IGNORED

Swansea match

ChippenhamRed

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Still waiting for one of the City encyclopaedias on here to give me the definitive answer on when we last went into a second tier game with a mathematical chance of going top (minimum five games played)?

Someone out there will have the answer.

Prior to the home game against Wolves April 12th 2008 would be my best guess. We had a mathematical chance of going top if we'd won and results went our way (we didn't and they didn't).

However, we'd only been knocked off of top spot by losing at Southampton the week before.

That's be my best guess. I don't think we've got close since have we?

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Still waiting for one of the City encyclopaedias on here to give me the definitive answer on when we last went into a second tier game with a mathematical chance of going top (minimum five games played)?

Someone out there will have the answer.

15th September 2018 we beat Sheff Utd 1-0 to go third after seven games, one point off Leeds who were top, so the next match we must have had the chance of going top subject to other results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45456099

9 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Prior to the home game against Wolves April 12th 2008 would be my best guess. We had a mathematical chance of going top if we'd won and results went our way (we didn't and they didn't).

However, we'd only been knocked off of top spot by losing at Southampton the week before.

That's be my best guess. I don't think we've got close since have we?

Tremendous reply!

I can’t imagine we’ve been closer since, 17/18 aside we’ve never been near the top, and I think we’ve established that Wolves were always well clear then.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

15th September 2018 we beat Sheff Utd 1-0 to go third after seven games, one point off Leeds who were top, so the next match we must have had the chance of going top subject to other results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45456099

...no sooner have I said it and I’ve been proven wrong. Great answer.

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Tremendous reply!

I can’t imagine we’ve been closer since, 17/18 aside we’ve never been near the top, and I think we’ve established that Wolves were always well clear then.

...no sooner have I said it and I’ve been proven wrong. Great answer.

Just to complete the circle having now looked it up, the actual answer to the question when did we last kick off with a chance of going top, is Tuesday 18 September, when we lost 4-2 at WBA (our next game after Sheff Utd). As happens, with Leeds winning the same night, we would only have gone second with a win.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Just to complete the circle having now looked it up, the actual answer to the question when did we last kick off with a chance of going top, is Tuesday 18 September, when we lost 4-2 at WBA (our next game after Sheff Utd). As happens, with Leeds winning the same night, we would only have gone second with a win.

This is elite level research, full credit to you!

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Must confess I was somewhat surprised after 7 games last season we were on 14 points, with 4W 2D 1L. As we then lost the next two, let’s hope for better!

This season just seems different though.

Last year, would we have gone away with 5 first team players unavailable and won? I’m not so sure

Last season after 7 games;

Bristol City results 2.5+ CS FTS HT
4 Aug 18 Bristol City 1 - 1 Nottm Forest - - - 1-0
11 Aug 18 Bolton 2 - 2 Bristol City + - - 0-0
18 Aug 18 Bristol City 0 - 2 Middlesbrough - - + 0-2
21 Aug 18 QP Rangers 0 - 3 Bristol City + + - 0-1
25 Aug 18 Swansea City 0 - 1 Bristol City - + - 0-1
2 Sep 18 Bristol City 4 - 1 Blackburn + - - 1-1
15 Sep 18 Bristol City 1 - 0 Sheffield Utd - + - 0-0

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I remember the notorious Wolves home game being absolutely crucial but I don’t think we would have gone top with a win, would we?

Closest I can remember to us going top that season though.

No, I think we were about ten points off the top going into that game? We were third after that defeat to Wolves I think ...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, I think we were about ten points off the top going into that game? We were third after that defeat to Wolves I think ...

We were 8 points behind them before the game, and you are right, we were third at the end of the game. At kick off it was actually top v second.

edit, actually on checking that is not quite right. We started the day in second, but kicked off in third as we were the late kick off.

17 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

I think Wolves would have recovered from that (admittedly I have nothing concrete to base that on). 

Yeah more than likely. 

The way they celebrated though, showed what a crucial win it was. That gave them clear daylight and a proper margin for error- had we won just that uncertainty could've built, experience, lack of time in English game- the less margin for error the more likely to slip up.

Real fork in the road for both sides that night!

19 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Let's be honest,,last two matches we've gotten away with it....OK,,great,scores on the doors & all that.

But....we shall have to up it significantly v Swans.....very much hoping Nagy may be fit as I feel were gona need him.

Swansea won at Leeds which was a great win - but they didn't deserve it, Forest deservedly beat them as well yesterday. Nothing to be feared in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Swansea won at Leeds which was a great win - but they didn't deserve it, Forest deservedly beat them as well yesterday. Nothing to be feared in my opinion.

Wasting your time.

Finding something to be negative about seems to be something RTB lives for.

6 unbeaten and still at it.

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

Season ticket holder at Leeds I know said they hammered them the whole game and they just got lucky once

bristol city and Leeds straight promotion..... 

On 14/09/2019 at 22:07, cityexile said:

We were 8 points behind them before the game, and you are right, we were third at the end of the game. At kick off it was actually top v second.

edit, actually on checking that is not quite right. We started the day in second, but kicked off in third as we were the late kick off.

Another quiz question for you @cityexile or anyone else that knows.

When was the last time we played a second tier game (after a minimum five matches) when EITHER team had a mathematical chance of being top at the end of the day?

34 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Another quiz question for you @cityexile or anyone else that knows.

When was the last time we played a second tier game (after a minimum five matches) when EITHER team had a mathematical chance of being top at the end of the day?

It depends if we're being realistic or if you'd accept any sort of mathematical possibility. 

On 19 April 2008 we played Stoke away and lost 2-1. 

If West Brom (1st 74pts) had lost and Hull (2nd 72pts) failed to win then either Stoke (3rd 72pts) or us (4th 71pts) could have gone top. Although we'd have needed a 30 goal swing. 

As it turns out Hull lost but WBA won. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

It depends if we're being realistic or if you'd accept any sort of mathematical possibility. 

On 19 April 2008 we played Stoke away and lost 2-1. 

If West Brom (1st 74pts) had lost and Hull (2nd 72pts) failed to win then either Stoke (3rd 72pts) or us (4th 71pts) could have gone top. Although we'd have needed a 30 goal swing. 

As it turns out Hull lost but WBA won. 

Outstanding answer!

Not heard a lot about Nagy injury.

Hopefully he'll be ready for this game.

Same with Kalas although I think he's scheduled for PNE.

U23s game tonight so be interesting to see if either are involved provided the official site or club twitter posts the into - lot to ask. Sheffield United have got their team up on twitter.. 

Neither scheduled for minutes in tonights game then.

So, same team as for Stoke except Afobe coming back in hopefully.

Certainly the same defence and midfield that started saturday I would think (injuries permitting).

At some point I'd like to see Semenyo with Afobe up top but maybe saturday is a bit too soon for that.

• Admin
11 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Neither scheduled for minutes in tonights game then.

So, same team as for Stoke except Afobe coming back in hopefully.

Certainly the same defence and midfield that started saturday I would think (injuries permitting).

At some point I'd like to see Semenyo with Afobe up top but maybe saturday is a bit too soon for that.

Can't see Wiemann being dropped at the moment he is playing too well. 

The only way Semenyo is going to oust him is if he gets injured or suspended

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Can't see Wiemann being dropped at the moment he is playing too well. 

The only way Semenyo is going to oust him is if he gets injured or suspended

We could do with a few players being on the same wavelength as Wiemann. A lot of his intelligent runs off the ball are wasted, although some drag defenders away with him.

Archived