IGNORED

Derby been hard done by ?

Tipps69

11 hours ago, RedSkin said:

Why are Cardiff on TV so much??  Zero footballing quality.

Surprised some on here have said they enjoy watching the Warnock style of football. I find it absolutely dire to watch.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surprised some on here have said they enjoy watching the Warnock style of football. I find it absolutely dire to watch.

I think a few people on here like the success it has sporadically given his teams on getting into the PL, usually up automatically and then teetering on the brink before coming straight down.

I could never watch a team regularly that was managed by him. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, but I was talking about last season when we had them on loan - three players who made a huge impact on our season - not so different to Derby ...

No. Derby’s position last season was in part, down to those three loaners. Therefore, they may do less well without them, therefore last season’s position (may have been) artificially high. Similarly for us, except, we now have those players permanently, so might expect to do as well this year. Consequently (the theory is) last season’s position for us was not artificial, because the same (and better) personnel ought to be expected to replicate it. 

2 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I think a few people on here like the success it has sporadically given his teams on getting into the PL, usually up automatically and then teetering on the brink before coming straight down.

I could never watch a team regularly that was managed by him. 

I like our approach of trying to play in a way that will hopefully play teams off the park, rather like the way Norwich went up. But also to carry on playing football if we get promoted to the prem. It is a much stronger long term plan.

The Warnock, Pulis hoof ball tactics can get instant results. But I don't see there being much room for youth to come through. As any player would have to be very well physically developed to play in such a way, and it really helps to have an experienced bunch for it to work. Lots of dirty tactics used that experienced players know how to do and get away with.

Players generally want to pass the ball and play football the right way. I think the hoof ball tactics is gruelling physically and is hard to keep doing successfully season after season.

Looking at that Cardiff side, if Warnock leaves and someone comes in who wants to play football, they might find it very hard as they don't have many good footballers. What happens then is results suffer as players try to play in a way that doesn't necessarily suit them. I think the same may have happened with Stoke, and look at them now. Wasn't Hughes trying to play more football than what Pulis did, and they conceded lots of goals because of this and he didn't last long in the job.

On 14/09/2019 at 08:11, JBFC II said:

But they had 3 loan players who were all much better than Derby, and were only loaned there as Lampard was their manager. 

We loaned in 3 players who we showed this summer were at our level by recruiting them.

Therefore you could argue they were in a false position due to having those three players

Fair enough - so we were in a false position when we had Tammy up front as he was much better than our level ... 

On 14/09/2019 at 10:02, JonDolman said:

I like our approach of trying to play in a way that will hopefully play teams off the park, rather like the way Norwich went up. But also to carry on playing football if we get promoted to the prem. It is a much stronger long term plan.

The Warnock, Pulis hoof ball tactics can get instant results. But I don't see there being much room for youth to come through. As any player would have to be very well physically developed to play in such a way, and it really helps to have an experienced bunch for it to work. Lots of dirty tactics used that experienced players know how to do and get away with.

Players generally want to pass the ball and play football the right way. I think the hoof ball tactics is gruelling physically and is hard to keep doing successfully season after season.

Looking at that Cardiff side, if Warnock leaves and someone comes in who wants to play football, they might find it very hard as they don't have many good footballers. What happens then is results suffer as players try to play in a way that doesn't necessarily suit them. I think the same may have happened with Stoke, and look at them now. Wasn't Hughes trying to play more football than what Pulis did, and they conceded lots of goals because of this and he didn't last long in the job.

Debatable. Overall I agree.

Worth noting though that Jagielka, Tonge and some others came through under him at Sheff Utd. Sharp too though he only really came good elsewhere and much later. Stephen Quinn a fairly capable player too.

Certainly a decent number under him at Crystal Palace.

Dunno. Pack, Bacuna, Ralls you can make a decent central midfield out of. If Tomlin is firing he can be sharp, Hoillett, Murphy and Paterson are good players- Flint on the ball not too bad in his final season here, though he isn't a footballing CB first and foremost. Loaning out Cunningham and Reid probably not the best moves from a footballiong standpoint, especially Reid as we all know what he can do- Cunningham not the worst technically.

On 14/09/2019 at 10:02, JonDolman said:

I’m not convinced that is our current style.  I’m not sure what I would call it, but I can describe it as “creating good chances efficiently”.  We certainly don’t pass for passing’s sake, but we don’t hoof either.  We do like to play in transition it seems.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough - so we were in a false position when we had Tammy up front as he was much better than our level ... 

Yeh we were, we were fortunate with Reid the season after though as well as strengthening our whole squad instead of just relying on Tammy 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not convinced that is our current style.  I’m not sure what I would call it, but I can describe it as “creating good chances efficiently”.  We certainly don’t pass for passing’s sake, but we don’t hoof either.  We do like to play in transition it seems.

Not exactly like Norwich. But I do think we are playing attacking football, generally keeping the ball on the deck, still playing it out when possible and going for it.

Archived