IGNORED

NFL Season 19/20

Super

This is getting silly

NFL side Washington have dropped their 'Redskins' name after a review prompted by pressure from the Native American community and team sponsors.

A statement from the franchise on Monday read: "Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

11 minutes ago, Super said:

This is getting silly

NFL side Washington have dropped their 'Redskins' name after a review prompted by pressure from the Native American community and team sponsors.

A statement from the franchise on Monday read: "Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

I and my family are lifelong Skins fans and this is obviously a big blow to us.  I understand the concept of why they want to change it, but really I just think their are bigger fish to fry if you will. Oh well it is what it is.

Yes, this topic has been grumbling along for a few years - just like our Colston. Only now does it seem to be the time that change will be brought about. I can see how diehard 'Skins fans are feeling unhappy about it, but maybe the new name will prove a good one. Another aspect might be some of the music played at the stadiums which might be stereotypical. Perhaps the real movers in all this are the sponsors, who will be keen to be on the customers' good side.

And how about the Kansas City Chiefs? Also thought about baseball's Atlanta Braves - will their names and logos be next to undergo a revolution?

Just now, Erithacus said:

Yes, this topic has been grumbling along for a few years - just like our Colston. Only now does it seem to be the time that change will be brought about. I can see how diehard 'Skins fans are feeling unhappy about it, but maybe the new name will prove a good one. Another aspect might be some of the music played at the stadiums which might be stereotypical. Perhaps the real movers in all this are the sponsors, who will be keen to be on the customers' good side.

And how about the Kansas City Chiefs? Also thought about baseball's Atlanta Braves - will their names and logos be next to undergo a revolution?

Yeah fair point and I as I said I understand the reasoning behind changing it, still just hurts but hopefully the new name will be one we can get behind.  I am actually a Braves fan as well, and for what I know they are not really thinking of changing their name, rather just change the 'Tomahawk Chop' thing that the fans do during games.

On 13/07/2020 at 22:58, Erithacus said:

I guess the Chiefs and Braves names don’t strictly refer to the colour of skin. 
I’m still not sure this is a necessary move, but hey ho. 

Anyway, since this thread has livened up again, what’s the news on the new season? Are things due to progress as normal? Have team training camps been going ahead? Will fans be at matches? Etc. What’s the news? 
I had an email the other day saying my Game Pass renews next month so I assume things are cracking on. 

I believe the teams are running as per usual with regard to training camps thus far, with approved restrictions and protocols. However, there is the real prospect of regular season games playing in empty stadiums, as we have over here. Fans are not going to be allowed in as it stands although it must be understood that the Covid situation in the USA is very much in a state of ferment. Who knows (in particular Mr Pres.) what the damage is going to be come August.

Incidentally, the NFL are about to include additional face shields applied to the cages as part of a package of methods that will hopefully reduce the risks of infection. And in other news, some dude has registered and trade-marked a load of names beginning with Washington. Free enterprise or 'where there's muck....'

Archived