IGNORED

Team for Stoke

old_eastender

10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

From what I've read does not sound like Nagy fully fit and Afobe can't play, so...

Bentley

Hunt, Moore, Baker, Rowe

Massengo, Brownhill, Eliasson, Palmer

Fammy, Wiemann

That’s about right I reckon.

LJ might start Semenyo ahead of Famara ........:dunno:

I can see LJ going with this, but with obviously Palmer on the left and Eliasson on the right.

I'd still like to see us revert to a back 3 though if possible, Boro cut through us a number of times with the back 4 before the international break. Albeit I think we could all see they are a good side, that have had a bit of a slow start, they've got a lot of players that can hurt you. However, we just look that extra bit solid with a back 3, but this obviously does depend on whether LJ thinks Williams is ready for a starting spot.

Bentley

Moore                  Williams                  Baker                   

Hunt                       Massengo                 Brownhill                    Rowe

Palmer

Weimann                   Diedhiou 

Playing 3 at the back also allows us to get Palmer in his best position IMO.

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

From what I've read does not sound like Nagy fully fit and Afobe can't play, so...

Bentley

Hunt, Moore, Baker, Rowe

Massengo, Brownhill, Eliasson, Palmer

Fammy, Wiemann

With a fit Nagy and an eligible Afobe I'd be really confident. I agree with your line up, but it'll be a close game I think. Can Massengo do it on a mild Saturday in Stoke...?

It's hard to pick the team right now.

4-4-2 means having Palmer out wide unless you drop him for O'Dowda

Bentley

Hunt Moore Baker Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Massengo Palmer

Weimann Diedihou

3-5-2 means no Eliasson

Bentley

Moore Williams Baker

Hunt Brownhill Massengo Rowe

Palmer

Weimann Diedhiou

Perhaps to get our best players all on the field in their proper positions right now it's 4-4-1-1?

Bentley

Hunt Moore Baker Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Massengo O'Dowda

Palmer 

Weimann

I actually prefer Pereira over Hunt, but I think LJ will pick Hunt because of the too much inexperience comments.

29 minutes ago, Prinny said:

It's hard to pick the team right now.

4-4-2 means having Palmer out wide unless you drop him for O'Dowda

Bentley

Hunt Moore Baker Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Massengo Palmer

Weimann Diedihou

3-5-2 means no Eliasson

Bentley

Moore Williams Baker

Hunt Brownhill Massengo Rowe

Palmer

Weimann Diedhiou

Perhaps to get our best players all on the field in their proper positions right now it's 4-4-1-1?

Bentley

Hunt Moore Baker Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Massengo O'Dowda

Palmer 

Weimann

I actually prefer Pereira over Hunt, but I think LJ will pick Hunt because of the too much inexperience comments.

I would of agreed before i saw Pereira in the under 21 game , he was so woeful defensively! Makes me think he needs more time to adapt to this league . 

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Am I the only person who thinks that Massengo isn’t ready for the first team?

IMO he is definitely ready for being involved in the first team. But not to start every game. Pretty sure he wouldn’t of started as many games if the injuries didn’t occur. But for such an inexperienced player he has more than stepped up and our results back that up. 

Bit of a strange one but I wonder if this would work:

Bentley

Moore  Williams  Baker

Hunt.  Brownhill Massengo  O'Dowda 

Palmer 

Eliasson

Weimann 

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Am I the only person who thinks that Massengo isn’t ready for the first team?

Possibly! ?

I think we just need to be mindful of the fact that he played 3.5 league games in a short space of time since arriving, in a very physical league.  There have been more than enough positive things from him whether he’s 18 or 28, or 3 games into his time here or 103.  He’s more than held his own, but I did think Boro stamped on him and he was also a little fatigued as the game went on.  International break at the right time....and hopefully not extended too much by France u19s in that period.

Think Nagy will be another week away, and I wouldn’t rush him either.

I get that Eliasson was good v Boro, but I think the 5212 with Ashley Williams coming in to help guide Taylor Moore through would be what I’d do.  Get that central core nice and compact again....3 CBs shielded by 2 CMs.

Moore_______Williams_______Baker

_____Brownhill_____Massengo_____

And means we can keep Palmer central.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly! ?

I think we just need to be mindful of the fact that he played 3.5 league games in a short space of time since arriving, in a very physical league.  There have been more than enough positive things from him whether he’s 18 or 28, or 3 games into his time here or 103.  He’s more than held his own, but I did think Boro stamped on him and he was also a little fatigued as the game went on.  International break at the right time....and hopefully not extended too much by France u19s in that period.

Think Nagy will be another week away, and I wouldn’t rush him either.

I get that Eliasson was good v Boro, but I think the 5212 with Ashley Williams coming in to help guide Taylor Moore through would be what I’d do.  Get that central core nice and compact again....3 CBs shielded by 2 CMs.

Moore_______Williams_______Baker

_____Brownhill_____Massengo_____

And means we can keep Palmer central.

Williams has to play , will certainly have a point to prove.

If Massengo needs a break could look at O’Dowda central alongside Brownhill 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Massengo looked fantastic to me against Boro. Not sure why he needs to be dropped or rested?

Offered nothing except winning 5 fouls. Didn't have 1 interception, clearance or tackle, and it was the same story going forward.

I feel like we watched two very different games. It was clear that he was the most talented on the pitch and had the most potential, but breaking it down he actually offered very little. 

Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer for me with Massengo to come on late for his superb ball retention skills. 

7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Offered nothing except winning 5 fouls. Didn't have 1 interception, clearance or tackle, and it was the same story going forward.

I feel like we watched two very different games. It was clear that he was the most talented on the pitch and had the most potential, but breaking it down he actually offered very little. 

Nagy, Brownhill and Palmer for me with Massengo to come on late for his superb ball retention skills. 

I thought he was much quieter v Boro too.  Wasn’t bad, but nowhere near as good as Derby or Hull (Derby especially).  But I think it was a funny game too, where neither midfield controlled the game....the game seemed to be played in each team’s final third, whereas most games seem to be played out in the middle third.

Teams will do their homework on both Massengo and Nagy, but (early days I know) I think both have football intelligence to know how to get around this.

On the Hull game, Massengo was pressed from minute one and rushed a bit.  By the second half he just sucked players in and played first time or let his teammates bypass him.  There was one bit in second half where someone played a firm pass.  You could see 3 players ready to pounce, even on a good touch....instead, Massengo just dummied the ball, leaving them looking a bit stupid.

We do have to allow players off-games or at least less effective games.  The “he’s a 7/10 every week” is unrealistic.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Thought he was sharp onto the opposition every time they had it. Was noticeably poorer when he went off injured and we lost the midfield battle.

Archived