IGNORED

59th minutes applause at Stoke City

Never to the dark side

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

This applause for the dead is becoming very tedious. So people die throughout the year. I have always considered that we go to football to forget real life, not have it rammed down our throats at every match.

A minutes silence or applause once a season is sufficient.

Agree

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

This applause for the dead is becoming very tedious. So people die throughout the year. I have always considered that we go to football to forget real life, not have it rammed down our throats at every match.

The frequency of such requests takes a back seat for me to the fact that I have never seen an applause on the Xth min actually take place on that minute. It is always X+1, and that gnaws at my soul. And for that, it's a no from me.

13 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

If stoke fans applaud just join in not asking much.

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

I would agree if it was every single game for 2, 3, 4+ different people at different times. But it is usually a handful of times over a season. As above, if it helps a child a little bit then I personally don't really see the issue.

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

I'm sure we all feel every sympathy every time we hear these sad stories but a minutes applause at a game is another thing altogether.

There was a time last season when it seemed to be happening every week.

I would feel obliged to join in applause for the Stoke fan, but I'd prefer it if such an accolade was not happening in the first place.

The increasing trend over recent seasons of paying such a tribute to individual fans, who sadly die every week, has become too much now imo.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

The frequency of such requests takes a back seat for me to the fact that I have never seen an applause on the Xth min actually take place on that minute. It is always X+1, and that gnaws at my soul. And for that, it's a no from me.

Indeed. 

59th minute = start clapping as the clock goes past 58.00, and stop as it passes 58.59. Perhaps Stoke fans today will get it right, but I suspect they’ll clap between 59.00 and 59.59. 

Stoke did a nice thing when we were there last season on New Year’s Day. They put up details on the big screen of their fans who had passed away during the previous year.

I don’t like these minutes of applause and certainly wouldn’t want one for me when my time comes. Those who will miss me will truly miss me, the vast majority that join in any applause will not.  Hardly anyone applauding would know me so the gesture would seem a bit empty to me.  That said I will always join in with a requested applause during a specific minute, as this does seem to provide some comfort to those who have lost a loved one. Each to their own. 

4 hours ago, Cannybluff said:

If clapping for a minute helps a family or person to feel that someone they loved is remembered, appreciated and cared about by everyone who shares the community then I would clap every game. Quite surprised people find it such a hardship tbh

It’s because it loses it’s impact. If it’s for something or someone major then fair enough, but I would imagine in a crowd of 15k+ there are quite a few people affected by bereavement.

16 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If I was going, NO.

**** me mate its called respect does it relly hurt to clap some poor ****** for a minute.

5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

**** me mate its called respect does it relly hurt to clap some poor ****** for a minute.

I don't think it is though, because I can pretty much guarantee that during the clapping, everyone will still be talking, watching the game and, if there is an incident- penalty appeal maybe- then the focus will be switched to that.

Respect would be to bow your head in a minute's silence and think about the person who died, which , in the context of a game of football going on at the same time, just isn't going to happen (and nor should it)

12 hours ago, city1983 said:

I’m glad to see most people are tiring of the minutes applause on x minute of a game. I was completely shot down when I made this point over a year ago.

Glad the shots weren't fatal and you're still with us...  otherwise we would have given you a heartfelt OTIB :clapping::clapping:at the time.

(PS.. fao: the failed OTIB 'marksman' assassin ... should've gone to Specsavers! mate) 

Archived