IGNORED

Team for Stoke

old_eastender

22 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

A fair analysis. However, who would you replace or would you leave Nagy on the bench even if he is fit? 

We then have genuine rotation / rest options, with formation options too.  Long old season and we aren’t getting much luck with injuries.  

I'd like to see (fitness permitting);

Bentley

Moore   Williams   Baker

Hunt   Brownhill   Nagy   Rowe

Palmer

Weimann     Semenyo

Massengo if Nagy not fit.

Seen enough of Diedhiou, time to give Semenyo a run out.

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I'd like to see (fitness permitting);

Bentley

Moore   Williams   Baker

Palmer

Weimann     Semenyo

Massengo if Nagy not fit.

Seen enough of Diedhiou, time to give Semenyo a run out.

I just wonder with Szmodics playing in the u23s with Palmer on Monday and Macca referring to him yesterday in the pre-match presser, whether we might see a 2 behind Weimann (5221) at some point?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I just wonder with Szmodics playing in the u23s with Palmer on Monday and Macca referring to him yesterday in the pre-match presser, whether we might see a 2 behind Weimann (5221) at some point?

I picked up on that as well but couldn't see how he would fit him in as I don't see him as a striker, but you may have cracked it there.

Bentley

Moore   Williams   Baker

Palmer Szmodics

Weimann

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I did read in somebody’s report (think McGregor) that LJ wanted to see how they would link up. But apparently they didn’t really click together at all. So would be surprised to see them both being given the green light tomorrow if they didn’t look up to much playing together in an U23 game. 

I think Williams will start this one.  And O'Dowda should be in the team, now he's signed his new deal it's time to see if he can become a quality, hard-working first teamer.

I'd leave Elliason on the bench for tomorrow.  He would be lovely to bring on with 15 mins left and see him whip in some of his quality crosses.

I'm looking forward to seeing who LJ plays in his attack.

Pace, power and pressing should disrupt a shaky Stoke defence. Of all the permutations offered up in this thread I like this the most. It has a tidy and subtly powerful midfield pairing and lethal pace and trickery on both flanks. Massengo, Brownhill, Weimann and the back four all have the required workrate and Palmer can provide some power in the middle. 

My only change might be to bench Palmer for Diedhiou/Semenyo - with a view to really pressing their CBs in the first half, really trying to force an error and get Butland under some early pressure from a defence that is prone to errors.

On 12/09/2019 at 06:19, Prinny said:

Perhaps to get our best players all on the field in their proper positions right now it's 4-4-1-1?

Bentley

Hunt Moore Baker Rowe

Eliasson Brownhill Massengo O'Dowda

Palmer 

Weimann

5 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Now yous'e gone and spoiled it....?

Yes. Yes I know.

Trouble is I think a number of formations and player combinations will work against Stoke. Not to underestimate them but genuinely I think there are a few ways to get at them. Diedhiou as a battering ram with COD and Eliasson sending balls into the box and Weimann buzzing around is one option. Another is Palmer as a ten behind one or two strikers. Another again that I think I saw someone suggest was playing O'Dowda, Weimann and Eliasson as a budget Salah, Mane and Firmino in a 433. 

In the end I expect LJ sill surprise us all tomorrow.

20 hours ago, marcofisher said:

A fair analysis. However, who would you replace or would you leave Nagy on the bench even if he is fit? 

That's a very difficult one. Im even struggling to pick a team when Nagy is unavailable with the Eliasson and Palmer problem or should I say 'good problem to have'. I still have not seen enough of Nagy or Massengo to tell really.

I really liked Massengo more advanced when he was getting in the box when he came on for injured Nagy. He seemed more like a Gerrard, Lampard or Alli type of midfielder who makes well timed runs into the box, rather than Palmer type who has a completely different skill set. 

He wasn't actually more advanced in that 45 minutes in his role. He was mainly very disciplined. But he seemed very dangerous going forward the few times he went for it.

It really is amazing how strong we are now that we are debating about do we pick Massengo or how to play Eliasson - as I predict going back to 352 tomorrow.

At least we know we will have at least a couple of top quality subs to come on.

On 12/09/2019 at 12:47, miketh2nd said:

Bentley 

Hunt    moore   williams baker    Rowe

Eliasson messengo    Brownhill

Palmer 

Weimann

Not bad, but I'd have Bentley more central 

:laugh:

There is an argument if Diedhiou starts then Palmer is not the ideal player to play behind him. Last season it never looked good. I know Weimann will be up there with Fam, which might make all the difference. But Fam needs runners, which Palmer isn't. 

Could we for this one game without Afobe play Massengo more advanced? In behind Fam and Weimann in a 352. Nagy and Brownhill holding. Get runners into the box whilst Fam occupies defenders. 

But then we have the problem of the exceptional Eliasson not starting. It's so hard to pick a team right now.

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There is an argument if Diedhiou starts then Palmer is not the ideal player to play behind him. Last season it never looked good. I know Weimann will be up there with Fam, which might make all the difference. But Fam needs runners, which Palmer isn't. 

Could we for this one game without Afobe play Massengo more advanced? In behind Fam and Weimann in a 352. Nagy and Brownhill holding. Get runners into the box whilst Fam occupies defenders. 

But then we have the problem of the exceptional Eliasson not starting. It's so hard to pick a team right now.

This was possibly why LJ looked at Szmodics as a false 9 in the U23s. By all accounts it didn't quite work out. Maybe Semenyo in front of Palmer? But then can you fit Weimann in? Great problems to have.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

And where could O'Dowda fit in? Or should he not be considered?

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And where could O'Dowda fit in? Or should he not be considered?

I have said all season since Dasilva got injured that O'Dowda should play left wing back. He went to left back against Boro and Rowe moved into midfield and O'Dowda looked very comfortable. I like Rowe, but I think O'Dowda has a lot more than him in that position. So I'd play O'Dowda left wing back in a 352.

I feel there is a case for fam to play up top on his own. Think he played his best football away from the gate last year given the different tactical approach often taken as the away team. 

He should also be itching to get a chance. 

Not saying I would go with one up top nor am I against it if it's thought to be the best approach.

just chucking it in the mix as an option I've not seen mentioned.

Archived