IGNORED

Gareth Southgate will you just shut your mouth

Never to the dark side

So the manager is saying we are playing weak teams in the run up to Europe 2020.

I don't care if we are playing weak teams.

What does he want the likes of Germany/Spain/Portugal/france in our group qualifiers?.

We are in the 5th to 10th  placing in the FIFA rankings and I can't see this ever changing

So IF we were in a group with any of the above four teams and got knocked in the qualifiers

what would he say then?

We tried our best etc

I can't ever see my England ever winning a World cup or Euro in my lifetime,

thankfully I saw the 1966 World cup win.

England are NOT a top class wotld cup side

We conked out in 1974/1978/1994 and 2008

50 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I say put us in a group with Germany, Spain, Portugal and France then we can knock them out in the qualifiers and then enter the tournament with a chance of winning the thing as the big four won't be there! 

Belgium, Croatia and Italy might still be there, though. So we'd have no chance!

Very untypical post from you NTTDS!!  No references to train time tables or road closures!!

It's true what he says, but that's been a issue for all the major tournaments, and as you rightly say every team faces the same.  (It's even worse for the host nation that has no competitive games).

Unlike you I feel England does stand a chance of winning something.  Defensively they were poor last night obviously, but still a great pool of talented players to draw on.

I'm a Republic of Ireland supporter (though wish England well apart from when we play).   Ireland really has a dirth of talent right now, so much so that Declan Rice's decision to play for England over Ireland was treated as some sort of national tragedy/outrage.  

England have a plethora of young talent coming through.  Consider yourself very lucky and enjoy what you have.   

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I say put us in a group with Germany, Spain, Portugal and France then we can knock them out in the qualifiers and then enter the tournament with a chance of winning the thing as the big four won't be there! 

Sounds like the Nations League. We knocked out Spain and Croatia!

But then lost to another good side in the finals. They’re never ending!!

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

So the manager is saying we are playing weak teams in the run up to Europe 2020.

What does he want the likes of Germany/Spain/Portugal/france in our group qualifiers?.

We are in the 5th to 10th  placing in the FIFA rankings and I can't see this ever changing

So IF we were in a group with any of the above four teams and got knocked in the qualifiers

what would he say then?

We tried our best etc

Look at the front four. We have Kane and Sterling - coming to the apex of their careers where for the next 5-6 years they have the right blend of youth, experience and their bodies will be at the right conditioning (ages 30-31 at the end of that period).

We then have Rashford, Sancho, Maddison and others (Foden, Rice etc) who will then be in the 24-27 age bracket bringing that youthful endeavour (plus experience, think Sterling right now).

When you look at it, we have probably a more shiny 'golden generation' than the last one that came through under Sven whereby the squad should have impeccable balance.

It is easy to stick your neck out and say who will not win a tournament internationally as we have one every 2 years and probably 8 sides with a realistic chance of success. But to say you can't look at Euro 2024 in Germany with our best players still young enough to be physically still in their prime with more experience, and those youthful players in the wings now 4 years more developed (and around the 25 year old mark) and not see us being in with a very big shout, I find utterly ridiculous. 

39 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Look at the front four. We have Kane and Sterling - coming to the apex of their careers where for the next 5-6 years they have the right blend of youth, experience and their bodies will be at the right conditioning (ages 30-31 at the end of that period).

We then have Rashford, Sancho, Maddison and others (Foden, Rice etc) who will then be in the 24-27 age bracket bringing that youthful endeavour (plus experience, think Sterling right now).

When you look at it, we have probably a more shiny 'golden generation' than the last one that came through under Sven whereby the squad should have impeccable balance.

It is easy to stick your neck out and say who will not win a tournament internationally as we have one every 2 years and probably 8 sides with a realistic chance of success. But to say you can't look at Euro 2024 in Germany with our best players still young enough to be physically still in their prime with more experience, and those youthful players in the wings now 4 years more developed (and around the 25 year old mark) and not see us being in with a very big shout, I find utterly ridiculous. 

Issue is the defence.

Unless we line up with a back four of Dasilva/Kelly/Moore/Vyner and Bentley in goal we'll be screwed.

Potentially going forward we have a lot of talent,  and with sancho hudson odoi and especially foden still to come in. I would suggest that at the moment Alexander-Arnold must be looked at as one of the best right backs around, and I personally think maguire is an excellent defender. Then it all goes down hill a bit. Henderson isnt a great footballer, we are struggling at left back and centre back, and neither rice or barkley would compare to some of the top international midfielders around. It does appear though that english clubs are flying high in europe and developing young english players who are also now starting to play abroad a bit more, so the future looks quite rosy to me.

6 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

what would he say then?

We tried our best etc

Currently 4th in the FIFA world rankings. 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Issue is the defence.

Unless we line up with a back four of Dasilva/Kelly/Moore/Vyner and Bentley in goal we'll be screwed.

I don't think so. Again I think there is the talent coming through at the back and we need an understanding this is in 5 years time. Agree that Euro 2020 probably comes too soon to be setting a high bar for minimum expectations. After that we have to be expecting to be ready to be challenging. 

I would instead say our issue is - like we had last time - forging the undoubted talent in to a functioning team. It might mean that players like Dele Alli are unlucky and they can't find a spot. We don't want to have a Lampard/Gerrard incompatable issue again. 

I think we need to stick to 4-2-3-1 and get the right individuals playing in that formation. 

12 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Don't worry about the  big for (whatever that is) Holland? Belgium? Italy?

we can still loose to Croatia or Iceland remember!

Archived