IGNORED

Bristol Post **** ups

myol'man

Last brought it when I was in Bristol in the summer. Spent about 15 minutes reading it, and that was because there was a few pages on us in it. Rest of the paper took about 3 minutes to skim through, and even then I noticed a few mistakes.

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I must agree havent bought it in months.

Holloway and the lady who write our bit on a friday aint worth reading.

I get the local independent on a sunday morning still.

7 hours ago, Taz said:

Last brought it when I was in Bristol in the summer. Spent about 15 minutes reading it, and that was because there was a few pages on us in it. Rest of the paper took about 3 minutes to skim through, and even then I noticed a few mistakes.

?

7 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

All the local Trinity Mirror titles are beyond cack. Gloucester Citizen and Derby Telegraphs being two ordure-ridden examples, that I have "perused".

Most local papers are now owned by either Reach (Trinity Mirror as was) or Newsquest, and have identikit websites that are full of clickbait shite and stories that aren't relevant to the area they're supposed to serve.

8 hours ago, TomF said:

This is what happens when you sack off all the journos and replace them with graduates that still have acne.

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Most local papers are now owned by either Reach (Trinity Mirror as was) or Newsquest, and have identikit websites that are full of clickbait shite and stories that aren't relevant to the area they're supposed to serve.

Absolutely, guys. But in many they cases don't replace the grown-ups at all.

Where I live was served by three local paper groups: The Western Gazette (Yeovil-Chard-Castle Cary); the Midsomerset Series (Street-Wells-Cheddar) and the Standard & Guardian Series (Midsomer Norton-Frome).

I've calculated in 25 years the editorial staffing of these titles has fallen from 36 to 7. 

They're all produced out of one office in Yeovil now, staff never go out to stories - there isn't time - staff don't know the localities they are writing about and there appears to be no subbing at all.  All the Reach titles in Somerset are a travesty.

Fortunately, things have got so bad that there are some independent titles springing up,  that are worth reading: I'd single out The Leveller (Somerton); Wells Voice and South Bristol Voice as decent little publications I've encountered recently.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Where I live was served by three local paper groups: The Western Gazette (Yeovil-Chard-Castle Cary); the Midsomerset Series (Street-Wells-Cheddar) and the Standard & Guardian Series (Midsomer Norton-Frome).

I've calculated in 25 years the editorial staffing of these titles has fallen from 36 to 7. 

They're all produced out of one office in Yeovil now, staff never go out to stories - there isn't time - staff don't know the localities they are writing about and there appears to be no subbing at all.  All the Reach titles in Somerset are a travesty.

Fortunately, things have got so bad that there are some independent titles springing up,  that are worth reading: I'd single out The Leveller (Somerton); Wells Voice and South Bristol Voice as decent little publications I've encountered recently.

They compare well to the BBC then, anywhere out of London or Manchester might as well be on the moon, if they can't Google it , it doesnt exist!

BTW doesn't The Leveller contribute to otib?

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

They compare well to the BBC then, anywhere out of London or Manchester might as well be on the moon, if they can't Google it , it doesnt exist!

BTW doesn't The Leveller contribute to otib?

I remember listening to The World at One once on Radio Four and while they got the name of Madagascar's president spot on, they mispronounced Frome*.

Re: Leveller.  I think that might just be a coincidence. 

* The two weren't in the same story, I should add. 

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I am in the Leveller catchment area: pretty sure it is Langport/Huish Episcopi-based and not Somerton. Need to keep it this side of The Halfway. 

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I am in the Leveller catchment area: pretty sure it is Langport/Huish Episcopi-based and not Somerton. Need to keep it this side of The Halfway. 

I think the office is in Somerton. It certainly covers Somerton Town Council. One of the nice things about it, is it has items of news from a wide area, even though its core is Somerton/Langport/Huish way.

I like how it covers the ongoing farcical soap opera that is Somerset County Council.

It seems to be the only publication to regularly report meetings: even the SCG doesn't go to much now it's part of Newsquest.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I remember listening to The World at One once on Radio Four and while they got the name of Madagascar's president spot on, they mispronounced Frome*.

Re: Leveller.  I think that might just be a coincidence. 

* The two weren't in the same story, I should add. 

Just joking about Leveller!

8 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Phil is there a issue with the word aint?

You have highlighted it.

Whats the issue?

Hi Louie Louis,

You will recall that the subject of the thread was the increasingly poor standard of journalism, 'Typo's, misspellings, fake news, etc.', in The Bristol Post.

Whilst I have no particular issue with the word 'ain't', the reason I highlighted the word 'aint' in your post was that, like all contractions of auxiliary verbs, e.g. I'm for I am, it's for it is, I've for I have, the word takes an apostophe: you omitted the apostrophe in your post, just as you have with 'whats' in your latest post.

But, no issue.

We'm all friends on 'ere.

Fruitcake alert!

Do you correct everyone on use off words or just the people you dont like?

Imagine sitting next to phil.

Talk about treading on eggshells.

My beef wasnt about spelling if you took the time to read it.

It was about the knowledge of the writers.

Surely you can see that?

A spelling mistake in a newspaper doesnt get me angry.

37 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Fruitcake alert!

Do you correct everyone on use off words or just the people you dont like?

Imagine sitting next to phil.

Talk about treading on eggshells.

My beef wasnt about spelling if you took the time to read it.

It was about the knowledge of the writers.

Surely you can see that?

A spelling mistake in a newspaper doesnt get me angry.

As I said, the subject of the thread was the increasingly poor standard of journalism:

'The standard of journalism is now so poor on our local rag I thought it warranted a thread all of it's own.

Typo's, misspellings, fake news, etc. any subject matter, not just football.

I'll start;

Coss just £110k ?'

When I posted, I sought simply to highlight two (of many) spelling/grammatical errors in the thread that, ironically, especially given the context, I considered amusing.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As I said, the subject of the thread was the increasingly poor standard of journalism:

'The standard of journalism is now so poor on our local rag I thought it warranted a thread all of it's own.

Typo's, misspellings, fake news, etc. any subject matter, not just football.

I'll start;

Coss just £110k ?'

When I posted, I sought simply to highlight two (of many) spelling/grammatical errors in the thread that, ironically, especially given the context, I considered amusing.

The kettle calling the pot a spade .

Archived