IGNORED

Something happening...Confirmed new deal for CoD

RedEyez

I don’t think it is over.

I think, for a player with his record of injuries, he realised the gamble of going out of contract was too much; see criticism of Owen v AV. Maybe he saw that. 

With the sort of revenue coming into the club now we have to weigh up do we have his side posturing every window, or do we say not worth the fee we’d get for him right now if we were to sell - given we have him locked in for four years  

When you consider what we paid, and pay, in wages... if I wasn’t wholly convinced he was not going to be trying to make further moves imminently, I would probably not have offered him a deal, left him aside, not let him earn appearance fees etc and sent a strong message to our young players. Especially as we have already shown we will entertain fair offers which give a chance to progress even if it is destabilising (Webster the best example). 

In some ways I think this was the one to make an example of.

Caveat ALL that with I don’t know squat about the lad, how he is around the squad, what relationships he has and if we were hard-nosed if that would rub players up the wrong way. Just my two pennies from the outside  and signing a contract securing his wage for at least 3 years is not really that big a commitment when he was heading for free agent. He has some bridges to build. 

From where I’m sitting this looks to be sensible for BCFC. It can go one of two ways: (1) Callum performs and earns his place (2) He fails to perform.

I really hope it’s the former. If so, see it as a win:win for the Club and player, if unfortunately, it’s the latter, he will move on and at least we will get a more realistic fee than if he’d not signed a new contract. 

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Great news. 

Now worth an awful lot more when he gets the move he’s actually after in January or the summer!!!! ?

Can't say I understand that - if he wanted a move, going for free would give him a much better chance of getting a good move with more money, rather than a club paying millions for him.

If he really wants a move, the last thing he would do is sign a three year contract with a year option.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Can't say I understand that - if he wanted a move, going for free would give him a much better chance of getting a good move with more money, rather than a club paying millions for him.

If he really wants a move, the last thing he would do is sign a three year contract with a year option.

Well, remaining term of contract paid up should the club accept a sale. 

Nice fee for us. 

As LJ said before the window, he would prefer he signed before it closed to show commitment rather than sign after as it would look like hes signed due to no other deal. 

Im with LJ!!

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Well, remaining term of contract paid up should the club accept a sale. 

Nice fee for us. 

As LJ said before the window, he would prefer he signed before it closed to show commitment rather than sign after as it would look like hes signed due to no other deal. 

Im with LJ!!

It may look like that but I still maintain he'd be better off not signing if he wanted to leave.

Still, he's signed so hopefully we'll see the best of him.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  Club, importantly, protected from losing him on a free / reduced fee....which would not be an ideal endorsement of the ‘project’ - buy cheap and young, sell for a profit.

Now it’s down to Callum....and good luck to him.  I still think he has a bit to do, but I also think if he can develop those couple of weaknesses he will be a key player for us.

I’m sure all fans will now support him.

Good post Dave, he has things to prove to himself, the club and the fans.

I consider it significant that he says in the club web site that he has grown up into a man. That's a difficult thing for any male to admit in public especially one in such a high profile job. I know that when I first married at age of twenty five, I still had a couple or three years to "grow up". We all do it at different ages and Callum's new found confidence should help him to improve. Although if he continues to take defenders on instead of turning back toward his own goal, like he did against Boro for our second goal, we will see the benefit game after game.

Welcome back Callum.

I can’t help but feel the reason he did not sign before was Paterson, injuries did not help but constantly benched while an out of form AM fielder started regularly must have been like a punch in the face he could not reply to. 

We all learn from experience, our head coach too, hopefully that experience will see us in the premier div soon

Excellent news IMO.

Fit and happy Callum O'Dowda is an asset! Hopefully he can now show us, hit form- asset both playing wise and as a possible one to sell on at profit if and when his form takes him back into that bracket. Tactically good too, out wide or can come inside- this flexibility will help us in those central areas where we can have problems at times- good option to have,

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Hope this doesnt push back Elliason

Personally I always liked the idea of a front three that included Eliasson and O'Dowda.   Those two with Afobe would be devastating on the break.   

Nagy, Brownhill, and Palmer in behind.

I always had a soft spot for O'Dowda despite all the shenanigans.  Despite everything I still think he's a bright lad and he'll know his best chance of improving himself (here or elsewhere) is to give his all for the club.

Brilliant news!

He has such a lot to offer and now it's time to knuckle down and kick on.

As I've said before, as good a player as he is, with LJ's coaching he could become a major asset.

In my view, on his day he is a very exciting player and is sensational when running with the ball.

I just hope he doesn't read this forum with some of the negative comments made by some posters on here. Unfortunately we are in an age (& a media) where it's easier to be negative than positive.

Archived