IGNORED

Stoke vs Bristol City Match Day 7

TuxHarry

Purely for selfish reasons I wanted this game postponed so that I could attend the rearranged fixture. The odds of snow, floodlight failure, waterlogged pitch weren't in my favour! However, just like a couple of years ago when Briz were playing rugby in an Anglo Welsh cup match and at half time a hole appeared in the middle of the pitch, I'll go for something similar.  The ground is built above old mine shafts.

I'll go for something similar and the match will be abandoned at half time!

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Nagy wont be fit so Massengo will play

Afobe cant play, LJ wont take a chance on Semenyo yet so will revert to Diedhiou.

I think he will play a back 3 of Wright, Moore and Baker rather thana back 4.

Stoke are bottom and under the cosh (but still a good team).  Manager given dreaded vote of confidence, so they will come out all guns blazing today. Going to be a tough and physical game I think.

Wright? - I do hope not. He should be last resort for a starting place.

22 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We'll see what the Supreme Court have to say about that !!!

On matters pertaining to the match day thread, Is Havanatopia  the president of the  OTIB Supreme Court?

8 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Unofficial Match Day Thread given special temporary Officially sanctioned status by official match day thread official then? ...  

Is that officially or unofficially?

TuxHarry, can't say I've heard of you before, and I thought I knew all the crowd on OTIB!

Now, I'm all for someone else starting a match day thread, but TuxHarry, where's the interesting anecdotes, amusing City - Stoke comparisons, and tales of former matches???

COME ON CITY, 2-0 WIN TODAY, LET'S TEAR THE CHAMPIONSHIP APART!

3 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

a 'potted' history of Stoke was looked forward to.

I bet Peg had a few interesting odds and sods gently curing in her kiln for this one... Then along comes TuxHarry and tux it up for all of us....

Come on then Tux me old china waddaya know about the potteries? Before OTIBs pre match eyes glaze over... 

True, I do enjoy reading an informative, amusing opening to the match day thread, perhaps I'll just have to do a bit of digging on the internet to suffice...

1 hour ago, Offside said:

I dislike Stoke - haven’t forgiven them for Wembley 2000 or for getting promoted automatically in that season when we lost in the play-off final to Hull. 

Regardless of all of that, this is the sort of game that worries me a bit. We have been known to be sluggish after an international break and their bad form will turn around at some point. 

On the other hand we have signed some quality players, so I’m going to put my pessimism aside and predict a 2-1 win for us. 

I still haven't forgiven Stoke for that infamous Tuesday night in 1976 with The Big Cheese ?

Is Nagy available yet?

If so I'd like to see either:

Brownhill Nagy Massengo O'Dowda/Eliasson

Palmer

Weimann

4-4-1-1

Or

4-3-3, with those 3 centrally and a fluid front 3 of Weimann, supported by O'Dowda and Palmer.

Not such a fan of 4-4-2, think it can be quite easy to combat at this level if we're looking to control the ball etc.

Good to see enthusiasm for starting a match day thread early - Peg can always add her more in-depth version a bit later in the day.

To put it in an OTIB historical context there was a time when no such keen competition for initiating the match thread existed - hence some of us persuading Havanatopia to take it on regularly, which he did with such an unexpectedly quirky gusto it quickly became a weekly must read on it's own.

However his match thread duties faltered alarmingly due to exhausting prolonged extra 'lie ins' brought on by an extended honeymoon period (still going strong as far as we know, the fellow has enviable stamina) and he couldn't fit in both arduous tasks first thing in the morning to the satisfaction of all concerned,

Something had to give, and it certainly wasn't going to be Havana's 'lie in', so a new reliable regular thread starter was needed. 

Peg enthusiastically grabbed Havana's baton and that's where things happily stand today.

Thought that would be the side. Watkins on bench. Deserves to be there from how good he looked against Leeds under 23s. But he looked really good at wing back which Pereira is, so can't see the need for him being on the bench, and I thought Nagy was fit?

Archived