Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

TuxHarry

Home Match Drinking

We were discussing tonight what the plan would be pre Swansea next Saturday and it makes you realise what great options we have available to us with AG situated where it is, Hotwells, Waterfront, Bedminster etc all to choose from....

So, out of interest, what’re your usual drinking routes on a matchday and what time do you start it all?

We tend to do from 11am Barley Mow -> Assembly -> Masonic and then sometimes a sneaky one in the concourse before. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

I like to warm up on gin and tonics in Clifton at 10am, then switch to stellas on the harbourside, followed by machine gunning some sambucas on Hotwells. 

Challenge is getting them all down quick enough to be able to still find a parking space near the ground.

be careful you don't get caught

• Haha 3

Spoons at Temple Meads, The Colosseum, walk along the Harbourside to The Orchard then either a can on the wall or one in the concourse. 

• Like 1

If I’m meeting mates that support the away team I use the Ashton 

bit posh for my liking but away fan friendly and can have a good chat in nice surroundings 

I drive to the game. I drive home from the game. Then I put the kids to bed. Then I might have a beer while watching Strictly with the Mrs. Then she falls asleep while I watch MOTD.

Yes, I am great fun at parties, thanks for asking.

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I like to warm up on gin and tonics in Clifton at 10am, then switch to stellas on the harbourside, followed by machine gunning some sambucas on Hotwells. 

Challenge is getting them all down quick enough to be able to still find a parking space near the ground.

Must be your identical twin brother I have been going to the match with then, he seems to be reeling after a couple of cans of Top Deck.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

Used to the the Coopers but the last few years it’s been the Supporters Club. 

I rarely drink more than a pint these days tho. If I do I’m off for a piss mid way thru the first half......it’s an age thing........:dunno:

• Aubergine 1

I used to use the Brislington park and ride but now my car isn’t of use anymore I’ll either get the bus or train to and from keynsham, unless I’m going straight back to London on the coach. I might have a can of pop on my way down from North St but that’s it. 

I used to go to The Coopers and then for a while went to the Hen & Chicken because there was more likelihood of getting a seat for my kids. Nowadays when I’m with my kids and Dad (he can’t walk very far now) we tend to have a beer in the concourse (sometimes the SC&T bar, but that gets crowded before the game). On the occasions I go to games alone I quite like to visit pubs like the Orchard, The Cottage or the Nova Scotia. Last season I went to the Miner’s Arms for the first time in years - I liked it in there. The Bristol Beer Factory pub opposite the Spanish bar is also really good. 

The huge number of pubs relatively close by is one of the reasons I’m really pleased we stayed at Ashton Gate rather than moving to Ashton Vale. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I drive to the game. I drive home from the game. Then I put the kids to bed. Then I might have a beer while watching Strictly with the Mrs. Then she falls asleep while I watch MOTD.

Yes, I am great fun at parties, thanks for asking.

Omg. This is me. 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

If I’m meeting mates that support the away team I use the Ashton 

bit posh for my liking but away fan friendly and can have a good chat in nice surroundings 

I used to use it when it was the Smythe Arms ( a real pub) now I hurry past it to get to the Coopers....

• Like 1

The Ship by St Mary Redcliffe Church then The White Hart, Bemmy then The Assembly then The Masonic then The Spotted Cow .... then in the concourse at the ground ... then oblivion not long after ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I stay "dry". The amount of driving I do demands that. 

I too stay dry. The fact I used to be a massive pisshead demands that :laugh:

• Like 2

If I drive, Coopers for one.

if I’m meeting mates, Masonic unless it’s an early one then ‘Spoons. Might pop in somewhere on the way down North st. but usually end up in the Coopers. Used the fan park previously but not lately.

On 15 September 2019 at 08:40, Mad Cyril said:

You coppers are all the same!

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2019 at 08:40, Mad Cyril said:

Do what I do. Be responsible and get the kids to drive you there while you sober up. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Do what I do. Be responsible and get the kids to drive you there while you sober up. 

I am hardly likely to put a child seat in the front of the car. That would be irresponsible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am hardly likely to put a child seat in the front of the car. That would be irresponsible.

Can I just say how pleased I am to see Mad Cyril back amongst us.

Went quiet for far too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He’s been inside for drink driving.Got caught whilst trying to park on the centre circle.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't feed his ego. I sit next to him at the match, and he'll be full of it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

The Happy Landings!🤣👍

Landings at 9. Goodies Cafe for 11. Hen and chicken for 12 , wedlock’s for 2. Straight into the open end at 3. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, redsince82 said:

Landings at 9. Goodies Cafe for 11. Hen and chicken for 12 , wedlock’s for 2. Straight into the open end at 3. 

Wedlocks got knocked down about 10 years ago!

• Confused 1
  • Snake 1

Walk into the centre for a Subway foot long with me boy . Then a nice walk along the harbour side to the ground stopping off for pop and marshmallows 

Get to the ground for 2:15, might have one before hand but that’s it. 

Prefer to watch the game with a clear head so I can analyse what’s going on properly, if I started at 11 I doubt I’d find my way to the ground!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Judda said:

Wedlocks got knocked down about 10 years ago!

Good point, ok Ship & Castle it is then and six pints of 'rough' followed by a Clark's pie.

Actually more likely to be a regular latte these days for me. Still, I genuinely love the fact that a day out at City was that mental when I was in my teens and twenties, yet has transitioned into into the most pleasant customer experience now I'm in my fifties.

Do I miss the old raucous and violent days at football? Yeah of course, like I miss Clash and Specials gigs. 

Do I want to go back? Nah, pour us another glass of Malbec and stick Sky on. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Lions, Luckwell, Spanish Bar and Rising Sun usually for a 'quick one for the road' about 2:56, can't remember the last time i actually saw the kick off😮🙄😁

If I am edging down the row to my seat at 2.59, that is perfect timing.

For me, usually park up in Southville 12 ish, catch up with people, wander to one or more of TF, the brewery tap room and Rising Sun. If I am staying over in Bristol, usually turn up at the game half-cut, and get steadily worse after the match, otherwise take it steady and responsible so I am good for driving home.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Get to the ground for 2:15, might have one before hand but that’s it. 

Prefer to watch the game with a clear head so I can analyse what’s going on properly, if I started at 11 I doubt I’d find my way to the ground!

4 hours drinking and you wouldn’t find your way to the ground? Shambles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TuxHarry said:

4 hours drinking and you wouldn’t find your way to the ground? Shambles.

Sarcasm not a strong point? 

Personally I prefer to watch the game and be able to fully enjoy it, four hours on the booze would stop that...

Each to their own though

Edited by JBFC II

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Good point, ok Ship & Castle it is then and six pints of 'rough' followed by a Clark's pie.

Actually more likely to be a regular latte these days for me. Still, I genuinely love the fact that a day out at City was that mental when I was in my teens and twenties, yet has transitioned into into the most pleasant customer experience now I'm in my fifties.

Do I miss the old raucous and violent days at football? Yeah of course, like I miss Clash and Specials gigs. 

Do I want to go back? Nah, pour us another glass of Malbec and stick Sky on. 

Six pints of rough in the Ship and Castle?i could only manage two and even then I knew I had a drink!! Happy Days

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Sarcasm not a strong point? 

Personally I prefer to watch the game and be able to fully enjoy it, four hours on the booze would stop that...

Each to their own though

I tried watching City without any cider on board and I have never been so nervous watching a game in my life . .. 

• Like 4

Many years ago it was the Plume and/or the Nova Scotia followed by the assault course to the ground.

These days it's still the Nova, but after the match rather than before - completely lost interest in drinking before the game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redsince82 said:

Not surprised you could only manage 2 in the wedlocks after scooping 12 up the chicken.... 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

The Happy Landings!🤣👍

What a pub . 

Lions for me then a sneaky can in the shop . Don’t drink in the ground anymore. Awful pint 

Apart from the obvious pubs that are no longer there (e.g. Wedlock’s and the Ship & Castle), did anyone else used to drink in The Plough near the top of Winterstoke Road? The building is still there, but it’s flats now. I had a spell of going there in the early 1990s because it was close to my bus stop and was usually relatively quiet. I definitely went there before the home match v Liverpool (not sure if it was the one when the floodlights failed or the re-played game) because I remember having a quick chat with a couple of scousers who were in there. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many years ago it was the Plume and/or the Nova Scotia followed by the assault course to the ground.

Jumping down the wall then going over the iron bridge? Used to use the Scotia for pre-match drinks ages ago and went in there fairly recently and it hadn't changed a bit! Which was nice.