IGNORED

U23 match at 1pm.

Judda

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It'll be a challenge for the likes of Adelakun and Bakinson to motivate themselves for this. They know that it'll take a ridiculous injury crisis for them to get near the first team, but will consider themselves to be above the level of football that they're being asked to play.

But that is exactly opposite to the way they should be thinking. This is the only game time they will get so they should be champing at the bit to impress and force their way into the first team squad. 

32 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It'll be a challenge for the likes of Adelakun and Bakinson to motivate themselves for this. They know that it'll take a ridiculous injury crisis for them to get near the first team, but will consider themselves to be above the level of football that they're being asked to play.

How about forcing LJ to notice how hard they’re trying to get closer to the first team ? 

Or what about just giving your best for your own pride ?

2 hours ago, BenSainsbury99 said:

Proud of my brother for playing for the 23's today, not often he gets many opportunities so hope he takes it!

Won't be surprised if majority at the game say "Oh he looks a bit small" ?

Have to say, his distribution is excellent. He didn’t really have a save to make today of any consequence, but did what he had to do. 

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How about forcing LJ to notice how hard they’re trying to get closer to the first team ? 

Or what about just giving your best for your own pride ?

Agreed. Football, like life in general, is often about opportunity. If you got an attitude that stinks ( not saying these players have btw) then it will be noticed and chances may not come your way. Often it’s not about being the best but being able to show willingness and what you can do. You got to be arsed to play in front of 20 people, then playing in front of 20,000 will come. 

Was impressed by Ricardo Rees who came on at half time and played on the right hand side.

Made some good touches, passes and interceptions when he came on. Wasn’t afraid to muck in defensively either and could see he was enjoying being coached through the second half by LJ.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

How Birmingham reported the game;

https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2019/report-bristol-city-under-23s-1-blues-under-23s-0/

Sounds a bit one-sided ?

This is ours, maybe somewhere between the two is the truth?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/semenyo-strike-seals-u23s-win-over-blues/

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

How Birmingham reported the game;

https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2019/report-bristol-city-under-23s-1-blues-under-23s-0/

Sounds a bit one-sided ?

Not how I saw it.  I felt City were mostly in control throughout without creating any clear-cut chances.  Only the younger pros were prepared to bust a gut though, and some of the older pros took it very easy indeed.  You really would have expected Palmer and Szmodics to create some openings, after all.  Lee, Jamie and Dean were watching and Lee spent the last quarter in the technical area, possibly out of frustration.  Adelakun is a very strange one - doesn’t seem interested at all.  How much did we pay for him?

I’ve never understood why fans say players will find it hard to motivate themselves. They are professional footballers!!! Something me and millions of others would love to have the privilege of being. If I got one training session with city I’d be everywhere, trying to earn another session. I wouldn’t stop until I couldn’t breathe. How can they be unmotivated?

7 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

I’ve never understood why fans say players will find it hard to motivate themselves. They are professional footballers!!! Something me and millions of others would love to have the privilege of being. If I got one training session with city I’d be everywhere, trying to earn another session. I wouldn’t stop until I couldn’t breathe. How can they be unmotivated?

You think that...but most footballers come from working class backgrounds. Then...generalising.. all of a sudden they make it as a footballer.

They get in the bubble...they have a kid ask for an autograph, and they think they are something else. They talk to colleagues in the bubble...players, agents etc...all of a sudden it becomes the norm...a job. They forget about their time on the building site etc.

Fans, recognition...seriously...think about it... you're 20 and you play for Bristol City in whatever level, paid to play football, and people stare at you and ask for autographs and the local post mention you. Then you Google your name..

Remember you're 20...no hindsight.

You think you're the dog's bollox...local girls want you...lads wanna be you...yet you still haven't done anything. Famous by proxy...kinnel ...my mate pulled birds for fun having had a trial for City and Forest at 17. It's that shallow and simple.

Unfortunately more talented footballers of a young age fall through the net because if this attitude than not.

You can only imagine their thoughts after experience, hindsight and age when looking back.

I always look at Tommy Doc and David Noble and think to myself how different it could have been for them.

However...they might just love being who they are... not what we as fans expected, or hoped they'd be.

10 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Because they are human and everybody is different. Fans think they would give their all but in general we didn't to even get to the first ladder of where these young men are. At each level the commitment needed is greater. Football and fans often want humans to be robots, we are not. 

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Because they are human and everybody is different. Fans think they would give their all but in general we didn't to even get to the first ladder of where these young men are. At each level the commitment needed is greater. Football and fans often want humans to be robots, we are not. 

Fans are motivated to play for amateur teams for no reward on sloping, rutted pitches on a bitterly cold Sunday morning and give it everything due to love of the game, competitive spirit, and a determination not to let down their team mates and their club.

Please stop making excuses for highly paid professionals who choose not to do the same - there are none imo.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fans are motivated to play for amateur teams for no reward on sloping, rutted pitches on a bitterly cold Sunday morning and give it everything due to love of the game, competitive spirit, and a determination not to let down their team mates and their club.

Please stop making excuses for highly paid professionals who choose not to do the same - there are none imo.

I would think there is a difference to having a kickabout with your mates for fun and the expectation levels and demands put upon a professional player by his club, team mates and supporters.

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Adelakun is a very strange one - doesn’t seem interested at all.  How much did we pay for him?

You wonder about due diligence during the process??...I sure do.

Maybe another engvall,,,, a tad immature yet too sure of himself if that makes sense....not getting what he wanted as quickly as he wished and moping rather than bust a gut..............I'm sure the staff will continue to help him but ultimately sometimes its as simple as personality.....

Be nice to be wrong,,,won't be holding me breath.

3 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

You wonder about due diligence during the process??...I sure do.

Maybe another engvall,,,, a tad immature yet too sure of himself if that makes sense....not getting what he wanted as quickly as he wished and moping rather than bust a gut..............I'm sure the staff will continue to help him but ultimately sometimes its as simple as personality.....

Be nice to be wrong,,,won't be holding me breath.

Oh come on. Everything we see and read about the signings for this club show they do a great deal of "due diligence". It's not a foolproof system though, things change in players private lives or something happens to affect their attitude, perhaps because they loss confidence in their ability to reach the level required. Every employer in the country no matter the walk of life will tell you about the person who seemed a perfect fit, only to show a different side to them once employed. 

In the most part, even those who have left have gone on to do well at the footballing level they have reached, so the club has had huge successes with recruitment, and it seems churlish to dwell on the small percentage of failures.

30 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My experience of dropping down to Sunday football was players did not and it was the reason they were there. 

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

My experience of dropping down to Sunday football was players did not and it was the reason they were there. 

I guess it depends which way they are going in ability

Those "dropping down" are maybe doing it for a laugh, but from running a Sunday morning side there were plenty that played like they were representing a top side as it meant so much to them to be playing the game 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Christ when I played I had to pay my bloody subs for the privilege! The £3 or whatever it was to play down by the Sea Walls on the Downs in the middle of winter was worth every penny though! 

Archived