IGNORED

Great result, very happy - Now learn the lessons please LJ!

Prinny

For those completely results orientated I'll save you the time "we won" , "fam scored" "3rd!" you can move on now! It's a results business and we got the result and I'm delighted with it. We could however make it a lot easier than we are doing. I mostly thank Joe Allen and Jack Hunt for it. LJ not so much.

Playing without wingers with Famara is awful, truly awful. He doesn't hold the ball up well and when he does he never makes it into the box afterwards. He absolutely should not be seen in this 5-3-2 formation again. He blocks the space for Palmer who had his worst game since signing/Leeds and kills the attacks either with poor control or by slowing the game down with poor momentum. Putting players in the right position to be successful is pretty simple. It's no wonder Famara looks terrible as we ask him to do things he's not good at. He scored goals in the box. That's what he's good at.

When vs ten men, playing through the central area does not help us score. It's woeful. We were running straight at them and chipping balls into the box. It was so so so bad. If it means there's space for people to run into down the side however... you need players to actually do this. We didn't until...

We scored two goals from Jack Hunt being the only player willing to try to commit a player and put an effective cross in. He did this twice, and as soon as we went ahead we stopped doing it. And we didn't create a really good chance after. Being two goals up is apparently too dangerous for us to try... I'm not a huge Jack Hunt fan defensively, but he's the bravest player we have, as he actually tries to take people on and cross the ball. Way too many players shirking the responsibility of making that run, or trying to deliver a hard pass today, and he stepped up.

Football seems really simple sometimes. Round pegs round holes. You have more players, pass the ball to create space, run off the ball to isolate and attack. Cross the ball to the back stick for the big man. When you play with width you create space through the middle as well. Don't isolate our own front man.

Just listening to LJs interview with Radio Bristol and he even says the same stuff about his tactics and not creating space. If you want an answer to what more I want from our team. I'd like him to not keep making the same errors. We often start slow and have to change things. Right first time please. It shouldn't take the team until half time to work out they need to get into wide areas and cross the ball.

4 minutes ago, Prinny said:

For those completely results orientated I'll save you the time "we won" , "fam scored" "3rd!" you can move on now! It's a results business and we got the result and I'm delighted with it. We could however make it a lot easier than we are doing. I mostly thank Joe Allen and Jack Hunt for it. LJ not so much.

Playing without wingers with Famara is awful, truly awful. He doesn't hold the ball up well and when he does he never makes it into the box afterwards. He absolutely should not be seen in this 5-3-2 formation again. He blocks the space for Palmer who had his worst game since signing/Leeds and kills the attacks either with poor control or by slowing the game down with poor momentum. Putting players in the right position to be successful is pretty simple. It's no wonder Famara looks terrible as we ask him to do things he's not good at. He scored goals in the box. That's what he's good at.

When vs ten men, playing through the central area does not help us score. It's woeful. We were running straight at them and chipping balls into the box. It was so so so bad. If it means there's space for people to run into down the side however... you need players to actually do this. We didn't until...

We scored two goals from Jack Hunt being the only player willing to try to commit a player and put an effective cross in. He did this twice, and as soon as we went ahead we stopped doing it. And we didn't create a really good chance after. Being two goals up is apparently too dangerous for us to try... I'm not a huge Jack Hunt fan defensively, but he's the bravest player we have, as he actually tries to take people on and cross the ball. Way too many players shirking the responsibility of making that run, or trying to deliver a hard pass today, and he stepped up.

Football seems really simple sometimes. Round pegs round holes. You have more players, pass the ball to create space, run off the ball to isolate and attack. Cross the ball to the back stick for the big man. When you play with width you create space through the middle as well. Don't isolate our own front man.

Just listening to LJs interview with Radio Bristol and he even says the same stuff about his tactics and not creating space. If you want an answer to what more I want from our team. I'd like him to not keep making the same errors. We often start slow and have to change things. Right first time please. It shouldn't take the team until half time to work out they need to get into wide areas and cross the ball.

He won’t tho because we are winning,it’s only till we lose a few and then he will change and it’s repeating itself year on year 

I said before the game that Fam ahead of Palmer never looked right last season. But also said that Weimann might make the difference, but the problem is that Weimann did not look very good with Fam either last season. So I was wondering whether to even play Fam. 

Of course now Afobe will be back in, but when Afobe is next unavailable, injured, suspended or in need of a rest, what will LJ do? It's something he has to work out.

18 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I am sure that LJ came away from that game today thinking “I wonder if there is some genius on a forum somewhere who can teach me how to do my job properly?” 

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Palmer didn't have the best of games because Stoke sat back and defended for the rest of the match. Think about it, with 20 players in Stokes half of the pitch, he's not exactly easy for him to operate is it? 

No width, and no threat in behind made sure he had no space in which to operate. Yes when everyone is condensed it makes it harder, but we then made it even harder than that with our tactics and team selection. We're making it harder than it needs to be, which is the point I'm making.

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

No width, and no threat in behind made sure he had no space in which to operate. Yes when everyone is condensed it makes it harder, but we then made it even harder than that with our tactics and team selection. We're making it harder than it needs to be, which is the point I'm making.

No threat in behind? How the hell can Palmer thread through exquisite through balls that he is capable of, when Stoke are camped on their own goal line?

Enjoy the win!

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am sure that LJ came away from that game today thinking “I wonder if there is some genius on a forum somewhere who can teach me how to do my job properly?” 

There's not just one - there's bloody hundreds of 'em!

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Palmer didn't have the best of games because Stoke sat back and defended for the rest of the match. Think about it, with 20 players in Stokes half of the pitch, he's not exactly easy for him to operate is it? 

It doesn’t help without afobe. He makes intelligent runs that stretch a defence and give KP  options, they were all closed off today . I know some love fam for his work rate which imo should be a given for any player. The fact is he’s not a very intelligent footballer and doesn’t make defenders work enough off the ball. 

LJ won’t change, just look at last seasons home games, almost all played with Fanny as a lone striker, once he came back from suspension.  The lack of ideas and persistence on tactics based on hoping our worst players would eventually come good cost us dear!

The home points dropped were what kept us out of contention for the playoffs or perhaps even top 2!

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I think City won the game Prinny........with three regulars missing........City didn’t play well but still won the game and that’s a very positive sign.

It could be that Afobe and Nagy don’t start next week - why change a winning team?

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think City won the game Prinny........with three regulars missing........City didn’t play well but still won the game and that’s a very positive sign.

It could be that Afobe and Nagy don’t start next week - why change a winning team?

Added to this that Stoke are desperate for points, chopping and changing every game made it's very difficult for LJ to predict their set up. We see performance swings happen all the time after the international break and we seen it again today.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yes we won but that was because Fammy got a little wide support, Hunt provided a few good crosses!

Support that he rarely gets from an LJ starting 11! with proper support he will give us more goals, but not if he expected to create his own chances!

Unlike the OP, I “got” the starting formation. We were hugely open at 4-4-2 last week, so to go back to 5-3-2 and see if Fam could do the Afobe role made sense. I’d also note it’s not not playing with wingers that doesn’t play to Fams strengths - it’s not getting crosses in, and with 5-3-2 and Rowe/Hunt having licence, we should have been able to do that. So starting lineup gets a pass from me, and is not a lesson learnt.

What didn’t make sense was the sub. It was reasonable to go more attacking, but the sub and reversion to 4-4-2 meant (on paper at least), we’d nullify in a large part the ability of fullbacks to get forward. Nothing wrong with that in theory as long as you can get the width elsewhere, but in going for Semenyo over Eliasson at that point, we ended up with a front six - four of which could play wide - AW, JB, KP, AS, but none of which have naturally their best position wide. That means, with an opposition dropping, you naturally logjam the centre.

Nothing wrong with starting team. Intent right on sub, execution wrong if any criticism in my book

8 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Yes we won but that was because Fammy got a little wide support, Hunt provided a few good crosses!

Support that he rarely gets from an LJ starting 11! with proper support he will give us more goals, but not if he expected to create his own chances!

LJ mentioned width in his post match interview “doesn’t matter where it comes from”.

27 minutes ago, dave36 said:

So we only won because players did their jobs properly? Well ummmm can’t argue with that I guess.

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Over the moon with 3 points.

Whether people are bothered or not by the fact we really weren’t very good today, I suppose is up to them. 

Are people interested in our actual performance? 

To be fair if performances dip over a period we will drop too many points. But there is too much micro analysis of every game we play these days. Johnson mentioned in his interview that the current aim is to improve performance. Clearly he should look on here first to find out what he needs to do.

Archived