana:

Archived