IGNORED

Something happening...Confirmed new deal for CoD

RedEyez

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

With the greatest respect......the soap opera and will he/won't he bullshit is largely drummed up by newspapers and websites  to fill their pages, when most of the time there is no real story there?  Then  supporters pick up on the non-story and create a topic for discussion, which brings all types of opinions and trolling to the debate.  Meanwhile O'Dowda is just doing what we all would do in his situation, if we had any sense.  Weighing up the options, the length of contract. salary etc., and then making a judgement based on that. I am not defending him, but it does seem that he is getting some undue criticism for taking his time, instead of rushing into it.   I have no knowledge of his agent, but quite often, as you know, they love to stir the pot. in the hope of picking up another percentage?

As I've said I can only really go on what I've been told by an Oxford fan as regards his agent's antics, but it's a very specific and random fib, if it's not true, and when you add on this saga you'd have to say no smoke without fire.

Johnson's already publicly said that they came to the table with their demands, only to walk away again despite those demands being met. For me that says a lot about the character, whether it's COD or the agent driving that behaviour, it doesn't sit well with me. To me it feels like he's here only because the better offer he wanted didn't materialise, so I can't say I'm overly enthused about the way it's all gone down. Of course that's taking LJs comments as gospel, but again I can't see Johnson going to the media with lies about the situation. 

Either way, what's done is done, I do genuinely hope he kicks on from here, and I'll support every player wearing the shirt as I always do. But for me he has a lot to prove, as I don't think he's ever really delivered what he's capable of, which is all I meant in the first place about letting his football do the talking. 

Alot of the noise around Callum has been conjecture. 

He does seem very positive about the new signings and the direction of the club.  All things that would be a consideration for an ambitious young player.

He may have looked at the decision of a seasoned pro and perennial loanee Kalas to sign permanently and thought this club isn't such a bad place.  Maybe some cautionary advice from Afobe (who was very complimentary about LJ's ability to improve players) on his experience at other clubs and thought that maybe the grass isn't greener.

If Callum was joining as a new signing then I'm sure everyone would be alot more excited.  

Callum's quotes in MacGregor's article following today's press conference:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/callum-odowda-say-new-bristol-3360663

On why it took so long:

"I would say it was a relief to get the new contract signed. It did drag on way too long. But I’m happy and I’m all sorted now because going into the last year of your contract is not ideal.

"For me personally, because you never know what might happen in football. Look at what happened to Benik the other day - something that came just out of the blue. The reason it took so long - and I’m not going to go into the depths of the contract - but what I can say is that it was one of those things where it had to be right for both parties.

"And that was the reason it took so long. But we got there in the end and I’m delighted I’ve committed my future"

On whether he only stayed because moves elsewhere fell through:

"Listen, the fans don’t hear that from me. I’m not going to openly just say but there’s always interest.

"I was coming to the last year of my contract and there was always going to be teams left, right and centre [interested in him] but if I’m brutally honest I always wanted to sign [with Bristol City].

"I just wanted to make sure it was right for me and the club at the same time. The message to the fans is - and I even said it to fans after games: I just wanted it to get sorted. I just wanted to make sure it got sorted right."

On whether he was frozen out:

"Frozen out? It wasn't. I remember I had my LCL [knee ligament] injury and if I’m being honest even when I came back I wasn’t fully fit. Because I missed eight weeks out.

"I did declare myself as half fit-ish. I remember just having an open dialogue with the gaffer - I said I'm fit but I haven't got the minutes in me and I haven't got the sharpness because I was out for a good 8-10 weeks.

"And we were both honest with each other. We got the good result against Millwall and he said I'm going to stick to the same 18. I respected that and at the time we still had a great chance to make the play-offs. We were honest with each other.

"We were fine. The 'frozen out' thing? I'm not too sure where that came from."

58 minutes ago, NNSnse said:

Callum's quotes in MacGregor's article following today's press conference:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/callum-odowda-say-new-bristol-3360663

On why it took so long:

"I would say it was a relief to get the new contract signed. It did drag on way too long. But I’m happy and I’m all sorted now because going into the last year of your contract is not ideal.

"For me personally, because you never know what might happen in football. Look at what happened to Benik the other day - something that came just out of the blue. The reason it took so long - and I’m not going to go into the depths of the contract - but what I can say is that it was one of those things where it had to be right for both parties.

"And that was the reason it took so long. But we got there in the end and I’m delighted I’ve committed my future"

On whether he only stayed because moves elsewhere fell through:

"Listen, the fans don’t hear that from me. I’m not going to openly just say but there’s always interest.

"I was coming to the last year of my contract and there was always going to be teams left, right and centre [interested in him] but if I’m brutally honest I always wanted to sign [with Bristol City].

"I just wanted to make sure it was right for me and the club at the same time. The message to the fans is - and I even said it to fans after games: I just wanted it to get sorted. I just wanted to make sure it got sorted right."

On whether he was frozen out:

"Frozen out? It wasn't. I remember I had my LCL [knee ligament] injury and if I’m being honest even when I came back I wasn’t fully fit. Because I missed eight weeks out.

"I did declare myself as half fit-ish. I remember just having an open dialogue with the gaffer - I said I'm fit but I haven't got the minutes in me and I haven't got the sharpness because I was out for a good 8-10 weeks.

"And we were both honest with each other. We got the good result against Millwall and he said I'm going to stick to the same 18. I respected that and at the time we still had a great chance to make the play-offs. We were honest with each other.

"We were fine. The 'frozen out' thing? I'm not too sure where that came from."

Well that should hopefully shut a few up!

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well that should hopefully shut a few up!

Spot on ... but there will still be the wise ones who know exactly what other clubs’ managers tell their players during dressing room team talks and all the salary details of every player who is ever discussed on here as well as the ins and outs of all City players’ contract negotiations, there’s even some who accuse players of being dishonest about their ages ... makes I laugh though so it’s all good ... 

2 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Interesting article in https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/callum-odowda-bristol-city-winger-3356317

Shows he’s still grounded and not too big for his boots & happy to help (despite what some on here think)

Interesting article but doesn’t really answer any questions. Johnson indicated that he did a u-turn on his own demands which contradicts the ‘i just wanted to get it done’ stance. 

Don’t begrudge him holding out for the best deal - short career and all that - but can’t shake the impression that he’s only here because the big move elsewhere he was picturing didn’t materialise. 

Whatever the circumstances I’d like to see him really kick on this season. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting article but doesn’t really answer any questions. Johnson indicated that he did a u-turn on his own demands which contradicts the ‘i just wanted to get it done’ stance. 

Don’t begrudge him holding out for the best deal - short career and all that - but can’t shake the impression that he’s only here because the big move elsewhere he was picturing didn’t materialise. 

I don't see it as much of an issue, food chain and all that. Every player we own, are only here because other bigger clubs don't currently want them. 

It is what it is, if players want to progress their careers and then move in to bigger clubs then they have to perform for us and if they do that ultimately we benefit.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Everything LJ indicates is gospel you know! 

4 hours ago, Brooko said:

Everything LJ indicates is gospel you know! 

Somehow can’t see him saying that to the press if it’s untrue. If it weren’t true it would have completely killed their relationship. 

Whatever happened, it’s done, I’ll always support anyone on that pitch and I hope he kicks on and becomes the real asset he should be by now. 

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Somehow can’t see him saying that to the press if it’s untrue. If it weren’t true it would have completely killed their relationship. 

Whatever happened, it’s done, I’ll always support anyone on that pitch and I hope he kicks on and becomes the real asset he should be by now. 

What happened tho 86 was when LJ sated that COD had not signed the terms agreed verbally a load on here immediately made the mistake of jumping on ‘terms’ as money - wages , and decided that he had demanded more money , of which there was in fact zero indication from LJ

Contracts now contain a whole host of clauses and options and conditions for either party and what this is what COD appears to have alleged too

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Well i think its clear that he signed because he didnt get a move.

He's never going to admit that. But its obvious.

Not really because otherwise he would have either signed it straight after window closed, or more likely just run his contract down and get a big signing on fee and choice of clubs in the sunmer.

I expect there is something in his contract he wanted added so he can move on, like a non promotion release clause for a set fee. Don't have a clue though. I'm guessing just like you and many others.

The only thing we know for sure is he signed a 3 year contract with us. That tells me he wants to continue playing here for now. But every player wants to move to bigger clubs and earn more money. So I don't really get why fans have a problem with Callum.

Archived