Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

General Zod

Han-Noah Massengo

Recommended Posts

Hats off to the kid.  New club, new country, 18 years old, very little first team football under his belt and necessity has meant no time to ease him in.  Never lets anyone down and every game he shows glimpses of what is to come.  His ball into the box for Semenyo’s chance today was sublime. So impressed with him and I’m sure he will only get better.  He’s going to be quite some talent.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

18 years old and in the ‘engine room’

On the rare occasion a youngster does play, it’s normally out on the wing or upfront

Going to be some player 

Agreed.

I don't know how many free kicks he got us today but there were a couple that stopped the momentum of Stoke.

He is years above his age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

When Nagy comes back will he keep his place or will LJ try to accommodate him? 

No question should play, him, Nagy and Palmer together would be special...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

When Nagy comes back will he keep his place or will LJ try to accommodate him? 

What a nice problem for LJ :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

No question should play, him, Nagy and Palmer together would be special...

Brownhill?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Nagy’s back I imagine he will be rested.  I guess at 18 there’s a danger you over play him and burn him out.  I would like to see him with Brownhill and Nagy in midfield.  Lots of energy in those 3.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Hats off to the kid.  New club, new country, 18 years old, very little first team football under his belt and necessity has meant no time to ease him in.  Never lets anyone down and every game he shows glimpses of what is to come.  His ball into the box for Semenyo’s chance today was sublime. So impressed with him and I’m sure he will only get better.  He’s going to be quite some talent.

Damn right. When Nagy comes in to sit in front of the back four, there's a good chance that Massengo drops to the bench. We might miss him though and need to find a way back in for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Brownhill?

All about opinions, personally in the games they have played Nagy and Massengo are to me consistently performing at a high level. For me Brownhill does that sometimes but equally sometimes has games where he seems to exert little influence. All academic as LJ won't drop Brownhill anyway!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

All about opinions, personally in the games they have played Nagy and Massengo are to me consistently performing at a high level. For me Brownhill does that sometimes but equally sometimes has games where he seems to exert little influence. All academic as LJ won't drop Brownhill anyway!

And rightly so, he is the heartbeat of the team. Massengo and Nagy are the quality and energy to go next to him that we have been missing for 18months or more.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, General Zod said:

When Nagy’s back I imagine he will be rested.  I guess at 18 there’s a danger you over play him and burn him out.  I would like to see him with Brownhill and Nagy in midfield.  Lots of energy in those 3.

My biggest concern is that he'll get cropped by a seasoned cynical pro... Warnock style. Was having this discussion with a Boro fan after our last home game who agreed..... let's hope not🤞

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how good is our scouting!

This kid has champions league experience, meeting the transfer and wage budget and turning in a double shift when he plays.

For every Engvall..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually thought he got bullied today ( not a massive surprise). If you watch closely he struggles to read the play when it comes to covering ground defensively also. Not a criticism as he is so young but I do feel we have the tendency to build players up too quickly which will only bring more pressure. Made an absolutely cracking pass in the first half that should have been tucked away. Nagy will come straight back in I'd imagine.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, City Cat said:

My biggest concern is that he'll get cropped by a seasoned cynical pro...

....well his barnet could probably do with a trim ...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

18 years old and in the ‘engine room’

On the rare occasion a youngster does play, it’s normally out on the wing or upfront

Going to be some player 

Just like Tommy Doc....ahem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Actually thought he got bullied today ( not a massive surprise). If you watch closely he struggles to read the play when it comes to covering ground defensively also. Not a criticism as he is so young but I do feel we have the tendency to build players up too quickly which will only bring more pressure. Made an absolutely cracking pass in the first half that should have been tucked away. Nagy will come straight back in I'd imagine.

Agree, didn’t think it was one of his better games today, but he’s 18, clearly talented, and will improve with time and experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, City Cat said:

My biggest concern is that he'll get cropped by a seasoned cynical pro... Warnock style. Was having this discussion with a Boro fan after our last home game who agreed..... let's hope not🤞

Pack? 

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just how good is our scouting!

This kid has champions league experience, meeting the transfer and wage budget and turning in a double shift when he plays.

For every Engvall..  

Time for a classic taxi driver story. Was in a cab on the way to the airport last week, city fan driver (who showed me a picture of him with massengo and Nagy in his taxi previously) told me he’d picked up LJ a while back, when asked about gustav apparently LJ told him that they were basically told a pack of lies about what age group the kid had been playing with and certain other falsehoods about his playing time etc. 

While that shocks me that the club would take certain things about a player as  gospel without checking, I am sure it has done a lot to help us be better in the future when scouting. I guess when your model is fairly moneyball esque and looking for the next big thing, you can get sucked in and worried you are going to miss out if you don’t act fast.

anyway, for all the speculation about dirty dealings, it sounds like we were merely the marks in the whole play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get why some have said he isn't ready yet. He's absolute class. Don't really know what to do when Nagy returns. Maybe play all 3. Palmer needs to perform better to keep his place. Great competition for places.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Just like Tommy Doc....ahem

He liked a vodka and a cider allegedly.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Tucked up in bed like a true dedicated pro, or out knocking back the voddies and cider?

You decide

Exactly. Tommy Doherty smoked 20 a day and loved a beer. Can’t compare the two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He liked a vodka and a cider allegedly.

Tommy Doc, David Noble and sod it let's say Alan Brazil

Oh, what a night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Exactly. Tommy Doherty smoked 20 a day and loved a beer. Can’t compare the two 

oh, those.. he did and all

gotta love Tommy

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't get why some have said he isn't ready yet. He's absolute class. Don't really know what to do when Nagy returns. Maybe play all 3. Palmer needs to perform better to keep his place. Great competition for places.

Palmer regressed back to keeping hold of the ball today.

He's only 22 and he will learn when to hold on to it and when to release it quickly.

I gave him a bit of a hard time when watching the game today, but I forgot he's still a kid really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Palmer regressed back to keeping hold of the ball today.

He's only 22 and he will learn when to hold on to it and when to release it quickly.

I gave him a bit of a hard time when watching the game today, but I forgot he's still a kid really.

Makes you realise what a young team we have, Massengo, Brownhill,Palmer, Semenyo, Moore, Periera, Dasilva, Eliasson, O'Dowda all playing regular football and under the age of 24!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Palmer regressed back to keeping hold of the ball today.

He's only 22 and he will learn when to hold on to it and when to release it quickly.

I gave him a bit of a hard time when watching the game today, but I forgot he's still a kid really.

Yep very young. But with Nagy coming back and with Eliasson looking so good, Palmer must play better to keep his place. Would not be against Massengo attacking midfield with Nagy and Brownhill holding. Or even Eliasson floating in the free role, able to go to either flank. Of course Afobe would help Palmer too, but I love the options we have now. Really like Palmer, just hope he can perform well consistently to keep his place. Also still needs to get fitter. Was really struggling early in 2nd half against Boro.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Makes you realise what a young team we have, Massengo, Brownhill,Palmer, Semenyo, Moore, Periera, Dasilva, Eliasson, O'Dowda all playing regular football and under the age of 24!!

It’s crazy when you see how young they are.  Bound to have a few off days but more exciting than a team of journeymen.   Having said that, don’t they say that ‘you can’t win anything with kids’ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Makes you realise what a young team we have, Massengo, Brownhill,Palmer, Semenyo, Moore, Periera, Dasilva, Eliasson, O'Dowda all playing regular football and under the age of 24!!

Exactly.

Quite a few still qualify for u-23 football.

Exciting times :yes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He plays like a seasoned pro, it's quite unbelievable. From todays game, quite late on when Stoke were looking for the equaliser. He held the ball in the corner, put his body in between two stoke men and won us a free kick! He's special for an 18 year old, no doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep very young. But with Nagy coming back and with Eliasson looking so good, Palmer must play better to keep his place. Would not be against Massengo attacking midfield with Nagy and Brownhill holding. Or even Eliasson floating in the free role, able to go to either flank. Of course Afobe would help Palmer too, but I love the options we have now. Really like Palmer, just hope he can perform well consistently to keep his place. Also still needs to get fitter. Was really struggling early in 2nd half against Boro.

and yet in a game where there is a distinct lack of quality KP always has that pass in his locker to win a match. For me, he plays.. also I don't think he was much poorer than anyone today. They got the result against a 10 man, time-wasting side. Job done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can all see the potential in Han Noah.  At 18, he doesn't quute have the physical strength yet for this league but that will come in time.  I would like to see him being a bit more solid in his tackling.

he has been thrown in at the deep end a bit it with Nagy being injured but he has certainly held his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

All about opinions, personally in the games they have played Nagy and Massengo are to me consistently performing at a high level. For me Brownhill does that sometimes but equally sometimes has games where he seems to exert little influence. All academic as LJ won't drop Brownhill anyway!

So on your basis, you drop Palmer, not Brownhill..! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I think we can all see the potential in Han Noah.  At 18, he doesn't quute have the physical strength yet for this league but that will come in time.  I would like to see him being a bit more solid in his tackling.

he has been thrown in at the deep end a bit it with Nagy being injured but he has certainly held his own.

Agree with most of that but saying he doesn't have the strength yet you would like him to be more physical in tackling seems like an oxymoron to me. I personally dont think strong tackles will be his game even after he 'fills out'. Hes far too clever a footballer for that.

I think Nagy's injury has forced LJ's hand to a certain degree to play HNM and there is no doubting his quality but he is still a kid. You can't play an 18 year old every game in the Championship without fear of burning him out. Especially one who is still sleight of frame.

I've kind of suspected that the plan is for him to replace Brownhill next season after we've sold Josh for £millions to a another team. Yeah, JB is quality and will get better no doubt, but HNM has a higher potential.

It's always been part of our ethos. The more money we make from player sales, the more we can spend on young players, who, if we train them properly, we can sell for higher fees, and we can then spend more money on young players with higher potential and we go again.....and on and on......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

and yet in a game where there is a distinct lack of quality KP always has that pass in his locker to win a match. For me, he plays.. also I don't think he was much poorer than anyone today. They got the result against a 10 man, time-wasting side. Job done

I'd play him too. Just think his place in the side is under threat with such quality competition in midfield. So he has to play well consistently to keep his place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, City Cat said:

My biggest concern is that he'll get cropped by a seasoned cynical pro... Warnock style. Was having this discussion with a Boro fan after our last home game who agreed..... let's hope not🤞

Some irony from your Boro mate there I think, seem to remember Adam Clayton doing his best to crop Han atleast twice v them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Naggy and Messengo the best two midfielders weve had in years now some knob wants to leave out the young un.

Think the point being made was that he’s only 18 and don’t want him to burn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

oh, those.. he did and all

gotta love Tommy

Remember the time when Tins was in charge, got subbed at HT and was in the Tobacco Factory Bar before I’d got back from the FT whistle. Classic TD.  Where is he these days ? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TomF said:

Remember the time when Tins was in charge, got subbed at HT and was in the Tobacco Factory Bar before I’d got back from the FT whistle. Classic TD.  Where is he these days ? 

I think he`s into property renovation or something similar nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Agree with most of that but saying he doesn't have the strength yet you would like him to be more physical in tackling seems like an oxymoron to me. I personally dont think strong tackles will be his game even after he 'fills out'. Hes far too clever a footballer for that.

I think Nagy's injury has forced LJ's hand to a certain degree to play HNM and there is no doubting his quality but he is still a kid. You can't play an 18 year old every game in the Championship without fear of burning him out. Especially one who is still sleight of frame.

I've kind of suspected that the plan is for him to replace Brownhill next season after we've sold Josh for £millions to a another team. Yeah, JB is quality and will get better no doubt, but HNM has a higher potential.

It's always been part of our ethos. The more money we make from player sales, the more we can spend on young players, who, if we train them properly, we can sell for higher fees, and we can then spend more money on young players with higher potential and we go again.....and on and on......

 

Yeah it's a strategy learnt from Leicester and Southampton and will hopefully be equally successful 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looking forward to the Swansea game and watching all the new guys in the team. Not been able to get down

to the Gate due to a long drawn out illness . Will be in the Heineken lounge with the prawn sandwich brigade :blush: 

as a treat for me and my two boys. Massengo, Nagy, Williams all look an upgrade to the team  can't wait.

Shame Kalas got unjured. COYR.

 

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

So looking forward to the Swansea game and watching all the new guys in the team. Not been able to get down

to the Gate due to a long drawn out illness . Will be in the Heineken lounge with the prawn sandwich brigade :blush: 

as a treat for me and my two boys. Massengo, Nagy, Williams all look an upgrade to the team  can't wait.

Shame Kalas got unjured. COYR.

 

Yes re kalas, and Dasilva too.. how lj is still managing to grind out results like this, with 2 fit midfielders, a journeyman in at left back and half a first 11 out injured is frankly a miracle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah it's a strategy learnt from Leicester and Southampton and will hopefully be equally successful 

I agree some want messengo and nagy to play like pack or marvin elliot with crunching tackles . That is not  the style of play we are going for and generally modern football is moving away from . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...