IGNORED

Yorkshire derbies

22A

Today we had Barnsley v Leeds and Huddersfield v Sheff W. If Leeds fans were travelling by train, they'd have to change at Huddersfield, just as the Owls fans arrived.

My son was at Uni there and reckons fans cannot travel by train for Yorkshire derbies. Match tickets are issued on the official coaches. I thought it was just us v Cardiff; are all the Yorkshire derbies "bubble" games? I've never heard of a "bubble" being applied in the West Midlands, Lancashire, or London.

Heard the commentator on The Huddersfield v Wednesday game earlier say there'd be 30 Yorkshire derbies this year. 

Not wishing to add to the persecution complex of some Leeds fans, but does this make it harder for Yorkshire teams?

I wasn't aware of a Yorkshire bubble.  Other than the fact they think they are better than everyone else and still live in the 1970s.

57 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Heard the commentator on The Huddersfield v Wednesday game earlier say there'd be 30 Yorkshire derbies this year. 

Not wishing to add to the persecution complex of some Leeds fans, but does this make it harder for Yorkshire teams?

I wasn't aware of a Yorkshire bubble.  Other than the fact they think they are better than everyone else and still live in the 1970s.

I`m guessing they`re including Boro & Hull? That`s the only way I can get it to 30 in the Championship.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Today we had Barnsley v Leeds and Huddersfield v Sheff W. If Leeds fans were travelling by train, they'd have to change at Huddersfield, just as the Owls fans arrived.

My son was at Uni there and reckons fans cannot travel by train for Yorkshire derbies. Match tickets are issued on the official coaches. I thought it was just us v Cardiff; are all the Yorkshire derbies "bubble" games? I've never heard of a "bubble" being applied in the West Midlands, Lancashire, or London.

You may be right about the bubble but Leeds to Barnsley is a direct train line without changes....3 trains per hour - 2 express/1 stopper......none go anywhere near Huddersfield- different line different direction.

Rgds  Mr Pedant !

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Shame for us that the rest of the clubs in our area are a shower of shite..! 

Would be great to have more local games, against the likes of Cheltenham, FGR, Exeter, Yeovil, Torquay, Swindon, Newport... can’t think of any others...! 

Imagine not having to drive for 2,3 or 4 hours each way for almost every away game.

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Imagine not having to drive for 2,3 or 4 hours each way for almost every away game.

When you take a club like Leeds they have nearly half the division within a 1-2hr drive. Owls, Barnsley, Boro, Hull, Huddersfield, Derby, Forest, PNE, Wigan and Blackburn. Even Stoke, Brum and Baggies aren`t that far.

Mind you, everyone`s benefitting by Norwich & Ipswich leaving the party last season.

Was working up there earlier this year for a few days and the thing I noticed was nearly every one up there actually supports a club and most go , maybe not every game but on a more regular basis then down here. There is just so many clubs in Yorkshire/ Lancashire that within a 100 mile radius nearly half the teams in your league are less then a 2 hour drive. 

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

When you take a club like Leeds they have nearly half the division within a 1-2hr drive. Owls, Barnsley, Boro, Hull, Huddersfield, Derby, Forest, PNE, Wigan and Blackburn. Even Stoke, Brum and Baggies aren`t that far.

Mind you, everyone`s benefitting by Norwich & Ipswich leaving the party last season.

Sorry mate just posted the same thing

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Pretty sure Blackburn v Burnley is or has been.

That's hatred tbh, that one.

Was also on SYP advice or more accurately I expect 'advice' that Barnsley v Leeds was 12.30pm on a Sunday and not 3pm or some other slot.

21 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So glad that Sunderland and Newcastle stayed where they were too...

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure Blackburn v Burnley is or has been.

That's hatred tbh, that one.

Was also on SYP advice or more accurately I expect 'advice' that Barnsley v Leeds was 12.30pm on a Sunday and not 3pm or some other slot.

They only got 4400 tickets were normally I think they get about 6000 I was told 

It’s a myth that the bubble applied to the Huddersfield/ Wednesday match, we just got tickets as normal ....in fact we’ve never had that applied even when we play United or Leeds

as for the Yorkshire Derbies stat......there are Derby’s and Derby’s ....for us United is the only one.....Leeds is secondary......Barnsley is sort of one as it’s still South Yorkshire and has the same local media coverage......Forget Middlesbrough and Hull......Yorkshire is a bloody big place and in fact we kicked Hull (Humberside) and Middlesbrough (Teeside) out a few decades ago

more “interesting” than the bubble issue for us at the moment is South Yorkshire Polices restrictions on the use of Hillsborough.....all home fans are banned from exiting the stadium at the Leppings Lane end and have to exit at the Kop end.....this has led to something like a 40% restriction in available tickets in the North Stand (the beautiful one to your left for anyone who has been) as it’s been decided that 10,000 fans all existing via one end is too much

this was as a result of how many fans of both sides complained about SYP’s handling of the Sheffield Derby last season..,, SYP decided to have an “independent” report written which was done by a few blokes from Manchester Uni rocking up for the sold out villa game (4,500 away fans) and making these recommendations....which apply when Luton bring 350 with them!

Talk about the Northern Power house,and improving the train times between Liverpool via Manchester Leeds and Hull

Sheffield station is the largest train station in the U.K. that does not  have ticket gates at 10 million passengers per year

Doncaster is in the same area and has 5 million passengers per year again Doncaster has no ticket gates

Bristol Temple meads has 11 million passengers per year

The reason that Sheffield has no ticket gates,is because no one will pay for a bridge  to gain access to the trams and avoiding going through the statioin area

My guess here is that the bulk of the trouble at Barnsley v Leeds was sparked by Leeds fans in home end? 4 arrests apparently. Bit of a one way rivalry that I reckon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49716448

It's inevitable and especially when there is a pretty close proximity the home ends thing but you sit on your hands if you do!! I mean you don't do it at all but in extremis- there will be plenty of Leeds fans in/around Barnsley eg- not good but inevitable. Even previous booking history doesn't always do it because fans may be local to a certain area and take in some games as a neutral. Address- check! Previous booking history- check!

IF you're properly determined, discreet and resourceful in many instances you'll find a way basically. I'm not talking about getting in to make trouble, just talking about someone getting in and sitting on their hands, watching quietly albeit in the wrong end.

Archived