IGNORED

Korey Smith Racially Abused

Olé

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

Does make one wonder about the inadequacies in their lives, that they have to seek to belittle others to make themselves feel better.

Yeah all these people hide behind faceless accounts, I bet if you tracked them down they’d be some of the saddest most pathetic people on the the planet and you’d almost feel sorry for them. No one content in their own life would feel the need to send people that sort of abuse online.

Great post Ole

Korey Smith & his wife , and boys appear to be the epitome of a loving caring family a genuine shining example and role models  to many of the 5 minute relationship dearth that haunt modern society

His affection and words towards his mother at their wedding speaks volumes of the lad

If I had sons , Korey Smith would be the finest of role models

19 minutes ago, Olé said:

It’s a form of bullying but because of social media instead of targeting the supposed weak kid in school (or work), 

the weak and jealous target those that are probably everything they want to be anyway I hope they get caught and punished appropriately!

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m calm . 

Social Media has to take a lot of blame. And has enabled these vile bastards to spout their shit to easily. Something needs to change 

Agreed. People see people like Katie Hopkins get rewarded with work in national newspapers for their vitriol, they think this is the norm

Hate generally is on the rise, whether it’s race, nationality, or anything else that marks out an individual as different to the person spouting this stuff. Social media has become the toxic channel by which much of this vitriol is spread. If you don’t recognise that, whatever your political persuasion, then you are either very blinkered, or you have been living in a cave without internet access for the past 10 years.

53 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I genuinely cannot understand why more isn’t being done by organisations such as Instagram and/or the police to identify these cretins so they can be deservedly punished. 

Whilst I agree sadly this won't change as long as the big companies like fb/instagram etc... are filling there pockets with money. Just like how big companies have never cared about climate change aslong as they make money .

Either we all boycott social media outlets or what i think we should do is use it far less as technology is worryingly over used!!! 

Don't do social media: simple.

I do not understand why people feel the need to broadcast to the world their relationships, family, hobbies, holidays, and even meals.

Every sympathy for Korey as he comes across as a decent chap but because he's a decent chap he should drop Facebook, Instagram and whatever and leave it to the trolls and pond life that infest it.

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I do not understand why people feel the need to broadcast to the world their relationships, family, hobbies, holidays, and even meals.

Every sympathy for Korey as he comes across as a decent chap but because he's a decent chap he should drop Facebook, Instagram and whatever and leave it to the trolls and pond life that infest it.

Exactly.

Well said.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It would be a good move to ditch platforms that refuse to self-regulate. People need to feel strongly enough, and in enough numbers, to make it work - until then apathy rules.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Social media is built on user generated content. Exactly like a football forum.

And you're posting on here. 

(Not having a pop at you, just wanted to point out that you do use social media).

11 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I believe the message was sent to his wife.

Unfortunately, her career is social media. These ‘influencers’ are more likely to be abused as they have to spend a considerate amount of time on their sharing their lives.

50 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Social media is built on user generated content. Exactly like a football forum.

And you're posting on here. 

(Not having a pop at you, just wanted to point out that you do use social media).

I appreciate that, and the last time I tried to read OTIB at work it was blocked as being "social media".

I however think that there is one huge difference between a forum and other social media: anonymity.

This isn't a shield to hide behind but rather it means that what is important is what you say and how you say it rather than who you are, what house you live in or what car you drive.

To take the OP here: @Olé. I don't know him from Adam (other than knowing he was the excellent admin of the previous Bristol City Netcentre) but he posts (IMO) excellent match analyses and generally thoughtful posts and I judge him on what he posts.

This is very different to a personalised platform where who you are, what you have matters as much as what you say mainly because much of the content is pictures rather than words.

It also jumbles together everything so it's not just your views on matters Bristol City but your politics, what you look like etc.

Even on here I rarely read the politics forum because I don't want to start disliking a poster on the football forum because of their political views.

Facebook and the like however bleeds everything together until you end up with a distilled virtual simulacrum with which, because it appears as a person, other simulacra start getting personal and nasty with it even seeping into real life. I know a middle aged woman who was done for assaulting another middle aged woman for something she had posted about her on Facebook.

Did I mention that I don't like social media? ?

40 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If anybody on here is friends with that barrington guy from birmingham on social media.

Forward it to him, and im sure he would be willing to take this lowlife out for some community work.

He knows how to deal with scumbags like this.

I reckon Mark Little , Flinty And Big Wilbs could probably do a reasonable job

I would imagine you would have to be pretty empty on the inside to get any kind of personal reward from spending your time posting things like that on the internet. Wonder if whoever posted it proudly shows it to his friends or just looks at it themselves now and again to remind themselves of how they are winning in life?

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm a touch uncomfortable about this - millions of people use social media in the way in which it's intended, to communicate with large numbers of other people quickly and respectfully. What you're saying here is that because a minority are trolls he should stop using it. A better response is highlight it (and certainly to the law and site owners), then carry on as before to show the idiots they won't succeed in bullying. 

Appreciate the latter is more easily said then done....

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Although I agree with most of this, Korey should obviously be able to use social media freely. Personally I have never typed a single word on social network, unless OTIB is classed as social network? I see there is a reason for it, but not sure telling people what you have had for lunch or whatever is the reason? Back to Korey, absolutely disgusting ( but unfortunately not surprising behaviour) from the moron who abused Korey & his family. A great example imo of a decent person/family man is Korey. Have had the pleasure to have a quick chat with him & was happy to interrupt his coffee to talk to me & my son. Any abuse/discrimination is abhorrent & unfortunately social networking does ( in their own minds at least ) give people ( for want of a better word )  the power to spout this vile crap. Keep smiling everyone, don’t let the ****ers grind you down! COYR 

12 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Although I agree with most of this, Korey should obviously be able to use social media freely. Personally I have never typed a single word on social network, unless OTIB is classed as social network? I see there is a reason for it, but not sure telling people what you have had for lunch or whatever is the reason? Back to Korey, absolutely disgusting ( but unfortunately not surprising behaviour) from the moron who abused Korey & his family. A great example imo of a decent person/family man is Korey. Have had the pleasure to have a quick chat with him & was happy to interrupt his coffee to talk to me & my son. Any abuse/discrimination is abhorrent & unfortunately social networking does ( in their own minds at least ) give people ( for want of a better word )  the power to spout this vile crap. Keep smiling everyone, don’t let the ****ers grind you down! COYR 

But that's not the only reason people use it though. I use Facebook to keep in touch with old school and university friends (and seeing how much more interesting their lives are than mine), Instagram (rarely) for F1 behind the scenes and Twitter for football and funny things.

To say people shouldn't use Social Media to avoid the abuse is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la". I know you haven't said this Simon, but someone further up did.

Archived