IGNORED

Female Sports Presenters

Bristol Rob

27 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

They are on one at the moment.

Apparently 'female' pundits have no place in the modern game as they haven't played to the same standard, yet they are all quite happy to point out what Cockman is doing wrong tactically (they must all have played League One).

If there was ever a more shining example of #gaslogic I`ve yet to hear it.

I have no issue per se with women in Sport commentating or in the studio analysing, BUT it does seem to be now that they are being shoe horned into the role to make up some sort of number target. Gower has got the poke from the Cricket and I think a women is taking over from him as well, again I have no issue that a women is being on there but is she going to bring more to the table than table than Gower?

Sorry for the slightly off topic!!

What standard did Mourinho play at as I forget now........Brendan Rogers, Houllier, Hodgson??

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

I have no issue per se with women in Sport commentating or in the studio analysing, BUT it does seem to be now that they are being shoe horned into the role to make up some sort of number target. Gower has got the poke from the Cricket and I think a women is taking over from him as well, again I have no issue that a women is being on there but is she going to bring more to the table than table than Gower?

What standard did Mourinho play at as I forget now........Brendan Rogers, Houllier, Hodgson??

Add Wenger and Graham Taylor to the list as well.

Whilst some of us like complicated in depth analysis, a lot of arm chair fans don't care that much and a communicator who is able to provide clear insight is likely to be as valuable to them as someone who has played at a higher standard.

Either way, Rovers are pants.

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

TBF David Gower is now Radio 4`s main sports correspondent so he may have wanted the move, who knows?

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

TBF David Gower is now Radio 4`s main sports correspondent so he may have wanted the move, who knows?

He said he hadn't had his contract renewed due to his face not fitting, he never wanted to leave:

How did the beginning of the end of this phase of his life come about?

'It's that dreaded start to a sentence: 'We think you're doing a great job, but…' That, of course, leads to where we are now.'

Can he say how the sentence finished? 'Not really. The gist of it is they want to move on and change style.'

In what way? 'Have to ask them.'

Essentially, Gower believes his face no longer fits, although he takes issue with the premise.

'I'm aware that our demographic for Sky cricket is kind of my demographic. Their research proves that. The main part of our watching public for Test matches is of a certain age and probably white males. So it's a shame I can't keep appealing to them and keep them happy.'

Which brings us to the trend towards greater diversity in cricket broadcasting.

'It's an interesting one,' he says. 'In the same way as the men, people who come into the commentary box, some find it easier, some find it harder. They all work very hard.

14 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Closer to home, Gary Johnson.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Michelle Owen or Hollowhead? you decide 

42 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Michelle Owen or Hollowhead? you decide 

I don't think anyone would disagree with that tbh. Michelle is very good and knowledgeable so not many will have a problem with her whatsoever (apart from a few sags).

But it seems to me the Producers of many programmes seem to think they have to have a quota of women as that is what everyone wants (whereas I don't think that is true). Step forward Alex Scott - is it possible for her to be on anything else at all? As soon as I see her on I either mute it or turn over. It is just overkill - although her or Hollowhead/Keith Andrews and I would choose her!

4 hours ago, wood_red said:

As long as women are home in good time to cook the old man's tea and some light housework, I've no problem with them having an opinion about the football 

• Admin
3 hours ago, wood_red said:

I don't think anyone would disagree with that tbh. Michelle is very good and knowledgeable so not many will have a problem with her whatsoever (apart from a few sags).

But it seems to me the Producers of many programmes seem to think they have to have a quota of women as that is what everyone wants (whereas I don't think that is true). Step forward Alex Scott - is it possible for her to be on anything else at all? As soon as I see her on I either mute it or turn over. It is just overkill - although her or Hollowhead/Keith Andrews and I would choose her!

It’s certainly noticeable how the quota has had to be made, some of the women are OK as commentators or pundits, but some of them, as with the men, are useless.  I spend a fair bit of time listening to the radio, not being one for sitting in front of the telly and I now have to turn off when Vicki Sparks Is commentating on R5, she over emphasises far too many words and phrases whilst commentating and gets to the point of being screechy, she doesn’t do this in normal conversation or interviews, so no idea why she does it in commentary,

4 hours ago, wood_red said:

Personally I think the more we see of Alex Scott the better it is ???

10 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s certainly noticeable how the quota has had to be made, some of the women are OK as commentators or pundits, but some of them, as with the men, are useless.  I spend a fair bit of time listening to the radio, not being one for sitting in front of the telly and I now have to turn off when Vicki Sparks Is commentating on R5, she over emphasises far too many words and phrases whilst commentating and gets to the point of being screechy, she doesn’t do this in normal conversation or interviews, so no idea why she does it in commentary,

A few weeks back on the EFL show the female commentator gave a new slant on the old "denied by the post etc" rubbish, by informing us that a goal had been "denied by the side netting" 

11 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Sounds like the female version of John Motion then.

1 hour ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

A few weeks back on the EFL show the female commentator gave a new slant on the old "denied by the post etc" rubbish, by informing us that a goal had been "denied by the side netting" 

Which of course is incorrect, as the ball would be out of play before it hit the side netting.

3 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

I've heard many male commentators say things that are equally (or more) idiotic than that.

It's a stupid thing for her to say (and she may in fact be an awful commentator) but it has absolutely nothing to do with her gender! 

4 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

We’ve had top flight refs giving goals that’s gone 3 yards wide of the post, I can forgive the above

Archived