IGNORED

Something happening...Confirmed new deal for CoD

RedEyez

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

From where I’m sitting this looks to be sensible for BCFC. It can go one of two ways: (1) Callum performs and earns his place (2) He fails to perform.

I really hope it’s the former. If so, see it as a win:win for the Club and player, if unfortunately, it’s the latter, he will move on and at least we will get a more realistic fee than if he’d not signed a new contract. 

If he fails to perform how is that going to end up with a realistic fee? better than nothing?

Pleased its not another Maynard situation, and it seems the players we have signed have impressed him enough to show we are on the up. 

It's great to have that ambition, however he needs to win his place back, and on current form, those players we have signed are better he is. Good luck to him, hope he turns into the player he thinks he is, for our benefit for once. Lee obviously rates him.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

If he fails to perform how is that going to end up with a realistic fee? better than nothing?

There will be a club willing to take a punt on a talented player with all his qualities and faults , even £100,000 is better than ‘ nothing ‘ but we have seen his potential and I am sure that he will either breakthrough and be a revelation or will be a squad player who can be sold on for 2/3 million quid .

I think this is good news for City. 

O’Dowda is a strong lad with a direct style. He seems to have gained a regular place in the ROI national team and this will only serve to help him improve his game even more.

You get the feeling that there is real togetherness within the squad this season and they seem to be enjoying it which can only benefit City on the field.

Callum can now settle down and focus on helping City get to the next level.

COD is a player I wanted to see playing centrally but have a suspicion he could well become a wing back in a 3 / 5, directly in competition with JD. 

Time for Callum to get his head down and get back to the player he was before injury when he was very good indeed. 

Total guesswork on my part by the way. 

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

COD is a player I wanted to see playing centrally but have a suspicion he could well become a wing back in a 3 / 5, directly in competition with JD. 

Time for Callum to get his head down and get back to the player he was before injury when he was very good indeed. 

Total guesswork on my part by the way. 

I'd have him in at left wing back now with Dasilva out. Thought he looked very comfortable left back last game and Boro then started attacking the right side more once O'Dowda was on the left.

Underwhelmed to say the least.

If he was that good somebody would have snapped him up: they didn't.

His attitude in prevaricating will majorly have impacted his relationship with City fans; first time he messes up they'll let him know and that won't be good for team morale. He and his management clearly have an opinion as to the quality of his talents not shared by the wider football community.

Best all round would have been for him to have gone.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hopefully he can do his future talking on the pitch instead of in the press.... 

Has a lot to prove and not done himself any favours with the way all this was conducted. Get your head down and concentrate on football. 

When has he done his ‘talking’ in the press . ?

For some of the doubters........really, is there anything u might have done differently if u were negotiating a new contract?      You  look at the available options, assess how well your currrent employer is placed and their ambitions for the future, check if anyone else is interested in headhunting u and possibly get an increased salary, then take your time to consider all this.  Then decide that your best position is to stay where you are with the security of a new contract and an increase in wages.  I would have done exactly the same, as would the majority of people if they are honest.  To accuse him of disloyalty is just naive and hypocritical. Does everyone really believe that when players kiss there badge that they mean to stay for ever?  I think Callum has played it well, and I wish him all the best playing for us in the future.  I'm certain LJ doesn't bear a grudge, so why should we?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

For some of the doubters........really, is there anything u might have done differently if u were negotiating a new contract?      You  look at the available options, assess how well your currrent employer is placed and their ambitions for the future, check if anyone else is interested in headhunting u and possibly get an increased salary, then take your time to consider all this.  Then decide that your best position is to stay where you are with the security of a new contract and an increase in wages.  I would have done exactly the same, as would the majority of people if they are honest.  To accuse him of disloyalty is just naive and hypocritical. Does everyone really believe that when players kiss there badge that they mean to stay for ever?  I think Callum has played it well, and I wish him all the best playing for us in the future.  I'm certain LJ doesn't bear a grudge, so why should we?

Absolutely agree that its his right to seek whats best for him.

Equally so, fans of a club are generally myopic about such matters and don't take kindly to the billy big bollocks impression created.

I'm not personally overwhelmed by the news, and it seems he has signed because nobody else was interested, and City can at least seek to recoup its outlay over the past 3 years and more.

Honestly think his goal at Norwich last season straight after they scored was the best individual goal I've seen in person. The Norwich fans started making noise after they scored and he shut them up, even better was the shhhh celebration from COD that followed.

If he finds some form, he could be worth a hell of a lot at the end of this season. Think he is up there DaSilva in terms of potential. (Massengo is strides ahead of the two of them mind)

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Fair point and not considered that I had been holding him to higher standards than I do myself. That's me put back in my box haha. 

Also only just noticed the twitter video put out with the dog. Actually shows good humour about the whole situation in all parties. That was excellent PR. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That was a journalists article and words / take on the situation, not an interview of any sorts

Found the one I was thinking of 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-callum-odowda-forest-2961914

I interpreted those comments as a fairly thinly veiled dig at Johnson...and Johnson certainly had his say back so I’m guessing he did too! 

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-callum-odowda-forest-2961914

I interpreted those comments as a fairly thinly veiled dig at Johnson...and Johnson certainly had his say back so I’m guessing he did too! 

So O’Dowda allegedly saying that O’Neill got the best out of him with ROI and made him feel like a better player than he actually was is him ‘doing his talking in the press ‘

Really ?  .......come on .......

That really is straw clutching

Johnson has spoken far more  and often about the situation than O’Dowda,  who , sensibly ,  actually kept himself well away from the press and comment as far as I’ve seen

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So O’Dowda allegedly saying that O’Neill got the best out of him with ROI and made him feel like a better player than he actually was is him ‘doing his talking in the press ‘

Really ?  .......come on .......

That really is straw clutching

Johnson has spoken far more  and often about the situation than O’Dowda,  who , sensibly ,  actually kept himself well away from the press and comment as far as I’ve seen

Just my opinion Bob. Read like a ‘come and get me’ to me (bearing in mind these comments were made whilst MON was at Forest, not ROI). 

It’s funny, when we signed him an oxford fan I know said to me ‘good player when his agent isn’t in his head’. Now again perhaps it’s 2+2=5 but from speaking to him it sounds as if he played similar games regarding contract talks whilst there. 

I can’t shake my opinion that he thinks he’s a fair bit better than he’s actually ever shown here. I hope he gets his head down and kicks on, as for me the contribution just hasn’t been there to have caused such a situation in the first place. 

Perhaps I’m being too hard on the kid but personally I hate the soap opera will he/won’t he bullshit and stopped caring either way a while back as I’ve never seen enough on the pitch from him to worry either way whether he leaves. 

50 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Just my opinion Bob. Read like a ‘come and get me’ to me (bearing in mind these comments were made whilst MON was at Forest, not ROI). 

It’s funny, when we signed him an oxford fan I know said to me ‘good player when his agent isn’t in his head’. Now again perhaps it’s 2+2=5 but from speaking to him it sounds as if he played similar games regarding contract talks whilst there. 

I can’t shake my opinion that he thinks he’s a fair bit better than he’s actually ever shown here. I hope he gets his head down and kicks on, as for me the contribution just hasn’t been there to have caused such a situation in the first place. 

Perhaps I’m being too hard on the kid but personally I hate the soap opera will he/won’t he bullshit and stopped caring either way a while back as I’ve never seen enough on the pitch from him to worry either way whether he leaves. 

With the greatest respect......the soap opera and will he/won't he bullshit is largely drummed up by newspapers and websites  to fill their pages, when most of the time there is no real story there?  Then  supporters pick up on the non-story and create a topic for discussion, which brings all types of opinions and trolling to the debate.  Meanwhile O'Dowda is just doing what we all would do in his situation, if we had any sense.  Weighing up the options, the length of contract. salary etc., and then making a judgement based on that. I am not defending him, but it does seem that he is getting some undue criticism for taking his time, instead of rushing into it.   I have no knowledge of his agent, but quite often, as you know, they love to stir the pot. in the hope of picking up another percentage?

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So, in brief, CO'D, when referring to his international manager, said (according to a journalist's article, that he gave him confidence: 

"I think with Martin it was more that he made me feel like a better player than I actually am,” 

“That's what I noticed. I would be going out to training probably thinking that I was better than I was.

"I felt that Martin’s man-management skills were very good and he probably got the best out of me."

I think that, if true, that is a pretty fair and reasonable comment, but hardly '....doing his talking in the press or having a dig a Johnson, veiled or not'.

Sorry - I see that @BobBobSuperBob and others have alraedy responded.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Is he even that good? You can probably count the number of good games he has had for us on one hand. I think Eliasson has shown far more. 

Fulham, Hull and Sunderland away two seasons ago he was unplayable. Wolves away at right wing back he was very good too. Watford, Stoke and Palace cup games he was outstanding. Cardiff game where he scored and we won he was our best player. That's just games I can remember. Sure there were other good and some bad that season. Certainly looked like on a whole new level before the injury.

Last season i thought there were some very good performances too. Both Norwich games he was our best player and a number of away games he was very good and a key player in a number of wins. Has some bad games too and needs to find that consistency. I do feel a new role may get the best out of him and that may be left wing back. 

Key thing to me is he seems to perform well against tough opposition. He works his socks off and is very versatile. Still young and can improve.

Archived