IGNORED

U23 match at 1pm.

Judda

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

I guess it depends which way they are going in ability

Those "dropping down" are maybe doing it for a laugh, but from running a Sunday morning side there were plenty that played like they were representing a top side as it meant so much to them to be playing the game 

It was an observation of Sunday league players from dropping down. 

The average Sunday league player does not play higher because they have not wanted to. Very few people really want to be professional football players. Its a rare species that really do and attempt it. Most simply do not have the mindset to pursue that goal sincerely. 

Football at anything above about Tier 9 is a cut throat business. If you show enough you get given a chance, if you don’t take it then you’re out. There are plenty out there willing to take your place, simple as that. To even become a pro in the first place you have to have a certain confidence and mentality.

But even these pro’s find their level eventually and it’s like anything, if you know you are struggling and you have tried to turn it around and simply can’t then in time your motivation goes down.

The problem is how many young pro’s have the balls to go into the Managers Office and admit they can’t cut it? Most of them have an over inflated idea of their worth as it is (not to mention an agent in their ear). So over time it’s the motivation that goes.

Yes, those of us who played relatively modest levels of football would go into a pro club, be keen as mustard and run round like lunatics to start with but after a year of realising we’re not up to it would we still be doing it?

Perhaps they've tried their hardest to impress the manager on many occasions, and then still not been given a chance. 

Perhaps they've been told already that they have no chance of getting into the side, and have been trying to get a move throughout the summer but for whatever reason it hasn't come to fruition. 

Perhaps they are just a lazy bastard & can't be bothered to put in the required effort so won't get their chance regardless. 

Thing is, you never know what's gone on before to make a player seem unmotivated. 

Anyone who saw Adelakun for Scunthorpe in the play-offs the season before we signed him would’ve been excited.

He was highly rated and for whatever reason, it hasn’t worked out so far. Whatever the reason though, it’s no excuse for downing tools. Even if he wants out, no one’s going to be clamouring to sign him if he can’t do it in an U23 game.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It was an observation of Sunday league players from dropping down. 

The average Sunday league player does not play higher because they have not wanted to. Very few people really want to be professional football players. Its a rare species that really do and attempt it. Most simply do not have the mindset to pursue that goal sincerely. 

From my experience Sunday League players are just average blokes that like a pint and a kick around with mates. Most would never have had the ability to play professionally even if they tried.

Lads who play for Saturday teams are generally better quality...and some have given it a go to become Professional.

They just aren't good enough...and some are good enough but slip through the net.

56 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Perhaps they've tried their hardest to impress the manager on many occasions, and then still not been given a chance. 

Perhaps they've been told already that they have no chance of getting into the side, and have been trying to get a move throughout the summer but for whatever reason it hasn't come to fruition. 

Perhaps they are just a lazy bastard & can't be bothered to put in the required effort so won't get their chance regardless. 

Thing is, you never know what's gone on before to make a player seem unmotivated. 

All I know is that if a player is not ‘ showing ‘ in U23s or other matches he isn’t 

a) going to force his way into the coach’s plans or

b) impress any other possible club who may be scouting him .

It is imperative for them to fight for their own careers and prove their current coach wrong .

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

All I know is that if a player is not ‘ showing ‘ in U23s or other matches he isn’t 

It is imperative for them to fight for their own careers and prove their current coach wrong .

True but some of these lads have “mates” who will always sign them on. Not the best example because he WAS a good keeper but nevertheless Paddy Kenny could always rely on Colin to give him a job. There are also a few coaches out there who ignore evidence because their ego says “I can get this lad back to where he was”. So some of these under performers do manage to exist on a rather large amount of borrowed time!!!

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Once Adelakun leaves City at the end of his contract, a load of League One clubs will be fighting for his signature, especially on a free. They would've seen from previous seasons he's a good player at the level & he'll still only be 25/26. 

It's a waste in terms of the years he may have spent here not playing, but he'll have made a wage far higher than what he was on at Scunthorpe & still have plenty of years ahead of him. 

2 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

The extra two and half inches makes all the difference...

I meant to mention that Ray Cashley who played in the top flight with City was 5ft 9ins I seem to recall although his height not given on Wikipedia.

But I did notice that Fatty Wedlock our legendary Centre Half was only 5ft 5ins.

Not unusual in Wedlock's day. He'd not stand out as short.

I have a souvenir napkin from City's cup final appearance and it lists the player's names, height and weight.

Lee J would be among the bigger lads in that squad.

Archived