IGNORED

One team in Bristol, obviously...

cityexile

If anyone is interested in decoding it all...

• mild mild west: bristol is the birthplace of banksy, one of his famous works is titled mild mild west, in bristol
  • a supersonic city: the concorde was developed in bristol and in paris
  • tarmacked the way for world: macadam invented modern road surfaces in bristol (not exactly tarmack though)
  • first female doctor: pretty self-explanatory
  • the birth of america: john cabot set sail from bristol to discover mainland north america
  • orange and white classics: the founder of penguin was from bristol
  • trusty sidekicks in sidecars/the wrong trousers: references to wallace and gromit, which were created in bristol
  • the marks of a kingdom: Isambard Kingdom Brunel was from Bristol, and he designed the Clifton Suspension Bridge, one of the most iconic landmarks in Bristol
  • hot air baloons: bristol is the hot air baloon capital in europe!
  • robins: Really?
  • green capital: bristol was named the european green capital in 2015
  • something truly massive: bristol is home to massive attack and the birthplace of trip hop

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

If anyone is interested in deciding it all...

• mild mild west: bristol is the birthplace of banksy, one of his famous works is titled mild mild west, in bristol
  • tarmacked the way for world: macadam invented modern road surfaces in bristol (not exactly tarmack though)
  • the birth of america: john cabot set sail from bristol to discover mainland north america
  • trusty sidekicks in sidecars/the wrong trousers: references to wallace and gromit, which were created in bristol
  • the marks of a kingdom: Isambard Kingdom Brunel was from Bristol, and he designed the Clifton Suspension Bridge, one of the most iconic landmarks in Bristol
  • something truly massive: bristol is home to massive attack and the birthplace of trip hop

WTF is trip hop ?

I suppose if I have to ask I don't need to know..

12 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Wasn't Brunel from portsmouth?

2 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Wasn't Brunel from portsmouth?

Certainly born there, and I think spent a fair amount of his early working life in London. Worked on projects all over in reality, but seems to be first associated with West Country/Bristol in most people’s minds, partly as a function I guess of GWR, the bridge and the ship.

Great signing for us back in the day. 

9 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Trip Hop- Massive Attack, Portishead, Roni Size, Djs Krush and Shadow, Tricky, Martina Topley Bird, Goldfrapp et al

I have become an expert at nodding enthusiastically to my daughter when she gives me more detail on something like this with a ‘Ah, yes, got it!’ comment which seems to pass muster.

So, Ah yes, got it, thanks.

14 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I have become an expert at nodding enthusiastically to my daughter when she gives me more detail on something like this with a ‘Ah, yes, got it!’ comment which seems to pass muster.

:laugh:, I'm the same with the younger generation, I just happen to like all these musicians music even though I'm knocking on :laugh:

59 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Certainly born there, and I think spent a fair amount of his early working life in London. Worked on projects all over in reality, but seems to be first associated with West Country/Bristol in most people’s minds, partly as a function I guess of GWR, the bridge and the ship.

Great signing for us back in the day. 

Didn't he sign up as a special constable during the original Bristol riots?

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

The Pirates deserve a mention though surely? In fairness...

Afterall Black Beard was notoriously one of the best known pirates in history,, then of course we shouldn't overlook the other, …..Treasure Islands  Long John Silver of Bristolian literary fame.  

10 hours ago, cityexile said:

•  

Surely the Sags support?

11 hours ago, cityexile said:

Cabot took 5 ships and 300 men with him to America, but was gutted when he heard that the Pirates took 8 ships and 500 men on a day trip to Lundy. True fact that is.

11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

WTF is trip hop ?

I suppose if I have to ask I don't need to know..

I grew up with "trip-hop" and I have no ******* clue either.

The way I always understood it was that it was the kind of music you'd hear in underground raves where everyone was "tripping". It wasn't EDM, but it was its own thing, hence the term?

11 hours ago, cityexile said:

These musicians were first around 25/30 years ago, if you mention these bands you can reverse the ‘ ‘Ah yes got it’ onto her!

49 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I grew up with "trip-hop" and I have no ******* clue either.

The way I always understood it was that it was the kind of music you'd hear in underground raves where everyone was "tripping". It wasn't EDM, but it was its own thing, hence the term?

It's a term created by the media to try and describe the jazz-hip hop-breakbeat-soul-electronica fusion that happened in Bristol with the Wild Bunch and later Massive Attack, Tricky, and Portishead.

Archived