IGNORED

Home Match Drinking

TuxHarry

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can I just say how pleased I am to see Mad Cyril back amongst us.

Went quiet for far too long.

He’s been inside for drink driving.Got caught whilst trying to park on the centre circle.

47 minutes ago, Judda said:

Wedlocks got knocked down about 10 years ago!

Good point, ok Ship & Castle it is then and six pints of 'rough' followed by a Clark's pie.

Actually more likely to be a regular latte these days for me. Still, I genuinely love the fact that a day out at City was that mental when I was in my teens and twenties, yet has transitioned into into the most pleasant customer experience now I'm in my fifties.

Do I miss the old raucous and violent days at football? Yeah of course, like I miss Clash and Specials gigs. 

Do I want to go back? Nah, pour us another glass of Malbec and stick Sky on. 

5 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Lions, Luckwell, Spanish Bar and Rising Sun usually for a 'quick one for the road' about 2:56, can't remember the last time i actually saw the kick off???

If I am edging down the row to my seat at 2.59, that is perfect timing.

For me, usually park up in Southville 12 ish, catch up with people, wander to one or more of TF, the brewery tap room and Rising Sun. If I am staying over in Bristol, usually turn up at the game half-cut, and get steadily worse after the match, otherwise take it steady and responsible so I am good for driving home.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Get to the ground for 2:15, might have one before hand but that’s it. 

Prefer to watch the game with a clear head so I can analyse what’s going on properly, if I started at 11 I doubt I’d find my way to the ground!

4 hours drinking and you wouldn’t find your way to the ground? Shambles.

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Good point, ok Ship & Castle it is then and six pints of 'rough' followed by a Clark's pie.

Actually more likely to be a regular latte these days for me. Still, I genuinely love the fact that a day out at City was that mental when I was in my teens and twenties, yet has transitioned into into the most pleasant customer experience now I'm in my fifties.

Do I miss the old raucous and violent days at football? Yeah of course, like I miss Clash and Specials gigs. 

Do I want to go back? Nah, pour us another glass of Malbec and stick Sky on. 

Six pints of rough in the Ship and Castle?i could only manage two and even then I knew I had a drink!! Happy Days

• Admin
11 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Sarcasm not a strong point? 

Personally I prefer to watch the game and be able to fully enjoy it, four hours on the booze would stop that...

Each to their own though

I tried watching City without any cider on board and I have never been so nervous watching a game in my life . .. 

Apart from the obvious pubs that are no longer there (e.g. Wedlock’s and the Ship & Castle), did anyone else used to drink in The Plough near the top of Winterstoke Road? The building is still there, but it’s flats now. I had a spell of going there in the early 1990s because it was close to my bus stop and was usually relatively quiet. I definitely went there before the home match v Liverpool (not sure if it was the one when the floodlights failed or the re-played game) because I remember having a quick chat with a couple of scousers who were in there. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many years ago it was the Plume and/or the Nova Scotia followed by the assault course to the ground.

Jumping down the wall then going over the iron bridge? Used to use the Scotia for pre-match drinks ages ago and went in there fairly recently and it hadn't changed a bit! Which was nice. 

On 15/09/2019 at 18:54, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to use the Brislington park and ride but now my car isn’t of use anymore I’ll either get the bus or train to and from keynsham, unless I’m going straight back to London on the coach. I might have a can of pop on my way down from North St but that’s it. 

Campaign For Real Ale #Parson St Station ….

Platform Bar would be much appreciated and increase Parson St Station usage big time..! @Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Jumping down the wall then going over the iron bridge? Used to use the Scotia for pre-match drinks ages ago and went in there fairly recently and it hadn't changed a bit! Which was nice. 

Plus railings to get to that wall ( perhaps we didn't need to go over any but we did anyway!) and jumping over more railings after crossing the road to get into the park.

First went to the Nova in about '76 and apart from the dartboard and fruit machine going, it hasn't changed. Even still got a bottle of promotion ale behind the bar.

Of all the pubs I've been to in Bristol over the years it's the least changed, and long may it stay that way!

15 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Sarcasm not a strong point? 

Personally I prefer to watch the game and be able to fully enjoy it, four hours on the booze would stop that...

Each to their own though

Boring lightweight then. 4 hours drinking before a game is absolutely standard, you ought to do some of the away days our fans do. You can double the 4 hours pre-match.

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Wow, obviously A LOT of matchday imbibing going on...

Interesting to see how much, reckon that'd be surprising ….

So anyone want to share how many pints they personally get down their neck on an average home/away matchday? 

(psst, please be honest but careful if your unsuspecting better half knows your user name! :) )

Home games 5/6 pints pre match, 5/6 after, away games if starting at 7am probably about 15 over the course of the day.

Sounds a lot, but if you think about it 5/6 pints in 4 hours isn’t a lot, also 15 pints over 18 or so hours is a lot but it’s about what most people would do drinking over that amount of time.

Football is the highlight of my week and the only time I go out boozing anymore tbh.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many years ago it was the Plume and/or the Nova Scotia followed by the assault course to the ground.

These days it's still the Nova, but after the match rather than before - completely lost interest in drinking before the game.

We used to meet at the Pump House and navigate the same assault course. Still cannot recall why we picked there, it was inconvenient for all of us.

Do recall being in there before the floodlight failure game v Liverpool. A coach load of Scousers arrived and did a locust job in the place. 

52 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

Boring lightweight then. 4 hours drinking before a game is absolutely standard, you ought to do some of the away days our fans do. You can double the 4 hours pre-match.

You’re obviously absolutely massive then, I bow to your superior drinking ability...

One day, you’ll realise that the amount of alcohol you consume during a day doesn’t make you in any way bigger or better than anyone else...

Archived