IGNORED

Korey Smith Racially Abused

Olé

Lately it seems to have been a trend, especially in the sense that one person does it, and someone else/trolls sees it and thinks it is funny and wants to add fuel to the fire for no reason. I'm not sure if it is people being racist because they are ****'s or racist to troll and aren't quite aware of the gravity of the matter they are dealing with and just think it's funny. 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m calm . 

Social Media has to take a lot of blame. And has enabled these vile bastards to spout their shit to easily. Something needs to change 

Make social media companies jointly and severally liable for anything posted (published) through their medium, aimed at any citizen or resident of the UK. They would then be jumping over backward to verify all user accounts to help protect themselves, as it would be in their financial interests to see that miscreants were prosecuted for any wrongdoings.

If you feel strongly about an issue that social media companies refuse to address, then you can always boycott them. You won't catch me on twitter, snapchat, instagram, or facebook or anything 'social media like' except youtube (or a couple of internet forums if we're counting them).

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

But that's not the only reason people use it though. I use Facebook to keep in touch with old school and university friends (and seeing how much more interesting their lives are than mine), Instagram (rarely) for F1 behind the scenes and Twitter for football and funny things.

To say people shouldn't use Social Media to avoid the abuse is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la". I know you haven't said this Simon, but someone further up did.

I said it; and if you are using it with privacy settings and in closed groups then yes you can use it safely and it can be of value.

However to use it on open settings on a platform which anyone in the world can join and over which regulation is notoriously poor, slow, and reactive and not expect someone somewhere to be offensive is naive.

You don't get this sort of thing on OTIB for one simple reason: it is actively monitored and regulated.

If you choose to post on a platform that isn't actively monitored and regulated then you are opening yourself up for possible abuse.

Of course one "shouldn't" be open to that but then I "should" be able to leave my car unlocked with my wallet on the dashboard while I go for a walk. 

The world is however different in reality to what we think it should be.

23 minutes ago, grifty said:

But that's not the only reason people use it though. I use Facebook to keep in touch with old school and university friends (and seeing how much more interesting their lives are than mine), Instagram (rarely) for F1 behind the scenes and Twitter for football and funny things.

To say people shouldn't use Social Media to avoid the abuse is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "la la la". I know you haven't said this Simon, but someone further up did.

You saved yourself there!? COYR 

3 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I genuinely cannot understand why more isn’t being done by organisations such as Instagram and/or the police to identify these cretins so they can be deservedly punished. 

Said it before to have these types of accounts you need to create an account using a credit card / debit card. If you or someone else posts such comments on an account in your name , you’re responsible and subject to any prosecution relevant 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

I don't want to divert this from an issue of racism (The British Empire) but this is also about abuse. Forms of hatred and poor behaviour are always legitimised when in a crowd. It allowed a healthy disconnect I remember years ago going to the football as a teenager with my dad,  singing abuse that would never leave the ground and be thought of much after the game (but carried on in the pub). 

Social media is uncomfortable because the abuse no longer seems okay when outside of a crowd, although memes and pile ons have replicated the crowd quite well. Look at all of the abuse  Johnson got a couple of years ago for example, most of it highly personal.

Despicable, but I guess that even pond life have access to computers these days. Korey is a million times the ‘man’ that wrote this bilge so I’m sure it won’t affect him too much. I hope so anyway, also as someone else mentioned great response from the club. 

I feel that's giving publicity to it. So not sure that's a great response. Just post the picture maybe with the caption / hashtag? Or come out much stronger against this racist garbage.

I feel like this is caught in the middle ground? Where we acknowledge it thus giving it publicity, but don't really say or do anything about it.

• Admin

The conjecture, political debate and antagonism have been moved into a thread in the politics section where it belongs, if you wish to continue debate (or bickering) please continue there.  

Personally, I just can't get my head round anyone posting stuff like that - (the abuse, not the political debate).

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Easy fix. People should have to put their card details or ID into these things to be able to register.  No hiding then. 

Harry Maguires suggestion was the best I've seen, every account should be backed up by either a passport or driving license held on record by the provider. You can still post anonymously but as soon as you post anything like this it is instantly traceable by the authorities.

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Harry Maguires suggestion was the best I've seen, every account should be backed up by either a passport or driving license held on record by the provider. You can still post anonymously but as soon as you post anything like this it is instantly traceable by the authorities.

I can't see this ever happening. Twitter would lose millions of users and would not be what it is now imo, as loads of people do not have passport or driving licence, and then most that do would probably not want to send such details. And then I am not sure how easy it is to do, as twitter does not have a huge number of staff as it is. They'd lose a lot of money employing more staff, whilst losing a lot more money from losing many millions of users.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see this ever happening. Twitter would lose millions of users and would not be what it is now imo, as loads of people do not have passport or driving licence, and then most that do would probably not want to send such details. And then I am not sure how easy it is to do, as twitter does not have a huge number of staff as it is. They'd lose a lot of money employing more staff, whilst losing a lot more money from losing many millions of users.

Ok then, Twitter and the like to come up with a workable solution or be shut down?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know many people without either of these documents? They don't cost too much and if you are that determined to use Twitter / Facebook etc then it shouldn't be too much of a deterrent assuming you are going to post reasonable content that won't cause serious offence and upset to people.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Ok then, Twitter and the like to come up with a workable solution or be shut down?

Don't see either being shut down- US based, a lot more robust on speech etc etc.

Unless you mean no longer available in the UK? Unsure I like that approach, Great Firewall of China etc. OTOH there's clearly a problem!

As for the ***** who sent the abuse...

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't see either being shut down- US based, a lot more robust on speech etc etc.

Unless you mean no longer available in the UK? Unsure I like that approach, Great Firewall of China etc. OTOH there's clearly a problem!

As for the ***** who sent the abuse...

I understand but it really shouldn’t be beyond the wit of these organisations to come up with solutions to stop these idiots.

Social media, I've got mixed views on.

Dunno if I agree with @Eddie Hitler . Is useful- keeping in touch with people you know across the country and indeed outside it. Good way of keeping in touch.

That said I don't use it so much myself these days after some issues a few years ago and my social media was fairly open. Now it certainly is not! Mainly WhatsApp now and that's encrypted at both ends- occasionally FB, Twitter but the latter is more to read content I'm interested these days rather than Tweet/engagement with people.

As well as the obvious racism issues, trolling and I'm talking the nasty, vicious, insidious shit because some is fairly nonsensical  not great but not necessarily appalling either- big problem, especially IMO on FB. Sure there is more to put on that list too but that's 2 big problems right there for a start.

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Social media is built on user generated content. Exactly like a football forum.

And you're posting on here. 

(Not having a pop at you, just wanted to point out that you do use social media).

There is a very big difference between OTIB and the public medias.

We use "Pen Names" to protect our anonymity. We have moderators who are very vigilant about anything out of place.

I'm very sad for the Korey Smith family. I have never met him but from his actions on the field of play, I believe him to be a credit to his family, his employer, BCFC, and the supporters from whom I have never heard any comments that are offensive or obscene.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

There is a very big difference between OTIB and the public medias.

We use "Pen Names" to protect our anonymity. We have moderators who are very vigilant about anything out of place.

I'm very sad for the Korey Smith family. I have never met him but from his actions on the field of play, I believe him to be a credit to his family, his employer, BCFC, and the supporters from whom I have never heard any comments that are offensive or obscene.

Pen names can remain even with ID verification beign introduced, they could just be stored by whomever the provider is just in case they are needed for criminal activity.

5 hours ago, daored said:

Said it before to have these types of accounts you need to create an account using a credit card / debit card. If you or someone else posts such comments on an account in your name , you’re responsible and subject to any prosecution relevant 

With the amounts of hackers and internet fraud this would be a nightmare. I get what you are saying but hackers would have a field day

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I don't know many people without either of these documents? They don't cost too much and if you are that determined to use Twitter / Facebook etc then it shouldn't be too much of a deterrent assuming you are going to post reasonable content that won't cause serious offence and upset to people.

You're thinking exclusively about first world countries like ours though. Across the world many people use these sites for example to expose corruption of their state or whatever, and have to do so anonymously for fear of reprisal. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the state having such involvement in what I do or don't want to post online - because of the actions of a few idiots. How could you possibly enforce something like that worldwide?

Maybe you're more trusting than me, but the idea of a country having a perfect record of everything you've ever said or done online is a bit too 1984 for me.

13 hours ago, Olé said:

I see Korey has become the latest player to get it online and call it out, and most unforgivably a comment about his kids which for anyone who sees the stuff he shares - quite possibly the happiest most wholesome family in the world - would have to make you seriously depraved and inadequate to channel your energy into that level of hate against someone so positive.

Hopefully ijust a 12 year old Gashead after one too many beers, but this stuff seems to be on the rise and social media is always the source. Why do people feel the need to hide behind keyboards to say things they wouldn't say in real life. Not to imply racism has measure or merit but how anyone can find Korey and his family anything other than outstanding role models is beyond me.

It’s disgusting and just unbelievable - people seem to be ever more hateful these days, I just cannot understand it. 

Any reason to believe it was the work of a gashead though? Not sure why you went there ...

13 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Pen names can remain even with ID verification beign introduced, they could just be stored by whomever the provider is just in case they are needed for criminal activity.

Problem with ID verification is that the Social media companies cannot be trusted with the data that they already hold, let alone even more of it, like with anything that is free they are selling you and your data to make money, no way you can allow them to have more than they already have. 

6 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Problem with ID verification is that the Social media companies cannot be trusted with the data that they already hold, let alone even more of it, like with anything that is free they are selling you and your data to make money, no way you can allow them to have more than they already have. 

The issue is that everyone is great at explaining why something CANNOT be done. The Social Media companies need to come up with answers in terms of what they CAN do to improve the situation significantly.

Surely a small starter for 10 is to ban posts with certain racist key words (N word, C word etc.) in it and report the IP Address to the Police? Yes a determined troll can get round that but that would at least prevent the most blatantly racist posting that Korey Smith was subjected to and put a stop to non IT literate fools having a crack.

I’m sure there are plenty of better solutions than mine (which might be crap but it’s something more than we have currently).

The thought behind some of these ideas such as online protection is fantastic but it is somewhat clouding over the issue. For whatever reason, racial abuse has grown recently, something I have had direct experience of. The message Korey shared or what the presenter on Italian TV said about Lukaku is not acceptable and people should not be identified by the colour of their skin. I get frustrated by someone referring to ‘ the black lad up front’ or ‘ yeah, the black guy’ However easy/lazy it is to identify people in that way, it singles someone out by the colour of their skin, in the two crude examples I’ve given, may not be considered racist by some but the consequences of doing so, doesn’t help.

We have not made much progress on racism it seems. Over the last few years, for several reasons we have gone backwards. Racist thoughts that were suppressed by modern rules of society seem to have gone out of the window. 

People also think they can hide behind the social media self and say what they would never dream of saying to someone’s face. You get it on here - supposedly grown men calling people names. Sad 

I hope the Toad who posted that filth is found and gets what he deserves.

On 15/09/2019 at 08:54, Dollymarie said:

I genuinely cannot understand why more isn’t being done by organisations such as Instagram and/or the police to identify these cretins so they can be deservedly punished. 

Because they don't have to. 

The government do as little as possible too. They know they'd have to spend more on policing if they did, which means asking more tax from their mates and the red trouser wearing brigade. 

Or maybe they could just increase council tax again so the burden is taken by those with the least. I digress. 

Catching most people is very very easy. It's being bothered to catch them that's the issue. 

Archived